Wycombe Half Marathon 2012

Who is coming?

1 to 20 of 76 messages
25/06/2012 at 12:55

Firstly, apologies, if I have just opened a duplicate thread (I did check the other threads but could not find anything veyr similar...)

Just wanted to find out who is coming to this race this year?

If you have done the Wycombe Half before, what is the most important advice you would give to someone who has done a few half marathons before but not this one? How would you describe the race terrain in one word, e.g. "vicious", "smooth" etc.?

25/06/2012 at 13:00

Im not a fast runner, Timi... but...

Watch out for the hill..... after about 1 kilomotre, its about 70m in elevation..... Marlow/ Dawes Hill, if you are local!!.... check the course on mapmyrun, there is a similar downhill at mile 5/6, I think, for the Half. Not an easy course!

25/06/2012 at 13:42

I'm in - not done this event before....

25/06/2012 at 14:08

I would say also..... brillant start.. its at the Rye (a park), and the first 200-400m or so are on grass. There is little or no delay to get over the line and its a wide stretch, so theres no having to stop/ slow down for runners once you are off, but do watch out for too quick a start, that hill will find you out!.

Absolutely brilliant goody bag.... tech t-shirt, an loads of lovely little things, worth the entry fee in itself. The t-shirt is a good one, too, not too much advertising on it.

25/06/2012 at 22:38

Ran it last year on my birthday, agree with Voley about the great goody bag and nice loud t-shirt.  The hill at the start is quite incredible, you go through clouds and everything, you'll love it Andy   

26/06/2012 at 07:42

Thanks for the info guys - I'd better bring some oxygen and watch out for nosebleeds then.

Loz - if I'm late for Tony's wedding, it's because I'm still making my way up "that" hill.....

28/06/2012 at 23:03

yep agree on the hill its a killer so early on, very well organised race though and the widest start line ive ever been on ,great goody bag aswell

29/06/2012 at 20:31

The interesting thing with this course, is that you can generally smash the first hill, even though it's a full mile long, because it's so early and you have the energy and enthuiasm still.

What really makes this a tough course, is that there's so many slight ups and downs, a very steep 1/2mile downhill at about 6miles, and a last 5miles that climb about 100feet, nothing to the naked eye, but something your legs can certainly feel. Very hard to keep a rhythm I find.

Done the half 6 times now, and the 10k 3 times. Weighing up this year's options...a hilly half in potentially hot weather doesn't always feel the best option these days

Edited: 29/06/2012 at 20:32
30/06/2012 at 09:01

My 11th Wycombe Half in a row this year!

I'd agree with Stevie. Definitely worth saving energy on the first hill though as you will pay for it later if you don't. Practice a steep downhill too if you can. Nice and relaxed is the way, or your quads will curse you in the later miles!

The finish on the Rye is great, especially if its a nice day and the corwds turn up, but just be aware that you do a big loop around the park, so you can hear the comentator (and his cheesy jokes!) and feel very close to the end quite a long time before you actually get there!

Oh, and lastly - hope there's not a headwind blowing down the valley! A few years ago, a combination of the last 4 miles very, very slightly uphill and a gale force, constant wind funnelled along the valley in the face nearly finished me off!

While you're there, if its a warm day, you can take a towel and have a swim in the outdoor pool afterwards....

30/06/2012 at 12:44

Yep, remember that the race isn't to the 1mile marker, and ignore any old women saying stupid things like "they've done the hard part now"

Also, never smoke an imaginary cigar to a marshall pal at 7miles, as sods law dictates that a few mins later you suddenly won't feel so comfortable

30/06/2012 at 14:01

A real one is ok though

30/06/2012 at 20:20

agree with that bus, you can hear the mc well before the finish, caught me out  treat on my first time last year when i upped my pace  thinking i was nearly  at the finish line

03/07/2012 at 14:59

I'm still waiting on my number has anyone got theirs yet ?

03/07/2012 at 16:13

did 3miles of my 6miles at MP along a bit of the route today. Reminded me that the spell between Bourne End and Wooburn is pretty barren!

04/07/2012 at 09:36

LRR - I've not had my racepack yet neither

07/07/2012 at 22:53
No race pack for me either
08/07/2012 at 08:17

Mine arrived on friday.  Looking forward to this one.

08/07/2012 at 12:32

Still trying to decide on the 10k v half...

The half is the bigger challenge with more esteem, but then the 10k is a good way to take part and not monster yourself.

Have done the half 6 times in the past, but over the last 4 years I've favoured the 10k...(3times 10k and once half)

Decisions!

09/07/2012 at 22:27

pack arrived today. looks like a hard race.

10/07/2012 at 08:28

I have my pack - ready to plod now 

1 to 20 of 76 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.