Ascis too big?

Size query

1 to 20 of 31 messages
04/09/2012 at 10:09

Just ordered my first pair of serious running shoes. Asics 2170. They arrived yesterday.I'm stumped on whether to return them or not.

I'm currently running in some cheap Nike shoes in size 8.5. They're a little tight, with the toe right on the egde.

So i ordered the Asics in size 9. When i tried them on yesterday there was an awful lot of room at the toe end. Almost a toenail length. They don't feel a big shoe as its quite a compact design but i'm worried about them slipping. I can just about get a finger down the back of the shoe.

I rang SportsShoes.com today and asked their advice. I wondered whether it was worth me getting size 8.5s sent out. The Nikes i have are too small but are there differences between Nike and Asics sizes?

The lady on the phone recommended i keep them, as they always suggest having some room at the front as your toe moves forward when running. Seems reasonable advice but i can't work out if she's just telling me that so i don't send them back, or is it genuine advice.

I obviously can't use the shoes until i decide what to do. Once i run in them i can't send them back.

Anyone else had this issue on Asics sizes? Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks

M...eldy    pirate
04/09/2012 at 10:32

Rule of thumb (pardon the pun) is a size or a 1/2 size bigger than standard shoe size

Usually going in to a shop to try them on will let you know how the different makes stack up against each other
It may also that the ones you have are different widths which may well make a difference

04/09/2012 at 10:40

I know Adidas trainers are a lot smaller than Asics so maybe Nike are also.I run in Asics same size as i normally am!

04/09/2012 at 11:37

I normally run in Asics size 8.5, but in the sales my preferred shoe was only available in a size 9.  Being a cheapskate, I bought them and although they do feel a bit large in comparison to my other pairs, this is quickly forgotten when I start running in them.

Having a bit of extra space for your toes will help.  The only thing to be careful with is that if they are too loose you could get some rubbing and blisters - but you should be able to adjust the laces to prevent this.

A useful sit is the america retailer - runningwarehouse.com - as they have a shoefittr application that lets you compare sizes of different brands.  If you know what model of Nike you had, it might be able to tell you if you bought the right size of Asics 2170.

04/09/2012 at 15:21

I was always told you should have at least a thumb width between the end of your longest toe and the end of the shoe to allow for movement and expansion.

I find Asics are quite generous in size - I wear the same size as my normal shoe, but would usually go up at least half a size in other trainer makes.

05/09/2012 at 09:37

I have a pair of nike in a 9 and mt toe touche the end, my new Asics same size and have around 1/2'' and a perfect fit.  I dont think there is a standard size system on shoes now, just like womens clothes, my wife can be anywhere between a 10 and 16 just depending on shop or make.

05/09/2012 at 15:18

thanks guys.

I'm still really struggling about what to do. Three days in and i still haven't worn them

Desperate to give them a 'run' out.

I'm so not sure what to do and worrying about it so much that i've even gone to the lengths of taking a picture of my foot!

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/726761/gallery/shoe-size.jpg?width=350

It's a thumbs width which to me is fairly significant. Is that too much? Or about right.

The Nike 8.5s are right on the edge where as you can see the difference here with Asics. Is that what a half size difference should look like?

Thanks guys so much. Want to run in them but scared of possibly wasting £60.

06/09/2012 at 10:24

My asics have a thumb widths gap between my toes n the end.

My last pair had a smaller gap and i've still got the black toenails to show for it.  I found it slightly weird the first couple of runs felt to big and i scraped the scuff area at the front, but soon got used to it and i've not had a single problem with my feet, except when I wore a pair of skinny socks, that caused a blister changed to my standard padded nike running socks and no problems.

06/09/2012 at 12:25

It seems to be that the general consensus is that the room at the end of the shoe is about right?

Dare i give them a try???

06/09/2012 at 12:50

Maybe email the company you got them from if you really want and confirm in writing if you go out on one or two test runs and they get dirty if you can still return them as you are worried about size but think they are ok.

Or, I know it's not quite the same can you get to a treadmill to test them where they will still look like new after the test run?

IronCat5    pirate
06/09/2012 at 17:20

ASICS tend to have a bigger toe box than say, Mizuno. I've had both for some time, and prefer the ASICS. Both the ASICS and Mizuno were the same marked size (44).

Interested in how you get on with the 2170. I have the 2160 but can't get a replacement.

06/09/2012 at 18:08

try them on indoors.

asics usually have significant arch support and they often gave me blisters in the past. If you feel they rub in wrong places - return them. If they don't then they fit.

06/09/2012 at 19:51

What a minefield eh...you expect same size = same fit, and what do you get, people with tales of every brand coming up different!

I wear work shoes 10, Mizuno Wave Riders 12, and had DS Racers size 12. Truth be known there's plenty of room in the 12s.

Therefore, I've moved speedwork trainer to the Adidas Adios, and was a little put off by people saying you need to go up 1/2 a size.

However, I think Adidas are just a narrower shoe, and are 2 sizes higher than my work shoes anyway, so should be fine.

Apparently speedwork/racers can be tighter than day to day fare anyway.

Hope so!!

07/09/2012 at 16:27

ok, on the back of advice here from booktrunk and others I decided to email the company. I had already phoned them once but thought perhaps the photo might make them see the evidence themself rather than picture it over the phone.

Their advice was that I have a recommended thumb nails width on the end of my shoe. However, this is on the right foot, and it is said that people have a slightly bigger foot on the left side. The left shoe is where they would recommend the thumbnails width, therefore making the pair of shoes a slightly bigger fitting on the right side.

They recommend I send the shoes back for an 8.5 UK, and use this size with the butterfly lace lock technique. This will help to bring the foot back towards the heel counter. I have no idea what that means but i will Google it. The butterfly lace lock should help for the fitting of the shoes.

The reason why they recommend a thumbnails width, is to allow for the arch to move and for the foot to swell during the natural gait cycle.

07/09/2012 at 16:38

The only thing i've seen on lacing techniques is this... At runners world.com

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-267--12334-0,00.html

07/09/2012 at 16:42

They suggested just Googling 'butterfly lace lock technique'

I can't find anything on it

07/09/2012 at 16:48

Nor could I. That's why I posted the thing above one of those mentions securing the heel.

IronCat5    pirate
07/09/2012 at 18:26

Form a loop using the top 2 eylets on each side, then feed the lace ends through the opposite loops. Pull tight then do a normal knot.

07/09/2012 at 19:50

James -   If its any help, I'm  shoe size 8 but 8.5 in Asics been wearing them for 4 years, not the same pair and 9 in Adidas. Your Asics do look a bit big in the photo.

I know hindsight is a  great thing but can you not return the Asics and  buy your first pair of decent running shoes from a running shop.

Edited: 07/09/2012 at 19:53
07/09/2012 at 21:41

look on google, loads on butterfly lacing and videos

1 to 20 of 31 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.