Wicksteed Recovery Run Half-Marathon

Anyone else?

101 to 120 of 145 messages
03/01/2011 at 17:01

Kaybee,

I am pretty laid back normally as well, but felt compelled to email the organisers raising some of these issues, trying to be a little diplomatic in the process. I have encouraged them to read this forum and the ratings/race reviews, as too many people have used phrases such as 'ripped off','never again', 'dangerous', 'disaster' the list is endless. I have suggested they dont reply to me, but to all the runners who took part either through their own website, or on here. Sadly, I get the feel that either they are desperate for money (I know times are hard, but....) or they are too wound up in trying to raise their own egos they have forgotten the real reason people are willing to pay to run in races. I hope I am wrong, and they have the decency to reply properly, and offer some insight into what it took to 'organise' this race, and why they failed to achieve even the most basic requirements of a race.

I will let you know if anything comes of it......

03/01/2011 at 17:05

Be interesting Phil if you do get a reply!

Those reviews almost seem funny given Saturday's shenanigans!  Tea, biccies and a banana would have been so nice!  Was there any water at the end or had they just packed up by the time I got there?

03/01/2011 at 17:08

Just a point for whoever said back there that those at the back could gain from this? err... gain what, please?! I was 3rd from last, just legging past one bloke I'd run with on/off for a while, and 3 mins or so ahead of the last guy. I don't think we gained anything!

It was my 29th half in about 18 years, and I'm not sure there was a single positive I could find. My time was 1/2 hour off my target (though that's due to the chest infection rather than the route or organisation) and it was just an extra 1/2 hour of boredom, drudgery and misadventure.

Since when does a runner with a mile to go have to queue at the water station, standing still, so a finisher can top up a water bottle? why should I have to shout "where's the finish line?"?! or even on the first lap "which way?"?!!!

Please someone from UM write a comment. We don't hate you, we just wish you had organised a race and given us something worth paying for. I travelled 160 miles round trip, paying as much in petrol as for the entry fee. I got a cheap medal, nothing else. I could have run with clubmates on a well organised 10k locally, but wanted to run a half. According to my Garmin, it wasn't even that, but 340 yards short... quite alot, really!

I actually would like to do this run again; the novelty idea was great, a half on NYD is a great start to the year, but a rip off that seemed like it was planned at the New Year's Eve party 12 hours before? Sorry, no.

03/01/2011 at 17:15

The only water that I believe was available was from the water station - someone commented that they were still running when a finisher was getting a drink, and he had to wait before carrying on running!!

No bottled water, which you can get for around 15p a bottle (I work for a cash & carry - there is one in Kettering) so no excuse there about cost in my opinion, and poor in not having any at the finish 'area'. I dont recall any first aid arrangements at the end either - surely thats the place where most people are going to need medical assistance, not at the back of the housing estate after a nice downhill where the ambulance was parked?!?!

03/01/2011 at 17:46
Iccle Jim - I'm sorry I was just trying to find *something* positive for newbies who might have been on their first Half or those struggling with training perhaps for VLM. Obviously for an experienced runner like yourself , like me , you couldn't really gain anything - personally it was the mental torture I needed to set in place the need for more training for Stratford Marathon.

I was the bloke in the Campervan(yellow and white) cheering on people whilst trying to warm up.

The whole thing was a bit of a balls up and no mistake.

As to the water it was two little lads who'd been roped in , their mother told me! So if they'd said no then what?

Kaybee - great to hear from you, I was seeing many 10K runners doing the various laps , many looked like they were all done in.
03/01/2011 at 18:08

Thanks Mike - it was a bit of a slog.  I was originally entered in the Half but bounced myself into the 10k following an injury before Christmas.  Needless to say I was extremely relieved about that decision on the day!  I really felt for the people slogging round the half.

At first the organisers said I'd need a new number but when I got there they said no just run with your original number - it goes without saying that the poor marshals then kept trying to direct me round the half route - like we weren't all confused enough already....

Oh and you couldn't miss me, I was the one dressed as superwoman.  I can only hope my sorry bedraggled less-than-superhuman state gave someone a smile!

Phil - yes, do please let us know if you hear anything back from the organisers.

03/01/2011 at 18:17
I remember the Superman outfit! At least you were in the right mood - I felt that many thought there would be more atmosphere, more like a big summer half or 10K , this was like a dreary training run.

