Base layers

1 to 20 of 25 messages
05/11/2012 at 15:54

Hoping as this is the gear section I've posted in the right place.

Can someone recommend me a decent base layer please? I hate being too hot, but on my 6am run this morning was absolutly frozen as I'm still running in just a t shirt (yes I know I am stupid).

Thanks in advance. 

05/11/2012 at 16:34

Helly Hansen. They make a big selection of base-layers. The classic lifa tops are great, as are the merino wool ones.. My fave is the "Dry Revolution" range.... mega.

05/11/2012 at 16:34
For the current weather my fav combo is a light-weight long sleeve tee (I have Ronhill vizion) and a lightweight but windproof gilet. Tried lightweight jacket, which is useful if it rains, but even now it gets too hot.
05/11/2012 at 16:36
I have an icebreaker merino top but started using it for casual wear only. It may be good in keeping you warm, but if it does get wet, it stays wet
cougie    pirate
05/11/2012 at 16:42

HH are excellent. They're just about indestructable. I shall be wearing my 10 yo top later on tonight.  (i say 10  - it could be a lot older)

05/11/2012 at 17:21

Thanks everyone, shall look into the Helly Hansen and Ronhill ones and then use whatever birthday money I get at the weekend to invest one, not sure I'll last much longer in these temps in just a t shirt! 

cougie    pirate
05/11/2012 at 20:20
Check out aldi and lidl too. They often have running and cycling kit in. Excellent value.
05/11/2012 at 21:03

Thanks for that cougie, I only have a Lidl near college so will try and pop in this week and see what they have got.

05/11/2012 at 21:14
Be careful with the running tights in aldi recently. I tried some first time tonight and they are quite heavily seamed in the (ahem) crotch area which caused mild irritation on a short 4 mile speed session.
On the plus side they were only 9 quid so great for cross training but i'll be back in the ronhill tracksters for running.

As Coughie says though they do some good budget gear.
06/11/2012 at 00:06

my north face one is really nice, very soft, very comfy and not too hot, but at £30 it was a bit spendy, specially for getting all sweaty on a run, when the £4.99 decathlon ones are just as warm.

06/11/2012 at 09:13

Alternatively, field&trek and sportsdirect have a big selection of base layers

06/11/2012 at 10:50

My best ever base layer tops came from Aldi. One is a wicking t-shirt that has to be at least 8 years old now and is still in excellent condition. The other is a long sleeve stretchy thing that's as good as any big name brand compression top I ever tried out.

06/11/2012 at 11:51
cougie wrote (see)
Check out aldi and lidl too. They often have running and cycling kit in. Excellent value.

Completely agree. Also look at Under Armour for base layers. I normally use layers to trap the heat (one long sleeve, one short sleeve t-shirt).

06/11/2012 at 12:29

There is a decent Under Armour Sale for Base Layer on here at the moment

http://www.sportpursuit.com/join/grantyoung_1b8a4f

06/11/2012 at 13:12

Another vore for HH - lifa dry normally but Lifa warm when it dips below freezing.

06/11/2012 at 13:26

HH all the way.  Excellent at wicking away moisture/keeping you warm etc etc

06/11/2012 at 14:12

HH lifa - 20+ year old tops still going strong - used thousands of times. But also like the lidl base layers!

07/11/2012 at 12:45
Grant Young wrote (see)

There is a decent Under Armour Sale for Base Layer on here at the moment

http://www.sportpursuit.com/join/grantyoung_1b8a4f

Spam.

07/11/2012 at 17:50

I like UA as well. & Canterbury. I have a HH but it's not as good. UA coldgear is for when it is really cold, if you wore it now you'd probably be too hot. I wear it when the temp drops close to zero and unless I'm going somewhere exposed I'll only use one layer.

08/11/2012 at 14:13

I bought the long sleeve base layer and short sleeve & short pack from Aldi recently.  I cant believe how good they are both in terms of the job they do and the quality.  Both the long sleeve top and pack were £10 each and the only thing I'm dissapointed about is that I did not buy more.  I've spent a fair bit over the years on Under Armour, but never again if I can get more of Aldi's finest!

1 to 20 of 25 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.