Yorkshire 3 Peaks Race 2012

footwear & training advice

6 messages
12/03/2012 at 13:16

Hi all,

signed up for the Yorkshire 3 Peak's race in April but not sure what shoes to wear. I walked the route a few times but its been a couple of years since I last did it and not sure what footwear would be best. From memory it has a mix of all sorts from steep grassy sections to trails, paths and a bit of road.

If anybody has done this race before can you suggest whether studded fell shoes would be best or whether agressive trail shoes would be a better option?

Can anybody help with training advice too as I am fairly new to this type of event - I have completed a medium and long fell run already but this is a much longer (and hillier) prospect. I have put together a training program buts its just something I have adapted from a traditional marathon training program to incorperate off-road work and hill sessions but I would appreciate any structured training programs (or advice on the level of milage and type of terrain/hill work).

Its getting close now and starting to get a bit nervous!

12/03/2012 at 17:24
Have a look at the race website http://www.threepeaksrace.org.uk/index.html for a starter. If you click on the "Course" link in the list on the left, it takes you to some useful information, including a route card with splits for the various checkpoints.

There will also be information/discussion etc. on the FRA forum
http://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/showthread.php?13258-Three-Peaks-Fell-Race/page321 - you're more likely to get answers/advice there than on what is mainly a road running forum.

Don't underestimate the challenging nature of this race, especially the timed cut-offs at Ribblehead and the Hill Inn - I help marshal at the Hill Inn, so I'm speaking from experience. Don't just think about the training, think about your hydration and eating plans as well and try them out beforehand.
12/03/2012 at 18:25

Thanks, realised this is a very tough race before I signed up so just want to be as prepared as possible - thanks for the advice and will check out the FDA forum.

13/03/2012 at 20:57

I've always fancied doing this race, but realised it would be too much for me. I have jogged the 3 peaks (well the downhill and flat bits), but would struggle with the cut off times at Ribblehead (might just make this actually) but definately struggle with the Hill Inn one, although I think the race route takes a slightly shorter route to the walkers path.

Anyway, what I wanted to say was that I thought to be allowed entry to the race it was necessary to show some evidence of experience with endurance running. Therefore Riichard, I am a little surprised when you say you are new to this event and especially asking for training advice so close to race day.

Have the entry requirements been relaxed I wonder.

14/03/2012 at 08:32

Hi Phil, I'm not sure the entry requirements have been relaxed but for those who haven't completed the last 3 years events the requirements are to have completed 2 Medium or Long A fell races or sub 3hr 20min marathons (both of which I have done) - I think the event is full now but you can still get a place on the waiting list if you are interested. I am a competant edurance runner and currently training hard for the event but as this is my first proper MM I just after training tips from previous participants. thanks anyway....

14/03/2012 at 10:08

Ok Richard, sounds like you should be fit enough - Fishy mentions hydration and eating plans, I've read that you can have your own supplies left at key points over the course - would be wise to use this facilty I think. When I jogged it, it was a hot day 20c+ and I did not carry enough liquid.

Amazes me how some guys can cover this course in under 3 hours, supreme athletes I think.

Good luck Richard, hope it goes well for you

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
6 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.