All things considered I feel great today - went for a great walk this morning and gym with my wife this afternoon. Work tomorrow
03/01/2011 at 18:23

I saw you KB   I ran London in 2005 as Superwoman!

My legs aren't happy today, they are objecting!

03/01/2011 at 18:44

Didn't race this one, thank goodness, by the sound of it.

Did someone who had already finished really have the arrogance to continue filling their own bottle up, when someone who was still out running the course wanted a drink?

That deserves a slap.

03/01/2011 at 18:56

Stevie G,

In a little fairness, it wasnt easy to tell who was running, who wasnt, and who had finished, and as Mike pointed out earlier, there were two young lads (looked about 10?) manning the water station. There was absolutely no control over any of the event in the park, and the 'organiser' was sat in his car facing the other way to the course writing down times of finishers - I hope that the person getting the drink wasnt fully aware that he was depriving another runner who was still running, and the next closest source of water (other than the lake) was a shop 1/2 mile away! The organisers provided nothing other than the one water station, which was in a pretty poor location.

There were pedestrians all over the paths that we were running along, seemingly oblivious to us at times...really had to have your wits about you in the park - sounded like 1 runner did collide with someone else, which given the size of the field, tells you how chaotic it was.

You really had to be there to believe it!!!

03/01/2011 at 18:58

Kaybee,

Saw the outfit, it was more than appropriate for the occassion. I had a fleeting thought the day before that I would run in my Gorilla outfit (Great Gorilla Run in London - awesome!) but having sweated around an 8km course in it, a half may just have been a bit much!!

Did I see you running with a fairy??

03/01/2011 at 19:06

I did consider this (the 10k, not the half) but have heard negative things about the organisation and so decided against. The organisers have been on here before, and have comented on more popular events (here, for example)

If the event was that bad, someone might want to let Wickstead Park itself know, there are quite a few UM events here, and if they're all as bad as this one sounded, then the park might want to know and reconsider their relationship.

It's a shame, they organise a lot of events that would be local. I'd like to support the venues, but don't feel it's worth it.

03/01/2011 at 19:07

I was indeed running with a fairy, that was one of my running friends who I had persuaded to dress up on the grounds that it was New Year's Day and there would probably be a bit of atmosphere and crowd support and it would generally go down well.

Probably best if I DON'T repeat what she said to me after the race...

03/01/2011 at 19:20
Aw go on KB, let us know what she said!
03/01/2011 at 19:23

Helen Liz,

Thats interesting - did you contact Lloyd so that he could clear up what you were insinuating - he got a bit defensive there! But you're right, the website is very vague, and I hadnt noticed the 'support Llyod and Shirley as they run around the world' tag.

Interesting to note also, hes quick enough to promote the event, and engage in one on one conversation to get people into the races, and to take some adulation (he had 3 positive replies, and replied to each) yet has been absent on here?

03/01/2011 at 19:38
Kaybee - I saw the fairy too, gamely pressing on in the rain up the hills. Well done on finishing either way. It was all a bit dreary wasn't it, a shame. But *do* tell us what she said!

Helen Liz - I've read the link you put there, seems the organiser is somewhat *defensive* , almost hostile to criticism. Not a good trait. I'm hoping the whole *but it's for Charridee* card isn't used.
03/01/2011 at 19:57
I don't see the Lloyd and shirley run the world thing on the site anymore, perhaps they aren't doing it anymore. The charities mentioned are wholly worthwhile but they need to deliver a race first.
03/01/2011 at 20:54

Found this on that other thread .................. 

That is something we are working on!  At Wicksteed we have managed to negotiate a 50% reduction in entry fee to the car park but Stanwick are resistent to doing similar.  The main difference between Wicksteed and Stanwick being the auto barrier at the latter; it's far easier to get a 50% reduction/free parking if the entry/exit is managed by a man in a box

Does this mean they do other runs around Wicksteed?  If so why haven't they learned some lessons!

Edited: 03/01/2011 at 20:55
03/01/2011 at 21:19
Note the single review from Michael Mayes saying we shouldn't call ourselves runners as this race ticked all the boxes!! Note the lack of posts or anything - the organisers trolling their own race??

Mind you there was a bloke doing this on the EDF Birmingham half thread, another race that went very pear shaped but that time for thousands of runners!.
03/01/2011 at 21:23
Maybe they have run other races there, but have changed the name so that entrants dont look at the previous forum threads/ratings about them!? I cant find any.......
101 to 120 of 145 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.