Yorkshire marathon 2013

201 to 220 of 1,075 messages
14/06/2013 at 12:51

Thanks for the good luck wishes.  The race is called the Hendon Brook half-marathon (even though it's longer than half-marathon distance.......grrr!).  I'm still a bit petrified but I'm sure I'll enjoy myself once I've got started .  I'll be sure to let you know how it goes.

Hope everyone has a great weekend.

14/06/2013 at 13:20

My training a taking a bit of a rest - off to The Picos mountains in Northern Spain for a week of walking. Running shoes going too though! Happy long run folks. 

14/06/2013 at 16:47

Oh dear, just got in from long slow run and my Garmin is refusing to upload the run. And after I've been singing its praises too! Have tried a forced send, the data is sending, but then the Ant says upload failed. Any suggestions anyone? I wonder if it is on its way out - over 3 years old, takes ages to find the satellites too.  Hubby did say I can have a new one for my birthday ... 

14/06/2013 at 17:13

Hi all, this is not the Yorkshire Marathon but there is a great 10k Challenge run in the Peak District this summer!

So, why not step up your summer fitness plan and don your running shoes this July to support Alive & Kicking- a UK registered charity who makes affordable & durable sports balls to innovatively address real need in Africa. 

Saturday, 6th July 2013 marks the sixth anniversary of the 10k Challenge. Since 2008 small charities and their supporters have travelled from across the UK to run, walk or even stilt walk the 10km or 4km route through the beautiful Peak District.

Join Team A&K and we’ll give you heaps of ideas on how you can raise money…we’ll even throw in a free A&K t-shirt! Whether you come for the day or stay the weekend, it’s a great summer event and an enjoyable way to fundraise for a great cause.

Registration is completely free! Simply sign up here http://challengerunners.eventbrite.co.uk/

For more info about the challenge visit http://www.smallcharitychallenge.org/#all

For more information about Alive & Kicking, simply visit our website.

17/06/2013 at 08:44

Well, I did it!! If anyone like a good old race report, I've done one here

Bornagainrunner - have a brilliant time in Spain, enjoy the break

17/06/2013 at 10:02

thanks for sharing that Tiny, loved reading your report, fantastic achievement. Hope you are having a deserved rest and cake (or should I say pork pie?!) today . I have just been out for 4.2 miles with a friend and seemed to go faster with my beeping garmin to motivate me but then forgot to press reset before enthusiastically plugging into the computer so seem to have lost the data! Will take me a while to get the hang of my new toy!

17/06/2013 at 20:20

Well done Tiny, great achievement.

I'm just back from the Cross Bay Challenge, a wet half across Morecambe bay with 400 other like minded souls. It was great, I had a good run pleased with pace and finished feeling strong, time 1.50. Had a great weekend yes in Morecambe, the sun shone, running was good and the scenery of the Lakes breathtaking. Thanks to the organisers and volunteers a well organised event, without you all there is no race.

18/06/2013 at 16:43

well done Skd

Successfully uploaded my garmin data from my 9.5 mile run, yeh! It was hot and I went out too fast but ran all the way. I wondered if there was a way of setting the garmin to keep you at the right pace? Thanks, Lily

18/06/2013 at 21:28

Well that is another 7 miles done, warm night aswell.

Glad to see the Garmin is working well Lily. You can arrange for it to beep whilst you are out, if you are running to fast or to slow. You have to set a fastest and slowest speed and then it will make a sound if your speed is outside of those parameters. It is ok for a while but gets a bit annoying when it beeps most of the time. 

Hope everybody's training is going well.

18/06/2013 at 21:30

Forgot to mention that the Morecambe Bay race sounds brilliant skd 14, good time as well.

19/06/2013 at 17:18

Everyone seems to be training well..

going out for an hour at Roundhay while my daughter is rowing tonight.

long run 11 miles planned for Sunday...then 16 week programme starts next week....

im new to garmins too.........takes them a while to find a  satellite !!!!!!!!!

20/06/2013 at 08:05

thanks Gazza for the garmin tips, I agree Ap66 takes a long time to find satellites, don't want to be waiting at the start of a race for that to happen!

Training is tough in the heat. Due to do my first VO2 max session from my taining plan today......should be interesting and a challenge!

Happy running everyone

20/06/2013 at 08:30

Well done on the Cross Bay challenge skd14, that's a really good time.

Good luck with the VO2 max session lily - the heat definitely makes it harder!

Went to my first yoga class last night.  Really enjoyed it and hopefully it will aid my running.

20/06/2013 at 11:52

Thanks Tiny VO2 max went ok to start with but I am supposed to be doing 5x3mins fast with 3 mins recovery between and I struggled to maintain the speed! Still early days yet. I have recently taken yoga back up again with my daughter who is doing it as part of her d of e programme and I think it complements running really well with the stretching etc I am just careful not to overstrain near a race day!

21/06/2013 at 06:47

Hi All,

Thanks Gazza, Lily keep at it, it does make a difference still a long time to go to build up for the big one.

Training ticking over a 30 mile week over 4 runs including parkrun, yesterday bike 14 miles, today rest.

Local club 10k on Tuesday

Proper marathon training from July, I will most likely run 4 days a week, plus a bike day to not overdo it, injury wise, with 2 days rest. I'll follow a similar intermediate plan to Manchester.

23/06/2013 at 08:42

Thanks Tiny

Training turned out to be 26.5 miles for the week, pleased with a parkrun pb by 6 secs.

Rest Monday, 10k race Tuesday.

How's everyone else's training/weekend going?

23/06/2013 at 08:45

Just having coffee and a bacon butty. Was going to have porridge and banana but proper traing hasn't started yet !!!!!!

ran a slow 7 on Wednesday, not run since. 11 miler later this morning.

hope everyone else is training better than me !!

24/06/2013 at 06:24

good training everyone hope 11 miler went well Ap66. I am following 18 week plan this time really to allow for much less running when on holiday in August. I have a personalised plan to help me improve on 5hrs + and getting slower! The runs seem varied but quite long so this week with work and other commitments I will struggle to fit them in. So I ran my planned run for today last night! 8.2 miles with hill sprints. I chose a big hill for that but as it was one hill I had no real recovery between them. I just thought it would be better than up and down the same hill!

Getting the hang of the garmin but it does take quite a few attempts for the pc to recognise it each time. Anyone else have this problem?

24/06/2013 at 06:44

AP I was inspired by your commitment and had a McD breakfast yesterday.

Lily 18 weeks will fly by, everyone needs to juggle a little with their plan/life I read on one of these forums you should aim do at least 85% of your training runs or not do the marathon.  I assume that means you wouldn't be able to reach your target if under trained.

Getting a little practice on the October weather round here.

24/06/2013 at 07:33

Managed 10.2 in 1 hr 30. Had to have a sleep in the afternoon. Going to have to have a week off after 26 miles....

followed the bacon butty with a chicken Karachi, peshwari nan, wine etc !!!

lily.....it seems everyone has the same problem with garmins... Think I have found the trick. Connect it and wait until,you can see the garmin reconized in your finder before trying to upload.

hope everyone has a good weeks training

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.