2XU compression calf thingys

Size problems

10 messages
23/08/2009 at 20:43

Has anyone got these, i have had problems with my tight calf on my longer runs and fancy trying these out,

However i can only find them online and was wondering whether people buy them a size smaller/bigger etc, i know i can always send them back, but trying to save a bit of hassle.

Cheers

23/08/2009 at 21:29
Don't know about those ones but I've got some knee high compression socks and I just bought normal size (being a size 12 I have to buy the biggest size available anyway).  They actually make my calves hurt *more* than usual at the start of a run but I'm sure they're beneficial overall.
24/08/2009 at 11:17

I'd like to hear from people that have used these if possible peeps?

Got a recuring lower calf tightness problem, and want to know if these would help.

Thanks in advance!

26/08/2009 at 13:55

Try X-Socks compression socks. Knee high in black and I think white.

They are great! I wear them on most of my training runs and have a spare pair that I wear after, this really does help with DOMS especially the next morning. My longer runs too, next morning hardly any stiffness, ready to train again!!!

Ebay is where I brought mine I think they were £12.99 inc postage.

I would think the 2XU calf guards and the 2XU compression socks do the same thing.

Get Some!

26/08/2009 at 15:44

I have a pair of the 2XU Elite compression tights that i bought three weeks ago. I am guseeing that the lower leg bit is the same as the calf socks.

I wear them just for recovery so far , ie for a couple of hours after a run, and have been really impressed.

I have been running every day since I got them, and as Al P notes, have suffered no DOMS, which I would have done previously.

As for sizing, does it not tell you on the 2XU website ? It certainly gives a hieght/weight chart for the tights. It told me that I needed small, and when I got them out of the packet, I thought that there was no way I'd get them on, but they were easy and very comfy, althpough I do have to explain my self to anybody who calls at the house when I am wearing them

26/08/2009 at 17:06

HA ME TOO! I get very strange looks!

Like why are you wearing tights?!!!!!

I just say its what David Becham wears

26/08/2009 at 19:35

I use 2xu calf guards for Half Ironman to Ironman+, and leggings for recovery (try sleeping in them).

The sizing chart is pretty good - check out the website.  If you're on a borderline then go for the lower size.  Better to have a tighter fit than a looser one (which wont do a lot).  I use Small for both.

28/08/2009 at 10:13

I wear compression socks - find that they are comfortable but the jury is out on whether they are effective.

What I have found a great help with dodgy calf muscles is `the stick`. There are some live threads on RW at the moment I think.

Don`t believe all the blurb http://www.thestick.com/

but it is a very useful tool for tight/knotted calf muscles (and not doubt other bits).

5 mins of `massage` before a run and the same after works wonders.

I`ve been plagued by calf/soleus/achilles tightness for years and this is the best thing I`ve found so far.

Have a look on Amazon - I think they may be cheaper.

Edited: 28/08/2009 at 10:14
31/08/2009 at 10:04

I have just started using compression socks as have tight calves (right one gets sore) since i changed my running style.

Before i wore them, right calkf would start to get sore after 5-10 mins running, have worn the socks now 4 times, and i start to feel it at about the 3-4 mile point.

I have noticed a big difference.

31/08/2009 at 15:07
Reidy 36 wrote (see

I have just started using compression socks as have tight calves (right one gets sore) since i changed my running style.

Before i wore them, right calkf would start to get sore after 5-10 mins running, have worn the socks now 4 times, and i start to feel it at about the 3-4 mile point.

I have noticed a big difference.

That`s interesting. Perhaps I should persevere.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
10 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.