Adidas Boost Trainers, anyone had a run in a pair yet?

121 to 140 of 216 messages
13/03/2013 at 21:28
The following was swiped from Runners World USA

In the late 1980s the New York Times heard that several running shoe companies were flirting with a new idea called ???energy return,??? so the paper dispatched a reporter to investigate. In his article, ???Fitness, Can Athletic Shoes Provide Energy???? William Stockton concluded that energy return in shoes was ???extraordinarily complex and still poorly understood.??? His advice: ???Anyone about to buy a pair of athletic shoes would do well to ignore the energy return claims.???

A quarter century later, that???s still good guidance, even in the face of Adidas???s big launch last week of its Energy Boost running shoes.

Let me say immediately that the Energy Boost shoes appear to be outstanding, and I look forward to trying a pair. I???m impressed with the Runner???s World ???Best Debut??? shoe award in the 2013 Spring Shoe Guide, particularly the glowing reports from wear-testers--runners like you and me.

I???m even more impressed by the results of tests conducted by biomechanist Martyn Shorten, PhD, director of the Runner???s World Shoe Lab. Martyn has worked in the shoe industry almost as long as I???ve been running, and he???s a hard arse when it comes to running-shoe claims, which is exactly why Runner???s World chose him to head the Shoe Lab. Yet after poking, prodding, stomping upon, dissecting and inspecting (under a microscope) the new ???boost??? midsole, Martyn confirmed what Adidas is claiming: the shoe has ???industry leading??? energy return (more on this soon), thin and lightweight but effective cushioning, tremendous resistance to heat and cold, and more durability (perhaps twice as much) as conventional EVA midsoles. The boost midsole is a TPU foam that some describe as styrofoam-like, but both compressible and springy.

So let me say it again: The Adidas Energy Boost looks like a heck of a good running shoe. But not because of its energy return.

The Adidas press conference and subsequent promotions made extensive use of this ???ball drop??? video. I don???t know what you see when you watch this video, but I see the boost foam producing twice as much of something (energy return?) as the EVA foam, at least to judge from the ball???s bounce height and repeated bouncing.

Here are the problems. First, this video depicts a ???static??? test in which the ball drops straight down and bounces straight up. There???s no forward movement. Whereas in running we try to move forward in a ???dynamic??? manner from point A to point B. Second, that???s a very small, dense ball (steel?) that we see in the video. It has little elastic recoil. Whereas the running body uses tendons, muscles, and other support structures to deliver a fair amount of elastic recoil. If Adidas had used a tennis ball instead of a steel ball in the video, the results would have been reversed.

I asked Adidas to explain the use of the ball-drop test, and got this email response from Mikal Peveto, director of running for Adidas America (and an old friend, as it turns out).???It was never meant to be a scientific representation of the exact running gait cycle,??? Peveto wrote. ???It???s marketing but it???s also accurate.??? He added that ???the testing standards of ASTM F1614 are similar to our ball-drop video.??? (ASTM used to be called the American Society for Testing and Materials, and that???s still essentially what it is.)

True. And Martyn Shorten also used a drop test to confirm that the Adidas shoe produced more energy return than any of the 800 other running shoes in his database. But this is a machine and materials test, not a test of runners who are running. No one really knows what energy return means to runners, if it means anything at all.

ASTM???s own descriptive notes say: ???Shock attenuating values dete
13/03/2013 at 21:32

Keep up!  I posted the link back on page 2. 

PhilPub wrote (see)

Some interesting articles which somebody recently posted in another thread:

My Problem with the Adidas Boost Marketing Approach

A Brief History Of Energy Return In Running Shoes

13/03/2013 at 21:40

OOH get her!

cougie    pirate
13/03/2013 at 22:04
Do they come in yellow ? Cos if they don't match my kit - im out.
13/03/2013 at 22:40
Hey the chuckle brothers are back!
14/03/2013 at 00:23

Why do you run?

Is it to lose weight, maintain weight, for general health, keeping generally fit... ?

Then don't buy these shoes - they make everything easier - you'll have to run more to get the same effect.

If you're training to race...

You'll just have to run your efforts faster to get the same training effect.

If they do what it says on the tin, the only thing the shoes would be good for would be racing - and a VERY good thing at that! - especially in a marathon.

I believe the top Adidas athletes at London this year will be wearing a new Adios Boost shoe - might well see a new course or world best time...

But (see the above) doesn't mean it's the best thing for the average Joe - making running easier...

Then I was thinking...

