WDW Dopey Challenge...

...because the Goofy Challenge just isnt enough!

121 to 124 of 124 messages
30/01/2014 at 11:43

Quick query... Has anyone been to Disneyland (California) and run one of their half marathons?  Do you have any suggestions as to where to stay and what to see?

Congrats to Bullit, Gazza81 and everyone else who completed the Dopey - I joined you on the marathon (my first ever) and had a wonderful time!  I have signed up for the half in August to try and get my Coast to Coast.

01/02/2014 at 08:15

I've never run  there, but I have been to Anaheim twice for the Convention Centre, which is just down the road.

There are LOADS of hotels around there, with every price range accounted for.  There are Disneys own properties that are on the expensive side, to the cheaper "no frills" type of place.

I personally haven't decided yet where I'm staying.  I've used the Hilton on the 2 times I went before, but they are a bit pricey, with little in the way of extras.  I am currently looking at 2 places.  The Anahiem Fairfield Inn, which is very near the front gate of Disneyland, and the Clarion which is probably about half a mile away, but a LOT cheaper.

As for things to see and do, other than Disneyland.  Most things are a fair drive away, but easily doable in a day.  I've personally been to Griffifths observatory, Hollywood Boulevard, saw the "Hollywood" sign, and last time my friend and I went to long beach to see the Queen Mary, we were going to go to Universal Studios Hollywood, but didn't have time in the end.  Expect to pay for hotel car parking though, I have yet to find a hotel that doesn't charge, and so tend to just rent a car for a day or two, you don't need one for Disneyland unless you do stay a long way out.

01/02/2014 at 23:26

Done the Disneyland half nice race but very little of it through the parks most through some business districts surrounding. Stayed a cheap motel about 5 mins from the park but must have been a dozen or so hotels within spitting distance  

I left after the half and had a week at Vegas only 4 hours away or 2 and half if you speed 

03/02/2014 at 08:01

Many thanks Bullit and Goofy DD. Very helpful. I think that we will aim at doing a close hotel for the race and then getting out of the centre and exploring the state (not too sure whether it will be north to san fran or south to san diego yet...)

Good luck with your preparations

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
121 to 124 of 124 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.