Yorkshire marathon 2013

341 to 360 of 1,075 messages
26/07/2013 at 20:39

Hi lily. I'm racing at Crossgates and Knavesmire - vets Grand Prix series, and a last minute team entry for the Jane tomlinson 10k at York. Why do races seem to bunch together like this? Did a very slow 9 miles in the Wolds today - just too hot. I'd reversed the route too, which was a huge mistake - the short sharp ups became steep downs, and the nice long recovery downs became arduous long ups that went on forever. Must admit to having several rest breaks in the shade! Still think the Wolds are like the Bermuda Triangle - I'm sure, in fact I know that long road was uphill last time I ran it, so how come it was uphill again today when I ran it in the opposite direction? But hey - look at the good this training is doing us!

My husband has loads of excuses for not decorating - not enough daylight; sun is too bright; thunder bugs will stick to the wet paint ...

27/07/2013 at 14:06

19 miles done and dusted with the last 3 faster than marathon pace it's tough but you reap the rewards on the big day.

27/07/2013 at 14:24

Jonah I can only dream of doing the final few miles of a long run faster than MP. It's all I can do to just finish! 

27/07/2013 at 22:01

No races for a couple of weeks, it will be 26 miles running, 14 miles cycling for the week, 20 mile walk and parkrun pb today, tired but pleased.

Well done guys on the training.

28/07/2013 at 04:58

16 mile run planned for today, York to Stamford Bridge and back which is part of the course, thankfully a bit cooler than recent weeks but also a bit wetter

28/07/2013 at 08:33
Skiprat wrote (see)
its a hard route, tougher than London & Berlin, be prepared and we will all be fine. Link below shows route & elevations, hope it helps & happy running.  http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/226837063

Looking at the overall gain at York of 75m then it is not as hard as London which has 132M (best evidence I can find). London is supposed to be pretty flat and  I doubt York will be harder in terms of hills.

Motivationally it will be much harder with long sections that have no support, hopefully they wil be broken up by drinks stations.

28/07/2013 at 09:06

Bornagain know what you mean about reversing routes, good for you managing it though good luck with your races. I love the Jane T York 10k, the route and the collapsing with an ice cream on the grass afterwards but this year will be in France, enjoy! How does the team entry comp work?

My daughter's room looks great but maybe need to check for thunder bugs! Still lots of clearing up to do though!

Jonah, you are amazing, I am in awe!

Skd, sounds like really good mixed training. We go to France for 2 weeks on Sat so hope to add cycling and swimming to my little bit of runnning.

Yorkie, will be interesting to know what a section of the marathon is like.

Thanks for the info Johnny.

Off on a 13 mile run when I have charged my garmin (not quite got the hang of it yet!).

Just finished reading Paula Radcliffe's autobiography, not sure if has encouraged me or not!

28/07/2013 at 13:19

Enjoy France lily, hope the weather is good to you. Not sure exactly how the team thing works with the Jane Tomlinson, but think we all run our own race, then there's team prizes for fastest, those that raise most sponsorship etc. I think it's just a way of getting local businesses to take part and raise more money for good causes. I'm not going to race seriously - the two vets races either side are more important. Will just go  and enjoy the atmosphere. I hate asking for sponsorship, but if anyone wants to sponsor us, the link is http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/team/TeamNYP. We're raising money for a local hospice and cancer charities. 

Just been looking at my training schedule and diary, trying to work out when to get the really long runs in. When you break it down into weekends, it don't seem far away! I am looking forward to it though.  Must go and drive the route.  Thanks for the comments about the height gain johnny - doesn't sound too bad ...

28/07/2013 at 17:59

First 18 miler today which went well up until 12.5 when I felt a pain in my hamstring and had to walk the last 5.5m  home. 3:30 is a long time without any water - I was anticiapting about 2:45 time on my feet.

York 10K next weekend looks in doubt now but I don't think a few rest days will harm anyway as I was starting to feel a bit fed up with the continual training and battle to fit everything in.

