Witham Boxing Day 5

Anyone else doing it?

1 to 20 of 66 messages
13/11/2006 at 19:37
I love this race - it's a perfect excuse to get out of a second day of family at Christmas (sorry, I'm such a Bah Humbug about Christmas).
13/11/2006 at 21:52
Oh yes indeedie Trieshard!
Looking forward to it for the same reason!
13/11/2006 at 22:01
If I weren't in the Brecons I'd have been joining you. Hopefully will be racing that day anyway. ;o)
jel
14/11/2006 at 20:17
yep I agree - I havent done this for a few years now but will definately be running it with my wife this year. Breaks up the Christmas holiday nicely. Am trying to get some friends from footie and work to do it also...
jel
16/11/2006 at 13:32
Excellent some forumites coming to my clubs race ;-)

See you all on the day I will be marshalling. Pls say hello or wave if you can't speak ;-0

19/11/2006 at 19:34
Now you've got me wondering whether I can do this race on the way between Kent and the Norwich City vs. Southend United match on the same day!
BIF
19/11/2006 at 20:21
A very well organised run over a fast course followed by an easy 3 points in Norfolk (If they played like they did today)a great way to finish off the Christmas break?
20/11/2006 at 10:46
AB2 - how will we recognise you?!
21/11/2006 at 13:59
Did this last year (my first race) and am hoping to improve my time this year. Didn't much like the uphill start and remember thinking someone must have pinched the 4 mile marker!!

My partner is doing it too this year and it will be his first race.

23/11/2006 at 20:40
Just about all the comments seem to be pretty favourable about this race so I will definetely be doing this one.

Having done a couple of 10k's so far I'm hoping that I might go a bit quicker over 5 miles though I guess a lot will depend on the conditions on the day.

There doesn't seem to be many other races in Essex for a while in the 5-10k range so another good reason for doing it. Roll on the 26th !
jel
24/11/2006 at 11:02
Have posted my entry - hopefully it will be an ideal distance for me as I have "blown a gasket" in the last 2 10ks at about the 8k mark!!

Looking forward to it - I wish there were more races though!
jel
24/11/2006 at 11:38
Join a club boys and girls there are loads of cross countries in the next few weeks.
24/11/2006 at 11:42
Love cross countries!!

Im doing Witham as well :)
24/11/2006 at 12:03
Cross countries suck! I've come last in the last two I've done and now I'm not doing anymore. Springfield Strider will appriciate this - even the men started to overtake me, I was that far behind :-(

24/11/2006 at 12:17
Well done TriesHard for at least giving it a go. Sounds like you did Essex League. Most of the other leagues the men and women run together.

Those that have not tried a XC (technical term) might be pleasantly surprised. You won't get a medal at the end though.

Sorry Witham for hijacking thread.
jel
24/11/2006 at 13:46
Where do I find about XC races? I have searched the www but to no avail - is it only available to club runners? Would a "plodder" like me be unsuitable? So many questions! ;-)

Ta

jel
jel
24/11/2006 at 14:13
Most XC require you to be a member of a club. But the 53 12 League and the Mid Essex League let guests run for a small charge. Details available on most Essex club's websites www.springfieldstriders.org.uk obviously being my favourite.

There are plenty of "plodders" just like any road race.
24/11/2006 at 14:47
Im a plodder, near to the back but still love xc!

Give it a go!
24/11/2006 at 14:53
I plod at the back - I get round. To get round was enough, but last twice is a bit much and I've not improved.

SS - yes I am in the Essex League. Do you do the South East Essex Sunday XC League as well? There's a double header this weekend, isn't there?! Good luck if you do them. I like both those courses (Hockly and Stubbers), both relatively flat, from what I remember, better than Gloucester Park, that's for sure!!!
24/11/2006 at 14:59
Please dont give up too quickly TH, I was always at the back at xc for at least 6 months, then slowly but surely I started to improve and overtake people who I would never have overtaken.

Such a good feeling.

So nice to give your knees and joints a rest as well by running on soft ground rather than pounding concrete
1 to 20 of 66 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.