Yorkshire Wolds Half-Marathon

1 to 20 of 80 messages
13/06/2009 at 09:39

OK then, I'll get the ball rolling.

Only 35 days to go! 

I'm really looking forward to doing this one again, I just hope the weather's better this year.

I got the impression last year that there weren't many runners from outside the area. Although I'm York born and bred I've lived in Brum for quite a while now, so will be combining this race with visiting my Mum in Osbaldwick. I'll be coming up for the Jane Tomlinson 10k too - that should be great.

Hope everyone's training is going well.

13/06/2009 at 09:40
Is this a quickie? Looking for a race that weekend - this might do the trick!
13/06/2009 at 09:48
Well, it has a fast finish... but no, it's very hilly! Great fun though and quite a small field. Unusual in that it's on a Saturday, as it forms part of the Bishop Wilton show (free entry for runners!). There's a cheeky little off-road section down a steep wooded valley which is interesting!
13/06/2009 at 10:01
Ah - good job I asked then! Not really what I was looking for.
13/06/2009 at 10:18
Fair enough, but if you don't find anything to better suit your purpose I'd recommend this.
13/06/2009 at 10:51

Sent my entry form et al. away last Monday.  In the late 80s and early 90s, I ran this for 5 consecutive years and collected the hand thrown pottery mugs given at the finish.  But...in year 6, the memento was a random T-shirt.  Sooo, last year, I determined to pick up that elusive 6th pot and found that the event had changed little: intimate, small field, impeccable organisation, uncompromising hills - up and down - and the only unfamiliar detail was the cheeky MT section mentoned by you, Road-Kill, which certainly tested my balance & stability

The trip from Liverpool is well & truly justified, admittedly to the county where I grew up, but the air, the scenery and the character will convince the doubters of the reasons God chose Yorkshire

13/06/2009 at 13:32
Hi swittle, my last trip up north took in York on the way to Liverpool for the Mersey Tunnel 10k which, apart from the heat, I really enjoyed. Might you have been there too?
13/06/2009 at 18:29
Hi, Road-Kill.  No, I was a bit further up the coast at Formby Point, running trails & beach - ye, it was a warm 'un   Use the Tunnel often but never on foot
15/06/2009 at 21:25
Hi just wondering if anyone who has done this previously can give me any advice as I've done 10 miles on several occasions now and would like a new challenge, is this run going to be too tough for me?
15/06/2009 at 21:31

Hi, Charlotte.  Yorkshire Wolds is a hilly HM by any reckoning, so it's a matter of conserving resources.  The hill between 3.5 and 6 miles is fairly uniform in steepness.  Then comes a flat section and a tricky off-road downhill 0.75 mile.  Some welcome flattage and then the joys of two short, sharp hills before a mad downhill career to the finish on the showground.

It's a superb run or I wouldn't have run it seven times and the satisfaction at bettering the course will stay with you, well,until next year.  Give it a go!

15/06/2009 at 21:44
Many thanks think I'll give it a try!
15/06/2009 at 21:58
Excellent!  I really hope you enjoy this one as much as I do.
15/06/2009 at 22:48

Yay, the more the merrier!

This falls, as it did last year, a fortnight after the Birmingham & Black Country Half, which is entirely along the Grand Union Canal and therefore, as you might expect, flat as the proverbial pancake. There couldn't be much greater contrast, unless you head off to the Lake District or similar. Nevertheless last year I finished this only 40 seconds slower than the BBCHM. I can't claim I understand how that happened, but I'm doing both again this year, so we'll see what happens this time!

18/06/2009 at 23:46
after losing six stone by casual 'jogging', I did my first half on Sunday (Humber Half) and the sense of achievement is addictive! i hadn't trained (naughty) and therefore only managed 2hrs 17min by my garmin. But I want to set myself achievable targets and continue now with regular training.
I'm doing the great north run for chaaridee this year and wondered if this would be recommended as a practice run (if I work my socks off between now and then?) first time on a forum thingy too, so I hope i've done this right.
Edited: 18/06/2009 at 23:50
18/06/2009 at 23:54

Welcome to RW Forum, Lisa - great pseudonym

This HM is hilly, make no mistake, but hills are a great way of building strength & stamina.  I'd advise doing some hill work before entering this one but build it up steadily by repetitions of a hill about 150-200 yards long and recover by jogging slowly down.  Start with three reps and add one next time.

When's GNR?  Sept.?  Oct.?  Yorkshire Wolds should fit in neatly imo.   Good luck! 

19/06/2009 at 00:09
thanks! ...yeah its in September, and i've told myself i'm going to enter 10k plus once a month, so it kinda fits in, but i need to be good at this! there is a park with a steep hill that I think would be perfect for practicing what you've advised, so I think i'll enter and get on with it! thanks again for your advice - i'm looking forward to building up to being a proper grown-up regular runner!
19/06/2009 at 00:18
Lisa - you already are
19/06/2009 at 00:54

i'll be seeing ya!
Edited: 19/06/2009 at 00:55
19/06/2009 at 08:38

Hi Lisa - good on you!

Now I certainly don't want to put you of, but as swittle says, just be aware that this one is very hilly - GNR is pancake-like by comparison. In fact GNR would make a better warm-up for this one!

As well as two long steep hills there's a couple of mad downhill sections, one down a steep wooded valley which can be loose and muddy underfoot.

That said, it's a lovely course, and it'll certainly get the muscles working! I'd say go ahead, but take it steady and treat it as a training run.

Good luck!

21/06/2009 at 20:03

Well I was looking for another half marathon after my disappointing performance at Freckleton today. Although this doesn't sound like a PB course Swittle and Roadkill have dones such a good job of selling it I now really want to do it.

I assume road shoes will be ok as its only off road for a short section??

1 to 20 of 80 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.