Winter Tanners - What amazing value!!!

1 to 20 of 82 messages
02/10/2010 at 18:28

Wow I can't believe there are still events out there charging less than a tenner entry!! And £2.50 is simply unbelievable value!!!! How could I say no to that

Any other runners doing the 30 miler? I can't wait... Looking forward too, to a bit of old fashioned navigation

02/10/2010 at 20:17
It's a ldwa event so you'll most likely find food included as well .
03/10/2010 at 10:08
......on looking at website probably not as it is a 'minimalst' event.  Still great value and can actually get a train to start early Sun. am.  Def. interested.
03/10/2010 at 17:26

I did this last year. It's a good event to blow out the Christmas cobwebs. I'm in again.

03/10/2010 at 21:01
Great event did it in 2009.
03/10/2010 at 21:21
I did this last year, certainly hope to do it again this time - it's a great run. Yes you will get food and the cuppa tea at the last checkpoint was really welcome last year!
11/10/2010 at 13:29
Cheque being posted today
11/10/2010 at 13:33

Posted my cheque off today. I have fancied doing a LDWA event for a while.
How is the navigation? Anything to worry about?

11/10/2010 at 13:59

This is one of my favourite events.  If you are wibbling just do it... beautiful scenery, lots of mud and hills, the routes are easy to follow and you get tea and coffee on the way round.

I'll be there, probably doing the 20 unless I can get my backside into gear...

12/10/2010 at 11:32

Its an LDWA event, they're always good value compared to the running clubs. I help run the West Lancs events and it'll be about £7 for a 20+ mile route with food and drink at most checkpoints, pie & peas at the end and a certificate

Makes you wonder how a running club can charge £12 for a half marathon and all you get is a couple of cups of water!

R

14/11/2010 at 19:50
I've read good reviews of the LDWA events.  Doing the 30 miler as a training run for a 50 miler in Jun 11.  The Winter Tanner is certainly a good reason for not porking out over Xmas.  Look forward to meeting like minded lunatics.
14/11/2010 at 21:18

I've just seen this and will probably do the 20 miler. Have done my first race today (Half marathon) and enjoyed it so much that I'm really fired up now to do more and over longer distances in preparation to attempt my first Marathon in April (Brighton).  

Sounds like fun and fab value for money. It's the day before I go on holiday for 2 weeks so will have plenty of time to recover.

25/11/2010 at 13:43

Yep I'll be along for the 30 as part of my final MdS training. Not sure january in Surrey will quite mimic April in Morocco but hey it all helps!

26/11/2010 at 17:33
As ling as I don't break my leg skiing over NY I'll be there too, I think it was snowed off last year though.
meface    pirate
26/11/2010 at 22:20

I will be doing this for the umpteenth time.

Car Park is free on Sundays and/or train station is only a couple of hunded yards away. Check points with water and squash, tea normally at the last cheque point with biscuits. Turn up and go start so no hanging around.

Different route every year. Directions given and if followed carefully no map is normally required. Absolutely no signs/marshals so a map may be a handy back-up.

The entry fee is between £2 and £5 for LDWA members at the cheapest end to £5 on the day. Provides awesome value. They post a certificate out later and manage to donate a couple of hundred quid to charity as well.

An excellent event put on for very little money - no energy gels, no sponsorship, no t-shirts, no mugs, medals or junk.

Meface

02/12/2010 at 15:10

You also have to big up the organiser and those friendly and supportive folk at the check points....thanks peeps...see you again this year 

11/12/2010 at 18:49
Does anyone have any idea how easy it is to find your way in this? I am walking it, but I have a hopeless sense of direction. Is a map a good idea, and if so, what map? Obviously a road map would be useless, so presumably an ordnance survey one. Where can I get one, and what scale does it need to be to be of any use ?
13/12/2010 at 11:03
They  roecomend Ordinance Survey Landranger 186 and 187 or Explorer 145 and 146. I usually use Landranger maps I think the Explorer has more detail. You can get them formt he Ordinance Survey website and they are pretty good and quick in terms of delivery.
Personally I don't know if I am going to bother getting the maps. I feel like I should but I am not much cop at map reading so not sure how much of a help they would be even if I did get them.   
13/12/2010 at 15:52
The route sheets which are provided are very detailed, and as long as you concentrate there is no reason to get lost. However, if you do happen to get lost, then a pre-marked map could help out as a backup.
13/12/2010 at 22:02
Thanks Mr Guy and Dino. I didn't realize that route sheets were provided, I thought we just went blundering off into the wide blue yonder! They should be enough for me - if I get lost using those I'd probably be just as lost with a map, but I might take one along, just in case.
1 to 20 of 82 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.