Wicksteed Recovery Run Half-Marathon

Anyone else?

61 to 80 of 145 messages
06/12/2010 at 09:36
Cinders wrote (see)

Congrats on the twins RLR

Well done too Angie, that's a phenomenal lot of weight lost

Thanks Cinders

So do you reckon it'll fill up or would you expect entries on the day to be allowed?

I've still to broach the subject with the wife

07/12/2010 at 14:50
Hope your trainings going well guys. Mine has fallen flat though going to try and force myself to do a 9 miler tomorrow. Was something I was running regularly but been put off by the cold. Will attempt to do a few training runs between now and the event and hoping to go for a Christmas day run.
07/12/2010 at 16:34

Good luck for tomorrow Wexter

I'm not up to 9 yet, done 2 8's though, there's still time.

RLR, don't know about on the day entry, have you mentioned it to your wife yet???

08/12/2010 at 09:32
Wexter wrote (see)
Hope your trainings going well guys. Mine has fallen flat though going to try and force myself to do a 9 miler tomorrow. Was something I was running regularly but been put off by the cold. Will attempt to do a few training runs between now and the event and hoping to go for a Christmas day run.
Can you run during the day (i.e. lunch times).  I have started doing this myself as I don't expect to have much time in the evenings anymore and it's certainly easier going out in daylight and slightly warmer temperatures.
19/12/2010 at 20:23

How's everyone doing? 

I do hope we don't have snow

20/12/2010 at 13:59
The long range forecast for where I live in London is milder by Christmas. Got stuck at work on Saturday and walked 9 miles home.  Good unofficial training. Forced myself to do a 20 minute run today in the snow which felt harder then a 9 mile run.
31/12/2010 at 13:45

Happy Xmas everyone! Glad the snow has gone ( and my chesty / flu). Just downloaded garmin and found last run was Bedford 1/2 marathon. So apart from a 6m 2 days ago I've not been out running! Whooops! Blame SNOW and illness.

Bit worried will struggle tomorrow. However I did knock 9min off PB at Bedford 1/2 .

This is only my 3rd 1/2 marathon. Does anyone know if 5km and 10km racers will start at the same time and place as us? Bit concerned of mayhem, and when it comes to lapping!

Will wickies be charging car park as normal?

Don't drink too much everyone, but have a great New Year.

31/12/2010 at 14:18
the instructions say all races start at 11:11.
31/12/2010 at 14:31
Am fighting off a cold today. Hoping to take it easy tonight and be there tomorrow. Think it starts around 11.00 though I am leaving on a 9.00 a.m train from London so early start. Will be struggling to run a PB which is sub 2 hours the way I am feeling today.
31/12/2010 at 16:37
I really quite fancy this - my wife is working tomorrow early so we aren't going out , though it's a 120 mile round trip I think it could be just the kick start I need to bring in the new year. I'll have to enter when I get there so I suspect 1030 will be the latest to get there really. I won't be going round very quick but it'll be good fun and it the only half available round here tomorrow.
31/12/2010 at 20:30

ive got a further round trip

but im coming to marshall it, but now wish i was running

see you all there i'll be the one with the red spikey hair

31/12/2010 at 21:19

Jane, I'm going to struggle too.  I've not run for 2 weeks and spent the last week with poorly people at home.

See you there though, I've got Cinders on the back of my running vest and I'm number 1844

Happy New Year all

31/12/2010 at 21:47
Cinders - Good luck tomorrow  Hope mummy has nice roast dinner for post race food
31/12/2010 at 22:31
Thanks Tracey
01/01/2011 at 17:39

Hi all,

Just got round to 'rating' the race - oh dear, I was not impressed by this one. If it was a tenner to enter, then I would have felt okay about what I saw, but still slightly ripped off! Where was the event?? Felt like most training runs I do around here. There wasnt even a start/finish line, and no times recorded, no bottles of water at the end - where was the money spent? The only costs I saw were the race numbers, medals and the cups they used on the water station. Was that really £20 a runner to provide???

If this is the standard fare dished up by Ultramarathon.org, I will be staying well clear of these guys again.

01/01/2011 at 18:28
Well if that didn't blow the cobwebs out I'm not sure what will.

I must admit I hadn't realised it was laps, I'm not good with laps but once there I wasn't going to go home. I note that on the main site it says - closed for on the day entry yet if there were 100 people there tops from all 5, 10K and half races, no way they had 600 entries. Good job really as with so few marshals and HQ staff they'd have struggled, whilst everyone was friendly and nice they'd have seen big problems with many more people.

As it was I was OK as I'm an experienced runner, this was like a race paced training run. The hilly and often dreary 3 .5 lap course was a real mental challenge, freezing cold and soaking wet in the rain -what kept me going was the thought of a flask of coffee I had brought in the van just as an afterthought. With no where at the race for hot drinks I was glad of it.

I got entry on the day for £20 as the lady said there wouldn't be a medal - no problem I have loads of them , but with no goody bags and no drinks at the end I too was left wondering where the £20 went, marker tapes and a box of medals.

As I said everyone was very nice and with my 1:57 I'm happy but I'd think again before doing another race with this company - especially an ultra, with so little race management.

I did feel sorry for the few marshal that were there standing in the cold waiting for the handful of runners.
01/01/2011 at 18:42
Phil miles 4 - you must have been the guy I was speaking to whose partner was waiting ! , I'm the bloke in the red T shirt that came in the same time as you!.

Thank god I had a flask in the van!

I *do* feel better now - especially after a plate of stew and a nice cup of tea, plus a good film on TV!
01/01/2011 at 20:51

Mike,

Spot on, its was me, I have often seen your name on these forums, nice to put a face to the name!

Glad you feel better for it - I do having had my rant on the 'rating' section......

Trust we will both find better runs this year - I haven't booked anything yet, as running partner is injured, and I need to do some serious gym work, but will gladly say hi next time we cross paths, and buy you a beer!

01/01/2011 at 21:34

Unfortunately I have to agree with you all.This was the worst event I have entered. Sorry.

First though thank you to the marshalls, especially the 2 at the first road junction. Shame weren;t marshalls on every road crossing!

Family came to support me but no cafe facilities - this is poor on wicksteads part. But other races in the middle of nowhere have provided catering vans - tea/ coffee baccon buttys - I am sure supporters and runners would have appreciated this.

Confusion over exact route - 3 x .. but  park bit x 4!

No signage - to the start. Where the finish point was? No time on show! No milage signs on course. No beware runners on course.

BUT MOST DISAPOINTING WAS THE MEDAL - i ONLY ENTERED BECAUSE I THOUGHT THE IDEA OF A MEDAL ENGRAVED WITH 1.11.11 WAS FANTASTIC. VERY DISAPOINTED TO GET MEDAL WITH OUT THIS OR EVEN THE YEAR ON IT!

Good luck with organising other events! I hope you learn from this.

Thanks once again to all marshalls

01/01/2011 at 21:39

Can't thank the marshalls enough. Thanks guys for waiting out there, I was at the back end, ended up around 2.23 but did try to say thanks to you all.

But sorry, won't be back

61 to 80 of 145 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.