Wokingham 2011 - Help with PB

Last race before 40th Birthday

9 messages
05/02/2011 at 12:37

Help ....... with a PB.

I will be running Wokingham Half on the 13th Feb, the following day I will be 40 !!  I would love to get a PB before I become a Veteran Runner.   Lots of my family and friends are coming to watch so really important to me.

Can you help ??  I have a PB of 1.47 acheived at the Reading Half in 2010 and I have been training 5 times a week since Jan 1st, I would love to run with you if you can help me get a PB.

Looking to get a 1.45

Let me know

Thanks FH 

05/02/2011 at 14:11

You'll be fine Funny Hat.

Work out what pace you need to do per mile, start off at that pace, and after 2-3miles the pack will probably have settled, and you'll have plenty of similar paced people around.

05/02/2011 at 15:57

Cheers Stevie.

Just like to run and have a bit of a chat with someone, my normal running buddy is going for a quick time himself, when I ran with him last year I got a PB at Wokingham, Bath and Reading !

Do you think if I wear my hat,  RW people will spot me and run with me ? 

05/02/2011 at 18:23

chatting in a race? don't know about that.

Although when I did Gosport in November,a guy was barking some encouragement to our little gang!

wear a big sign

05/02/2011 at 18:53
Perhaps if I did a little less chat I might get even quicker !! Will give it a go at Wokingham and report back.

No running partner required, unless of course you want to race and no chat !!
05/02/2011 at 19:20

Funny Hat - i normally ask around at the start line what sort of times people are expecting so i make sure i get in the right pace group.   For me though it's a case of making sure i'm not too far forward.

Good luck.  I have an entry for Wokingham, but i have a bit of an injury so questionable as to whether or not i'll even make it to the start line...............

12/03/2011 at 10:45

Did a PB 1.41 : 47

Happy days !!

12/03/2011 at 12:26

well done Funny hat.

Wokingham is always good for a PB except for last year garmin time last year 1.39.57 official 1.40.04. I had to wait until September of the same year to get officially below 1.40.

A bit windy and cold this year and seemed harder than last year.  

I am a veteran runner (43) actually find I am getting faster and now down into the 1.38 area (not quite Stevie G times)

well done

12/03/2011 at 13:52

Nice work Funny Hat, and cheers Ringo!

Easy for me to say at 29, but I believe age is no barrier, unless you really smashed the mileage hard when you were younger. I know I didn't, so as I work harder now, the times are nicely dropping.

Will be the same for you 2 fellas as well.

One check of your average race results, normally shows there are a hell of a lot of vets doing fast times.

We move  the Reading half now, next sunday. Never time to rest on a pb!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
9 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.