What to expect at my first half marathon...

... the procedure for the day etc...

21 to 39 of 39 messages
cougie    pirate
08/12/2012 at 22:58
You don't need gels for that distance.
That's one less problem to worry about.
08/12/2012 at 23:00

Ok, stick with sports drinks then!

08/12/2012 at 23:00

Cougie

gels are something ive never been able to hold down

lucozade and sports drinks also leave me feeling yukky

08/12/2012 at 23:02

I've been using those tablets you dissolve in a bottle of water and they are nice, and not fizzy which is good as i don't really like fizzy drinks

08/12/2012 at 23:05

good - as long as it works for you

08/12/2012 at 23:11
Lucozade jelly beans are nice. I use simple Vaseline or lanacaine anti chaffing gel. I also put some compede plasters over the areas of the foot which might get blisters. I also put a bit of Vaseline on my eyebrow seems to stop sweat getting in your eyes. After the race there may or may not be showers. I always bring baby wipes to have quick clean and I put on compression socks as I find I recover well.i uses sis gels and they do a nice belt that holds gels and has a pouch for car keys
08/12/2012 at 23:13

I have loads of vaseline - i swear bit it

though to stop sweat ( or most of it ) getting in or nr my eyes , i wear a cap

08/12/2012 at 23:18
Double tie your laces. Always smile when you see a camera person. Write your name on your top or your number. Chester half and marathon had your name attached and it is really motivating to hear people shouting personal encouragement
08/12/2012 at 23:20
Have some food ready in your bag for afterwards. I typically bring two flasks one with coffee in and another to keep a protein drink in. Plus crisps bloody love em after a run
08/12/2012 at 23:23

ringo

your making me hungary

08/12/2012 at 23:25
Having my last munch before tomorrow's turkey trott half
08/12/2012 at 23:34

enjoy it - we've never run that - always done Bedford HM - but not this year

08/12/2012 at 23:39
Nice run mick bit hilly. The only half I do that sells out in 24 hours
08/12/2012 at 23:42

sells out in 24 hours - well thats credit and well done to the organisers

hills dont bother me, i've pushed Phil around all over Lake district hils and Ashbourne HM - 6, 8 and 12 hour runs and walks

08/12/2012 at 23:47
Love the lakes. Langdale marathon redefined my concept of hills this year. Seen you both at loads of races.
08/12/2012 at 23:50

seen us - have u

Langdale HM - 4 times, they said we'd never get around

Derwent - Buttermere - Newlands Valley 21. 3/4 milers many times - not in actual race, but in summer camp training

08/12/2012 at 23:56
Amazing. That first hill is fun. Hope to see you both at few more. Must stop munching now get my ass to bed for the crack of dawn start. The joy of running!
09/12/2012 at 08:10
Having recently done my first half loads of great advice here.

From me - be prepared for the unexpected - my train was cancelled so plans to get to the start nice and early were scuppered and I literally had to run from the toilets to join the race so no time to get focused on the run (should have done that in the queue for the toilet of course but too busy fretting lol).

Big +1 for ringo's flask suggestion - I spent the last 2-3 miles absolutely gasping for a cup of tea - really bizarre - having a flask in my bag would have been heaven. Not sure about the crisps though ...
10/12/2012 at 17:32

Thanks everyone for all the good advice! Yep, will definately have a flask of tea & crisps (for the OH and son while they are waiting for me to finish no doubt!), baby wipes and a clean t-shirt & hoodie in my rucksack! I think LLR have a tent with refreshments for all their runners so I will head there as soon as I finish to meet up with my family and the LLR team and hope they have some snacks ready for me

Loving the vasaline and plasters suggestions too

BBxx

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 39 of 39 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.