WDW Dopey Challenge...

...because the Goofy Challenge just isnt enough!

21 to 40 of 124 messages
08/04/2013 at 13:47

How difficult will it be to get in?
Does it sell out within hours or can I wait a few days?

Likelihood is that I'll be online when registration opens, but just wondered...

08/04/2013 at 19:10

This years Dumbo at Disneyland (California) sold out in 23 hours.

No doubt there are less people running that, as it's a lot smaller resort, but I do expect it to sell VERY fast.

To be sure, the best bet will be to be there at 5pm.

In fact, I am still not sure of the time it starts.  The Dopey video says Noon EasternStandardTime not EDT (daylight savings).  So it would be GMT-5 not BST.  That actually makes it 6pm.

I think I'll be there at 4

08/04/2013 at 19:21
Can't decide what to do! Would like to crack 4 hour marthon - which is probably a tad unrealistic. Would also like to crack 1:50 half marathon which is possibly even more unrealistic. Doing one of those as a PB attempt would mean committing to that event only.

But I can do marathons and half marathons anytime anywhere - where else can you do a Goofy? Which would also take the time pressure off which is not a bad thing bearing in mind it is a holiday. And if you are going to Goofy you may as well Dopey...

But wouldn't a PB be awesome? And they are flat so would be an opportunity.

Bu hubby may do 5k and/or 10k and it would be great to do something with him. So that would mean me Dopeying.

And I'm injured just now and focusing on another September event so that's kind of a spanner in the works and maybe the shorter distances more sensible.

Arrrrgggh someone choose for me!!!
08/04/2013 at 19:50
My advice would be to do the runs for fun. I think it would be a shame to blindly run round trying to chase a pb when there is so much to see and take in.
08/04/2013 at 20:02

The Dumbo had a lot of early entrants at the WDW marathon weekend and over 50% of the places were taken before registration opened 

They don't expect the Dopey to sell out as quickly simply because of the price even the Americans are bulking at it and to some Americans Disney is a religon !!

08/04/2013 at 20:23
How mad is it to chase a time in the HM, then do the marathon in a vaguely get round in one piece Goofy way?
I know you are right Marathon Minnie, but when I think about me doing Dopey/Goofy I think 'that's quite cool' but get excited by Marathon/HM aiming for a time. so maybe I should go with my gut. But if I miss those times then I'll be a misery guts.
Aaaaaarrrrggghhh!!!
08/04/2013 at 20:29

Your half and full marathon times are dependent on how many times you actually stop and get your photo taken with the characters that are on route!! I think i have around 50 pictures with charaters in the marathon this year. The most fun you can have whilst running (very loosely!!) a marathon.

The worst part of the race is actually seeing the finish line since the fun is all over!!

08/04/2013 at 20:39
When I did the marthon in 2010 i didn't stop for photos etc, but you wouldn't believe that from the time I ended up with
08/04/2013 at 21:13
Tell me about it ! 2012 we stopped numerous times. This year our training was a disaster and we were 15 mins slower with no photo breaks. Ouch
08/04/2013 at 21:54

My half marathon PB is still the Goofy half and I've run 25 since.  

09/04/2013 at 12:13

Hats off to you runlozrun

09/04/2013 at 13:16
Hmmmmm interesting. Am thinking that is what to do.

Runlozrun, was that your plan when you signed up or did it just happen? I'm guessing the long miles for marathon training help the endurance for the HM, but thinking I will have to incorporate/adapt speed work to be more HM specific?

So think I'm Goofying then... What a wuss next to you Dopeyers!
09/04/2013 at 14:31

The way Im looking at the Dopey (and I might have to revise this at some point), is that if you've done the training for a marathon, the 5km is a nice slow acclimatisation run and the 10km is a slow shortish training run. They are about giving the legs a little stretch and finishing as unscathed as possible. Then its on to the business end. Take the half-marathon slowly, take on plenty of fuel and fluids and make sure you get to the start line of the marathon with no injuries, niggles or blisters. Then you just tick off the remaining 26.2 miles one-at-a-time!

Easy!

09/04/2013 at 16:40

Pace is set on the last runner crossing the start line and is then 16min mile pace  so is do able for the vast majority of runners. 

09/04/2013 at 17:17

Need an urgent reply, how do I enter an emergency number if I don't live in America?

09/04/2013 at 17:39
Bullit wrote (see)

Need an urgent reply, how do I enter an emergency number if I don't live in America?

I just made one up

09/04/2013 at 17:40
Sorry, just seen this. I think I put the hotel number where I planned to stay.

That was back in 2010, haven't done this years yet. Assume it doesn't like international mobiles?
Edited: 09/04/2013 at 17:42
09/04/2013 at 17:42

Don't believe I've done it, but I just signed up for the Dopey! Can anyone that has done the Disney Marathon trip before please recommend hotels and any other advice. I have not booked anything else yet so any advice at all would be gratefully received. Thanks.

09/04/2013 at 17:58

Thanks for that, I actually put the number of the hotel I should be staying at in the end.  It's not any good for emergencies as I'll be going solo, but at least it got me in.

Big Slow Tel - Welcome aboard.  Personally I intend to stay at the Disney Pop Century resort.  Admittedly the Disney resorts are not the cheapest in the area, but they do have free event transport.  And the Value resorts are not too expensive.

09/04/2013 at 18:00

Good luck on the dopey. You will have a ball.

The last two years i have ran the goofy and stayed onsite at Disney All star sports. The hotel room is basic but absolutely fine since you aren't in it all that much. That way you can take advantage of all the disney free transport between parks and they also provide free buses to ESPN for the expo. On race day they lay on coaches to take you to the start and then when you finish you jump on the one taking you back to your resort. I just found it made things easier and one less thing to worry about. Plus i thought the price of the hotel was pretty resonable as well considering they had a special event on.

Hope this helps a little.

21 to 40 of 124 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.