Women only races / Events

Why and should there be women only races Agree or disagree

1 to 20 of 25 messages
09/05/2013 at 20:26

We have been discussing on a facebook running wall Kathrine Switzer and the prejudice that she endured at the 1967 Boston Marathon, and how far the world has moved on since. The discussion then moved onto how many women only events there are such as the race for life. Now my questions are why and is this reverse sexism? 

I don't think its due to skill levels, the majority of women I run with are far better runners than I am  or will ever be. Can't see being due embarrassment, as the Parkruns are well attended, and events are not carried out under cover. I only ask as I would love to run the Race For Life for  personal reasons, but as a man it seems I am not allowed, if it was the other way round it would be news in the Daily Mail  Will be interesting to see your thoughts.

09/05/2013 at 20:32

I always thought it was pointless, why set up a charity that only 50% of the running population can attend.

09/05/2013 at 20:50

Stixnick if you want to run a men only race you can http://www.mens10k.com, don't recall the Daily Mail getting in a lather about it, that paper seems more concerned slagging women for being too fat/thin/old/young/wearing make-up during a marathon etc etc

09/05/2013 at 21:05

I work in an office where there are 2 women who will only ever do the race of for life, there are a number of these races in my region. I have tried to persuade them to try a parkrun. They say they feel more comfortable doing these ladies only races as they are feel intimidated in open races. Sadly even in these enlightened days there are still some men how cannot take been beaten by a women, just stand at a finish line and see how many men put in an extra effort to catch a woman in front of them.

09/05/2013 at 21:15

Wow, had this debate more times than I care to count.

Some people agree some don't. There IS  no concensus, you will find this out whether this thread gets 10 replies or 1000.

09/05/2013 at 21:22

@Vellooo I knew I would be proved wrong , however I would never entre a gender spesific race, The thing I love about our sport, is apart from the ellite races, we can all compeatt together regardless of gendre, relegion or race.  Do agree about the Daily Mail's pathetic attempt of bad mouthing celebs doing marathons.

@Roball, its a shame your collegues feel that way, as the parkrun is great run out for all levels. I must admit to trying to catch the person in front close to the finish male or female, but thats racing.

09/05/2013 at 21:29

I won't do women-only races.  I don't like anything that excludes half the population - whichever half!

As for competitiveness - I put in extra effort to get past runners in front of me at the finish, whatever their gender.  I think many runners of both genders do.  I don't care if some bloke runs past me in the last ten meters - it's a RACE.

09/05/2013 at 21:30

That Screampillar is what a good debate is all about.

10/05/2013 at 08:13

It's only a good debate when it hasn't already been done three or four times a year every year.

Carry on though....

Edited: 10/05/2013 at 08:14
Pudge    pirate
10/05/2013 at 08:16
roball wrote (see)

Sadly even in these enlightened days there are still some men how cannot take been beaten by a women, just stand at a finish line and see how many men put in an extra effort to catch a woman in front of them.

In fairness, it is bloody annoying being "chicked" in any event, so the extra effort is totally worth it! 

10/05/2013 at 09:28

I would put in extra effort to 'chick' a bloke if I thought it was likely to piss him off. Do you always wear that neon yellow top, Pudge? I'll look out for you. 

Pudge    pirate
10/05/2013 at 09:32
literatin wrote (see)

I would put in extra effort to 'chick' a bloke if I thought it was likely to piss him off. Do you always wear that neon yellow top, Pudge? I'll look out for you. 

Oh crap!  It's one of many neon yellow tops that I own (I have an odd preference for dressing like ravey davey when I'm running).  However, maybe I'll start racing in less conspicuous clothing, because you probably would 'chick' me without too much effort required!

10/05/2013 at 10:29

Kathrine Switzer made a career out of organising women-only races, including the very successful Avon Marathons (which was the first marathon to be run in London, the year before Chris Brasher and John Disley got their act together).  

10/05/2013 at 15:23

Didn't the Windsor to Chiswick Marathon count then as a 'London Marathon'?

10/05/2013 at 15:31

London and Greater London and Maidenhead marathon maybe

10/05/2013 at 15:46

It's such a shame when there are so many good events including parkruns that people miss out on. I would have thought training alone would be more intimidating, than racing with a crowd. Sorry Screampillar, but I am new to this forum malarky, but feel free to ignore if you wish.

10/05/2013 at 15:58
xine267 wrote (see)

Kathrine Switzer made a career out of organising women-only races, including the very successful Avon Marathons (which was the first marathon to be run in London, the year before Chris Brasher and John Disley got their act together).  

It seems a shame to me that a woman who went to great lengths to get round a discriminatory ban on competing would then put so much effort into organsing races which discriminate against people because of their gender.

10/05/2013 at 16:56

As a bit of a barometer I had to cancel the Liverpool Women's 10K this year due to declining interest in the event in recent years. Conversely the female entries in the Liverpool Half Marathon and Tunnel 10K events have increased over the same period.

Would seem women only races (other than fund raising fun runs) have had their day.

That said the doesn't the Glasgow Women's event still attract big numbers??

10/05/2013 at 17:12
Edited: 10/05/2013 at 17:13
10/05/2013 at 19:20
roball wrote (see)

Sadly even in these enlightened days there are still some men how cannot take been beaten by a women, just stand at a finish line and see how many men put in an extra effort to catch a woman in front of them.

How do you know their effort is any higher than if it was a man they were trying not to lose to?

I personally don't discriminate, I hate to lose to everyone equally

1 to 20 of 25 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.