Everyone wonders why 30 years ago we had loads of good distance runners running sub 2:20 marathons etc.

... and today's athletes are doing the same mileages and hard training, yet much fewer numbers are performing as well...

Maybe it's the new modern, wonderfly light and energy returning shoes that make the same training kind of training easier that are a contributary factor?

Edited: 14/03/2013 at 00:24
cougie    pirate
14/03/2013 at 00:40
Isn't it just that less people are running big distances ?
Times have changed. Working hours are more. People have less free time ?
In Ron Hills day they'd run to work and at lunch and then back again. Which is hard to do if your workplace is 50 miles away.

I don't think bouncy trainers are to blame.
14/03/2013 at 00:43

More escalators probably,

14/03/2013 at 09:40

WS - Pretty sure I pointed out the screamingly obvious flaw in the "makes the training easier" argument too.  As you get fitter, the training doesn't get any easier; you train as hard as you want to train, so you just get quicker.  So you train quicker, and your legs get used to running more quickly.

The decline in distance running over the last 30 years has got nothing to do with tranier midsole material.  30 years ago, kids were running round streets and playing fields like double-hard bastards; today they're smoking weed and social networking.

14/03/2013 at 13:54

I have a pair of these and they are excellent.  I have had a lot less pain in my knees since wearing them.

I previously went to Runners Needs and they put me on a treadmill and advised that I was a neutral runner and sold me a pair of Zoot trainers. I had never heard of them....anyway as per their advice, I got a size bigger and have fallen over A LOT....now whether that is the down to the shoes or tired legs or both, I don't know but that is part of the reason I changed shoes over the last few weeks.

I am training for the Marathon and was worried that new trainers at this stage would be a bad idea but I think they are great.  So bouncy compared to my old ones.  I ordered half a size up and they are quite snug but unless you aren't wearing with socks they don't rub!

Technology aside, they are most definitely worth a try, like I said, I suffer with my knees and I ran a half marathon a few weeks back in my old trainers and had a horrible spasm in my left knee for most of the day...I have not had anything similar since and last weekend I ran 17 miles in the energy boost.  My legs ached the next day but were so much better that they were in the Zoots!

Hope this helps!

14/03/2013 at 17:40
mark wadsworth 2 wrote (see)

I have some new size 9 for sale unworn, too tight for me so getting 9.5 if i can locate a pair.

If you're still looking, it's not a shop I would normally recommend for running shoes Mark but JD sports (JD sports) have them in 9.5 online. Free delivery, and free returns in store if their still not a good fit. 

Edited: 14/03/2013 at 17:41
14/03/2013 at 18:27

Cheers have gone for them.

14/03/2013 at 20:14

Back in 20 years when you guys have caught up!

25/03/2013 at 11:58

Mark drop me a PM - might well be up for buying these from you.

Thanks - Jase

25/03/2013 at 12:00

Sorry there sold. Ive tried these 3 times now and defo fast, took 3 minute soff my best 2013 tenk time last week first time i wore them, hungover and not prepared as it was last minute run.

27/03/2013 at 12:02

Good stuff  Mark - looks like hey are selling out fast!  Jase

27/03/2013 at 19:46

Brand new, out of the box, I put 15 miles on a pair today. 

I was going steady having done a 13 followed by a 10 on consecutive days, yet still managed 15 in 1:50. I'm not saying this was all due to bounce, but they felt good. I am a forefoot runner and still felt a difference in the material. Having run in Free's all winter they felt very squidgy... in a good way.

I'm going to have to get used to the lacing... I could only achieve too tight or too loose. 

Funny sizing though. I'm a UK 9 in Asics/Brooks and a UK 9.5 in Nikes. I'm a UK 10 in these for length and width. The fit of the upper is amazing!

I am new to Adidas... After 1 run I am almost converted!

29/03/2013 at 18:45

Interesting stuff manic-me - I'm also a forefoot runner (Nike Free's) and due to having had 2 weeks off running after bruising the ball of my foot in my last half, I decided to order a pair to test out the increased forefoot cushioning.  They arrive Tuesday and I should give them a 10K test or so if they fit well.

31/03/2013 at 11:47

Whether these shoes add bounce or not. ADDING BOUNCE DOES NOT MAKE YOU MOVE FORWARD ANY FASTER!

Edited: 31/03/2013 at 11:47
cougie    pirate
31/03/2013 at 14:51
Kangaroos move pretty fast ?
121 to 140 of 216 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.