Annoying shoe laces

Any top tips?

13 messages
06/02/2012 at 21:36
My shoelaces keep coming undone during my runs, no matter how I tie them. I am half-seriously thinking of stapling them together at the knot before I go out for a run!

Has anyone tried these weird looking shoelaces and did you find them helpful?

http://www.sweatshop.co.uk/details.cfm?ProdID=7745

Have you got any top tips to share?
06/02/2012 at 21:59

I just double tie mine and find that's ok.

I know quite a lot of triathletes use elastic laces cos it's quicker to get in and out of their shoes in transitions, this sort of thing

http://www.sweatshop.co.uk/details.cfm?ProdID=6430

There is even an article on here about tying shoelaces!

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/shoes/how-to-lace-your-shoe/482.html

06/02/2012 at 22:46
double knot and then tuck the ends in under the laces - seems to do the trick for me.
06/02/2012 at 23:05
double knot but make sure it is not too tight as to restrict blood around the foot, also this if it is not too tight the running will not loosen the laces.
07/02/2012 at 08:08
Some laces are terrible at being knotted as they seem to be coated in teflon. Others are better on account of having more grip. I found that the action of the knot bouncing about while running is what loosened it. I solved this by simply stuffing the loose lace ends under the rest of the tied up laces.
07/02/2012 at 08:17
It's not just triathletes that use elastic laces! They're great, particularly when your fingers are cold and ordinary laces would be wet. Get some. My 90 year old stepdad uses them for his normal shoes too.
07/02/2012 at 11:19

I make a normal bow, but with long 'loops', then knot the loops, and tuck the ends in down the laces.   Never have come undone!!

07/02/2012 at 12:46

or you could get some of these:

Lock Laces

07/02/2012 at 14:03

I have lock laces for my shoes - they're fab!

07/02/2012 at 14:10

I use xtenex laces. They allow you to vary the tension along the length of the shoe.

The only problem I had is that they take a lot of effort to fit.

07/02/2012 at 23:43

I didn't get on with lock laces.  They were too tight on the fleshy out part of the foot and caused pain for me.   Loosening them made the shoe move around too much. 

Double bow for me works.  Stays done up for months.

08/02/2012 at 08:14
I use lock laces on all running shoes except my racing flats, luckily my Speedcross 3s have built in speed-lacing system

Brooks' standard laces were the worst... like teflon coated cheesewire.
14/07/2012 at 17:15

i go extreme...i tie my laces with about 10 knots. they look ridiculous...but never come undone.

apart from once in a xc race..which was a bit hairy..but i survived

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
13 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.