Yorkshire Wolds Half-Marathon

1 to 20 of 37 messages
17/05/2008 at 09:49

Has anybody actually entered this yet? Anyone else put off by the apparent lack of interest/information? The 2005 website doesn't exactly inspire confidence. I really fancy it, but I think I'll hold off for a while.

2007 entry 270, 2008 limit 800. Is this wishful thinking, or was last years entry reduced by the weather?

17/05/2008 at 11:55

I picked up a form for this when running the Redcar Half back in April. I am tempted - I like hilly courses - and it's also quite local. The entry form looks well put together if that makes any difference? I'm going to wait until beginning of July and see what else crops up.

All being well though, I'll probably do it.

17/05/2008 at 12:47

I ran this last year as my 1st half. A tough course and the number of entrants was reduced by all the rain we had.

It's a great race tho. 3 miles flat. 3 miles climb, off road downhill then a good climb before a very sharp last mile downhill.

17/05/2008 at 12:56

The form on their website looks quite professional, except that it's for 23rd July 2005!

Still, I'll probably see you there.

17/05/2008 at 13:14

Dave - That course sounds even more appealing in detail! Ok, anything that involves climbs and the word 'off-road' gets me excited but still....What was the quality of the field like (in its diminished state)? Wil you be running it again?

Deearejay - try emailing them, they may have forgotten about the website (easy to do)

17/05/2008 at 18:32

emailed the race director (andrewfarnworth@mac.com) mid-April - no response!

I'm pretty sure I did this race twenty-odd years ago, it may even have been the inaugural event. I know I did a few half-marathons in the area around then, when I lived in York.

17/05/2008 at 18:47

The winner came in around 1:17 last year. I came 14th in 1:27:09, which was about 4 weeks after injury.

I'm not running this year. I got the form through the post, but I'm working that weekend!

20/05/2008 at 01:15

I may do this. I was considering the Birmingham & Blackcountry 1/2 M but as I'm training for my first ever marathon (Snowdonia 08) I need hills. B&B is all along a  canal tow path and is dead flat (plus concerns about crowding 1,000 runners down a tow path already crowded with fishermen, and geese).

There are hills on this one isn''t there? Is the organisation ok?

This'll only be my 2nd 1/2m

20/05/2008 at 10:43
Organisations great. There are up and downhills. The last mile is pure speed all the way down to a flat last 0.1 finish
20/05/2008 at 23:17

More and more tempted. I was quite surprised how far east the race was. I guess i could make it over from the NWest and back in the day, couldn't I?

Does anyone know if York is open on a Sunday (some places have still not made it into the 21st century yet!)? If it is I could perhaps leave my better half shopping, while I shoot of and do the race?

What do other runners do with their better halves when they are running? Or are they all well trained in acting as the race day taxi?

Check out my running blog at My First Flora London Marathon

21/05/2008 at 00:00
i ran this 'half' 6 consecutive years, starting in '88, i think, so highly did i rate it, and picked up a set of individual pottery mugs in different colours, all emblazoned with a design showing the year as mementos

if you want hills, u got 'em in Spades. it used to start in the Bishop Wilton Showground with a killer climb of 3 miles + (around 1 in 6 or 7) the off rd section was through cornfields and sharply down at the end, when you came along a flat road section through beautiful pasture. as above, the last mile hammers your quads and you can see the showground for ages.

things to do? well, you can rely on York but it's miles away. Pocklington itself is rural & sleepy, so why not ask your OH to enjoy a traditional country show? animal classes, produce, stalls and stunning scenery.

if i was fit, i might give it another go but i'd be 8-10 minutes slower than a flattish HM on this course, even at my best.
21/05/2008 at 00:47

Thanks for that SW. I wonder whether they still give away mugs? It'll make a change to the usual medals.

The tip about Pocklington is very useful. My OH and I are possibly moving in the near future and we are looking to perhaps move into a village, and get our own vegetable patch and chickens going, and support local farms by buying from them rather than the chain supermarkets - so the fair may interest her.

Who knows - maybe by that time she'd have actually started running with me and may join me in the race?

Check out my running blog at My First Flora London Marathon

21/05/2008 at 10:43

Hee, this one sounds like so much fun, the more I hear of it!  Where fun = pain, obviously...

LYDLT - Pocklington is lovely, in fact north/east of York pretty much everything is lovely and idyllic. Good pubs too, for a post-race treat

Swittle - I'm intending on being 8-10mins slower on this course unless I decide to take it 'uber-seriously'...I like to enjoy the views. You should go for it, you can run around muttering about how it's changed from the 'old day's

Really hope you still get mugs!

21/05/2008 at 18:07
lol, BunnyPhobia, we've never met and already you know me too well!

Views there are a-plenty - 'they' can't have changed them

an idea's forming...a trip to N. Yorkshire, a gentle toddle up & down some hills, tea & buns on the showground...and a very fine greasy spoon breakfast in pocklington on the way home

bliss!!
21/05/2008 at 21:23

Strange - the event website is hopelessly out of date, yet there's a 2008 app form at http://www.pockrunners.com/.

No online entry?

22/05/2008 at 07:55
Hand thrown pottery mugs to all Half Marathon finishers"

just read this on the applic. form linked ^^ above
22/05/2008 at 18:46

So long as they're not hand thrown AT all half marathon finishers...

There are plenty of obstacles on this course as it is!

22/05/2008 at 19:46
lol
22/05/2008 at 22:47
LiveYourDreamLifeToday wrote (see)

I may do this. I was considering the Birmingham & Blackcountry 1/2 M but as I'm training for my first ever marathon (Snowdonia 08) I need hills. B&B is all along a  canal tow path and is dead flat (plus concerns about crowding 1,000 runners down a tow path already crowded with fishermen, and geese).

There are hills on this one isn''t there? Is the organisation ok?

This'll only be my 2nd 1/2m

I'm signed up for the BBC ½. It's my most local ½ along with the B'ham ½ in October. From what I've read it sounds like they've got the crowding issue sussed, and I like the idea of racing through a ¼-mile tunnel! Flat's fine with me. I know I'm gonna find Yorks Wolds tough. My first full mara was Shakespeare a few weeks ago. You're a brave man starting with Snowdonia!
23/05/2008 at 14:39
RK - brave... not at all - as there is nothing to this Marathon business, after all it's just putting one foot in front the other, isn't it?
1 to 20 of 37 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.