Yorkshire marathon 2013

321 to 340 of 1,075 messages
18/07/2013 at 18:00
your a welcome, wouldn't say anymore crowd support as now on a really busy main road rather than rural but does pass a popular village entrance! (dunnington) so maybe a few more people there.    its a hard route, tougher than London & Berlin, be prepared and we will all be fine. Link below shows route & elevations, hope it helps & happy running.  http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/226837063
20/07/2013 at 07:08

A very hot 10k race on Thursday, the effect of the heat was 2.5 mins over PB time, wouldn't have liked to race any further, though. There were some tree lined parts in the shade but even after 7.30 it was sweltering. Laxton was a small rural race, flat organised by the village folk, 141 finishers, a good event, thanks to the organisers and volunteers, recommended, would do it again

parkrun today and practice walk (14 miles) for John Tomlinson Dales Walking Festival 28 miles on 18th August with my youngest son. It wasn't planned but son is keen and not prone to taking up exercise.

Not sure of run distance tomorrow

Wishing you all a good weekend of running and racing

20/07/2013 at 07:09

Sorry typo not John but Jane Tomlinson, apologies for that.

20/07/2013 at 13:44

Well done in the race skd.  It's so hard to race when it's hot.  Hope you enjoyed your walk with your son.

Managed to complete a session that I have been dreading for ages this morning - 16 miles with 10 miles at marathon pace.  It was a struggle, but I did it.  Legs really feeling it now though so will keep stretching and perhaps get the trusty foam roller out later.

Hope everyone's training is going well 

20/07/2013 at 14:06

26 miles done yesterday in the Lake District , legs 1 and 5 of the BG

boiling hot but the views on the tops were the best I've ever seen 

rest day for me today

20/07/2013 at 18:37

Thanks Tiny good session today, it will be worth it.

Jonah well done, that makes me feel like a part timer. I googled the BG never heard of it before, awesome achievement to anyone who can do it. It amazes me that there's always a next level of challenge to go to or just madness for those who get this running bug.

parkrun sub 22, walk with junior went well 14 miles walk easily under 4 hours, it's overcast here so not too hot, a pint to finish. A good day now out to a wedding do, so tomorrow may be a rest day

20/07/2013 at 19:13

Evening Folks

Thanks for the MapmyRun of the revised course Skiprat, very useful.

The course doesn't seem to be too hilly to me, but then I live in Wrose so which ever way I set off running, i'll have hills to run up at some point.

Not so keen on courses that double back on the same roads, always seems that when they do that they are trying to 'squeeze' the miles in for some reason. The 2nd turn point is at 18 miles aswell, just as some runners will be starting to struggle so I don't feel they've help us there. Having said that i'm sure we've all run on worse courses than this, so we'll just cope an get on with it.

14-15 miles planned for tomorrow, what's everyone else doing?

Have a good one.

Gazza

20/07/2013 at 19:42

Sounds like everyone is having a productive weekend - some impressive tales! Just got back from my hols, I'm relieved that the heat has dropped for the weekend. I'm going to make the most of it and do a long run tomorrow, hopefully 15 miles. Will be an out and back, so a bit boring, but will just be good to start getting these longer runs under my belt. This is when I remember why I said 'Never again' - the long runs are tough on your own. May head across to the Yorkshire Wolds for the next long one, beautiful there. 

Have a great weekend folks.

21/07/2013 at 22:18

SKD. I completed it in 2009, it's customery then to support the people who supported you, it's a fantastic route.

Not been able to walk never mind run since Friday, my legs aren't use to running down steep hills , maybe a little recovery run tomorrow.

22/07/2013 at 09:48

well done everyone in keeping going in the heat. I wonder if I am adapting to it slightly now! I have just been out for hilly 7.5 miles in the light rain and no sun, quite humid but otherwise comfortable

Been avidly following the Tour de France, then yesterday listened to Marathon Talk and there was a lady being interviewed who is running the route! In awe!

Edited: 22/07/2013 at 09:51
22/07/2013 at 11:54

Lily.....just back from the Alps and saw Stage 19 at Le Grand Bornand , how  she has run up those 'mountains' I will never know. My legs are hurting after a slow flattish 14 miler yesterday....

22/07/2013 at 19:43

Jonah, brilliant on your efforts and supporting others, did they do it? It makes marathon training seem tame in comparison. Ever thought of running the Tour de France, no! well I've never had such thoughts.

I thought I was ticking along nicely, 30 miles running, 20 miles walking last week, 6 miles tomorrow, starting to build up the LSR's up to 14m steady, start of week 4.

24/07/2013 at 07:57

Ap66 how amazing to see the Tour, really hope to get a glimpse next year when it comes to Yorkshire. 14 miles sounds good at this stage in training. Skd I see you are at 14 miles too 

Thought I had adapted to the heat but ran at 3.30pm yesterday just as the sun came out. 9.5 miles with some hills, so hot, humid and tough, had to dig very deep to get round. Also did my recent usual of starting out too fast. Need to work on that one. Don't feel great today....usually have rule of no alcohol after long run but went out for wedding anniversary and had to have a few glasses of wine. Lots of water so could be worse!

How is everyone else doing?

24/07/2013 at 13:37

Sounds like folks are starting to build the distance up now. I managed 16  miles on Sunday, was a bit cooler relatively speaking, but still very warm. Carried plenty of water and gels, took it slow and just about survived. Now I've recovered from it, I can look back and feel pleased to have notched up a bit more distance. Did a bit of speed work yesterday - in the rain, then a slow 6 miles today, but it was so hot and humid, really tiring, saps every ounce of energy. I really admire the top athletes who race in this heat - at twice the speed I go at! I'm sure when temperatures get back to normal we are going to fly round! No really long runs for me now for a few weeks - three races in eight days to get through! 

25/07/2013 at 08:59

Cant wait for this now just want cooler to train the longer distances

25/07/2013 at 17:48

18 hilly miles done and my furthest distance completed.  It was slow and it was very ugly.  Managed to arrive back home after 17 miles and I had a real mental battle to go and do another mile loop.  Glad I did it though.  Currently searching through the house for every bit of food I can shove in my mouth!

25/07/2013 at 18:42

Well done Tiny. It's so hard to stay mentally focused, but I try and remind myself how good it feels when I work out just how far I've run. Hilly miles have got to be worth more too! Just think how many calories you've burnt off and need to replace! Guilt free eating! 

25/07/2013 at 22:22

what are your races Bornagain? Congrats to you and Tiny on your really long runs especially in this heat How is your training Muggle?

Hilly miles will help when faced with hills in races. Hope you found enough food Tiny!

I have "rested" for 2 days from running but have been decorating my daughter's bedroom and on my feet at work, but plan to run early tomorrow and then a longish one on Sunday.....happy days!

26/07/2013 at 10:05

Just been out this morning for a few miles after 5 days rest, break in my new Adios 2 shoes 

26/07/2013 at 12:13

Looks like you are all upping your mileage now

Last hilly 20 miles for me in the morning then back on the fast flat ones.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.