30/07/2013 at 08:24

hope you are feeling better Johnny, less than 12 weeks to go now Bornagain! I doubt I will enter an Autumn mara again, finding it so much harder than winter training, life is busy and of course the weather is hotter. A good but tough 13 miles on Sunday and just struggled to do 6 this morning, stiff back, legs like lead, maybe it is time for a little rest from running, in France I will swim lots and cycle, will take my run stuff and see how I feel.

How is everyone else getting on ?

30/07/2013 at 12:24

I think I would agree re the training required through summer for an autumn race. I play a lot of golf and dont really like running in the heat so it is all a bit difficult and I feel I have been really having to fit everything in for the last 3 months or so.

30/07/2013 at 18:41

Resting in garden with bottle of red...

sore Achilles. Physio says no running until swelling goes down..

30/07/2013 at 22:17

Johnny, Ap66 - sorry to hear you have some injury niggles, but I do believe red wine has excellent healing properties. Do you rub it on the affected areas? 

Hope you are both up and running again soon. 

31/07/2013 at 06:40

Sorry to hear of injuries but rest is good, it's about getting to the start line in fine fettle.

Keep training have faith in your plan, as Jonah says it will make a big difference on the day. No one can stick 100% to any plan as life does get in the way but I read you should complete at least 85% of the plan for the race day.

Crikey the weeks are flashing by, need to focus, it's getting down to the serious LSR time.

Planning 32 running miles for the week , LSR 15 miles Sunday.

31/07/2013 at 08:15

This is the first week of my 12 week "advanced Marathon" plan, I always like to hammer the hills before I start it because it gives you a strong base.

12 miles steady last night, 1.23 so not a bad start.

Sorry to hear about the niggles but unfortunately it's part and parcel of what we do.

Like SKD says at this stage rest is good.

31/07/2013 at 10:23

hope you recover soon Ap66, red wine always good for injuries Thanks for encouragement Jonah and Skd. I am resting today from running. Feels strange but the right thing to do as back still not great and legs tired. Will take my run gear with me on hol, do a bit but pick up my plan properly on return.....

31/07/2013 at 22:02

If red wine is good for injuries. I should be healed by now.....

frustrating at the moment but I know I need to rest..... Hope everyone else is staying injury free

01/08/2013 at 09:28

Feeling a little bit smug today as I got my first ever 20 miler under my belt yesterday .  It was very slow (and also very hilly!) but it got done.  Legs feeling surprisingly fresh today but still going to stick with the rest day.  More experienced runners have told me that runs of that length will get easier as I do a few more.  I hope so, as I really don't think I could have done another 6.2 on top!

Ap66 - fingers crossed for you.  Lots of RICE.  Are you able to swim to keep some of your cardio fitness up?  I know it's not the same as running but might help to take some of the frustration away?

Hope you have a great holiday Lily

Great start to your plan Jonah!

SKd14 - that's a great attitude, couldn't agree more.  The biggest battle is getting to the start line injury free.  It's plain sailing from there......apparently.

01/08/2013 at 10:00

Tiny it's always good to get your first 20 miler out of the way, well done.

I'm doing the Dovedale Dipper on Sunday it's a 26 mile trail race, not racing it, using it as a training run.

There's quite a few of us doing it from our club so should be fun.

01/08/2013 at 13:02

Hello how are we all?

Haven't been around for ages, holiday in Devon which was super hot but gave me some lovely hilly cliff top runs. Then I did the National Lottery Olympic Stadium run which was fun, 47 minutes for 5 miles which is not bad for me.

Just back from the Thunder Run this weekend which I did as part of a team, managed three x 10k laps - what a brilliant experience! Best race ever. First lap was in the boiling Sun, second at 10pm in lashing rain and thunder and lightning, third at dawn in knee deep squelchy mud. 

So my training has been haphazard, but I guess at least I've done 30k in 24 hours in less than ideal conditions. I need to get back into into those long slow runs, but with three boys on school holidays I'm struggling to find time.

Hope you're all well and training better than me!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.