Adidas Boost Trainers, anyone had a run in a pair yet?

101 to 120 of 239 messages
07/03/2013 at 15:46

MrMaj - Obviously what happens in the real world is that the more comfortable you feel, the more likely you are to progress on to running at faster paces for the same effort, rather than consciously keeping to the same pace for less effort.  I'll take Adidas' "energy return" claims with a pinch of salt, but if you feel more comfortable you're more likely to get out there and do it IMO.

DF3 - I don't personally believe in all the rule of thumb mileage limits people talk about (anything from 300 - 500 usually) but I am interested in durable shoes that retain a decent bit of cushioning.  I've recently retired a pair of Nikes that are coming up to 1,000 miles, just because the outsole is wearing through, but they are a little "flatter" in feel than a new pair.  If nothing else, these shoes will make good loft insulation when they're done.

07/03/2013 at 15:56

Well I will let you know but bear in mind that 80% of the miles will probably be on a treadmill, so therefore less wear and tear than you might normally put shoes through.

The funny thing about the shoes though is how understated and dare I say 'cheap' looking they are. Honestly if the Adidas badge wasnt on them, I would just assume they were some Romanian knock off shoe that I wouldnt look twice at.

Im still not sure why people are making such a big deal about the price point. Is everyone running around in Aldi shoes or something? OK at £110 they are not cheap, but then most decent shoes are around £80, and considering shoes are probably the most important bit of kit when it comes to running, an extra £20 or £30 doesnt seem that much of a stretch.

07/03/2013 at 21:42

So I did my 10 mile run tonight. God thats boring on a treadmill.

Shoes held up well. I ran at a rate of 8:20 m/m to put that in context of my ability anyway Im hoping to run in Reading at a rate of 7:59 m/m , so not race pace but close.

Felt comfortable throughout. Not much more to say, except it did remind me of something. My previous shoes were Adidas as well but size 10.5 ....... this time around I got the Boost in size 11 (because thats all they had), and thank god I did  ....... while they are still comfortable, I definitely wouldnt want them any smaller. Also I have quite narrow feet and Adidas seem to cater for this, but I could imagine if youve got wide feet, you might struggle with the Boost.

So, so far Ive done 3 runs in 4 days with these, and Ive done better on each of the days than Ive done before. Not by  a massive amount but enough, also I think, and it could be in my head, but somehow it just feels more comfortable and less jarring when I run.

So in short, Im kinda sold on them to be honest!

Oh and in case you think 'Yeah right, sure you ran 10 miles on a tready, no one can be that bored to stand on a dreadmill doing that ......', here is the last bit (of course it doesnt prove I didnt just leave it run for over an hour and then get on in the last 5 minutes but I think LA fitness would disapprove of me doing that).

Oh and everything is in KM and KPH such is the stupid treadmills they have there, hence I finished at 16km (its not 16 miles)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xj4ifmvm158tm5v/20130307_203543.mp4

XX1
07/03/2013 at 21:48
DF3 -- Those Romanian's are probably making more money on their knock off shit but when it comes to a quality product they're not a patch on those Chinese kiddies.
XX1
07/03/2013 at 21:53
Taxi Driver wrote (see)
DF3 -- Those Romanian's are probably making more money on their knock off shit but when it comes to a quality product they're not a patch on those Chinese kiddies.

Ahh but can you trust that the Chinese arent putting little cameras in there to spy on you??

XX1
07/03/2013 at 22:03
DF3 -- If they're putting little cameras in there then they'll be spying on the bird with the big arse that I stalk whilst I'm running
XX1
07/03/2013 at 22:04

I dont think Literatin would be happy about that description!

07/03/2013 at 22:09

Actually I don't care because I have an exceptionally small arse.

09/03/2013 at 22:19

Google this - The once and future way to run

cougie    pirate
09/03/2013 at 22:31
??110 is quite pricey. I did my long run today in some cheap Adidas trail shoes. Around ??30 or so. Would the Bouncy ones be 4 times as good I wonder ?
09/03/2013 at 22:53

cushioned/structured running shoes are a fad

09/03/2013 at 22:54
Edited: 09/03/2013 at 22:55
09/03/2013 at 22:55
cougie wrote (see)
??110 is quite pricey. I did my long run today in some cheap Adidas trail shoes. Around ??30 or so. Would the Bouncy ones be 4 times as good I wonder ?

Good Point!

10/03/2013 at 00:17

im sure shoes have always had cushioning since ive been wearing them which is over 30 years. Define for me please runz your definition for length of time for a fad

10/03/2013 at 08:06

cushioning is not the same as a "cushioned" running shoe that are designed to adjust/correct pronantion/supination etc.

10/03/2013 at 08:07

So when did the first 'cushioned' shoe come out?

10/03/2013 at 08:13

Not sure, but what i think Runz is getting at is that we shouldnt be running with anything more than a protective layer on our feet, "running shoes" go against the way we are designed/evolved to run, Based on the time line of our species running, running shoes are very much a "fad" 

10/03/2013 at 08:32

But the problem there Marc is that nature has not always got things right.

Why do we bother brushing our teeth every day? Why not just leave it as nature intended? We are using a tool because natures own cleaning method (ie the saliva in our mouth) is not good enough.

Are not shoes that provide comfort and lower the impact of landing not just the same thing?

There are a million and one aspects of everyday life where science has improved upon what nature originally gave us.

How do we know its not just trendy and faddy to throw away the cushioned shoe because its seen as cooler to get back to basics?

10/03/2013 at 14:15

Google the following DF3 - The once and future way to run.

Tooth brush example is flawed.

A healthy diet combined with grooming ie tooth picks(any piece of wood) to remove food from teeth and working with saliva is appropriate. Indian's are known for excellent dental health and this is how they have approached daily dental hygiene for generations.

The shift to a snacking culture in the UK has led to a decline in dental health according to the British Dental Health Foundation.

Traditionally, Britons enjoyed three square meals a day and rarely ate any snacks in between It meant that our teeth were only subject to 'attacks' from the sugar contained in foods three times a day,,people are snacking up to 10 x a day! Better start brushing your teeth 10 x a day then! probably wear them out before they rot 

Mark S pretty much nailed it with his comment.

Cushioned shoes have been around for approx 40 years the human foot has been evolving for millions of years so next to that cushioned shoes look kinda faddy.

All a uncompromised foot needs from a shoe is weather protection/puncture protection and room for the foot to splay.

A healthy achilles and planter fascia combine on every stride to absorb 52% of the force you hit the ground with (2 x BW) before it gets to your knee if you are running skillfully - Google Lee Saxby Videos to see correct form.

Science is nature,nature is science.

10/03/2013 at 14:16

Oh yeah! somewhere in between all that waffle try and enjoy your running

101 to 120 of 239 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.