Base Layers - Anyone else struggle with these???

14 messages
11/10/2009 at 20:02

I have just bought a champion base layer for extra insulation as the winter approaches.

However, I have worn it for a couple of runs (10k & 6.5k) and found it quite tough to breath properly when tiring (before anyone says it, I am sure I have bought the right size)  I have taken a couple of views on this:

1) Bin it as it isn't doing me any good....

2) Keep going with it, on the basis that it will help strengthen my breathing so when I race & don't wear the under layer the theory is that I will find it easier...

Just wondered if anyone had any views?

Thanks for looking.

Edited: 11/10/2009 at 20:12
cougie    pirate
11/10/2009 at 20:13
Can't see its the under layer if it is the right size. I have some nike kit - can't say I have noticed it being any harder to breathe. Are you imagining it ? Or maybe there's another problem with your breathing ?
11/10/2009 at 20:48

Are you running in a corset?

I've a falke baselayer that's tiny but stretchy when on... doesn't affect my breathing though.

Maybe like your name you're setting off too quick?

11/10/2009 at 21:13
Agreed, I have a couple of Nike tops that fit like a second skin but I've never had a problem breathing in them.
11/10/2009 at 21:17

As the others say, I reckon that you're starting too fast.

If you want to check whether the top has anything to do with it, why not slow down/walk for a bit, check your breathing/ HR and see how you feel.  If you feel OK then it's more likely to do with your pace than your clothes.

Also, unless you're really in the frozen north, I wouldn't imagine that you'd need one for a bit - so maybe leave it at home for the next few weeks, improve your running and then see how you get on.

11/10/2009 at 21:45

Thanks for the feedback guys.

To be honest, I don't think it's a setting off too quick issue as I have learnt my lesson over the years.  I am a 1:30 Half Marathon / 40 Min 10k runner and tonight ran 6.5k at an easy 28 Mins, I finished feeling quite constricted.

I think when I said "found it quite tough to breath properly when tiring" I guess I meant that it felt constricting and that I had to work harder.

It may be that I have gone for a JJB's own brand, where as other posters have referred to more expensive versions, that's just me being a skinflint!!!!

Might just be me but the weather here today has been miserable, damp and cold (for me anyway) maybe I should just persevere and see if I get used to the feel of it.

11/10/2009 at 21:52

Some ppl just don't get on with tight fitting tops. Mr S cannot stand anything clingy; all his tops are loose style.

I don't like tops with tight necklines, feel like I'm being choked.

So I get where you're coming from.  Go for comfort

11/10/2009 at 21:54
Don't suppose you're coming down with a chest infection?
11/10/2009 at 22:01

Think you might be right Siance, will persevere for now, maybe I will get used to it.

Bol Sauce - Hope not, feel fine otherwise - 'touch wood' - Famous last words and all that!!!

11/10/2009 at 22:02
Well, go have a glass of hot milk & an early night, just in case. x
11/10/2009 at 22:12

Think I might just do that

Oh dear, just noticed I have sneezed 3 times in the last hour, Man Flu must be descending, that's it no work tomorrow, I am officially ill.....

12/10/2009 at 11:45

Mr CS has a Skins top and he says he prefers running in that as it seems to help rather than hinder his breathing...  Everyone is different though. 

*hands SetOffTooQuick a hot toddy*  There, that should make you feel better.

13/10/2009 at 16:48

When i first got my skins compression top which i use as a base layer i found it strange at first, it felt like it changed my posture ever so slightly so my shoulders were slightly further back so i wasnt as hunched over but as if i was standing to attention.

I did notice it was strange to breathe at first, it wasnt harder it just felt slightly constricting, but then after a few runs of wearing it, i went on a run without it and just didnt feel as good. I dont know if its psychological but i much prefer wearing a compression top now.

So maybe your just not used to sensation of having something so close to your skin and feeling slightly tight?

13/10/2009 at 20:02
Interesting question. I've just bought one of these http://www.startfitness.co.uk/product.asp?s=lmy6k9336786&strParents=&CAT_ID=0&P_ID=38544&strPageHistory=search&numSearchStartRecord=1 to go under my adidas jacket. On first trying it on I thought I had bought the wrong size and like you I have a feeling its constricting me a bit in my movement. But I've never worn anything like it before, whether that be on top or legs. I've only ran 3 times in it so far and on each run there is definately a different feeling when running. I'm going to persevere with it a few more times and make a judgement later.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
14 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.