battery charging on 405cx

Can I damage the watch.?...

10 messages
29/04/2010 at 20:51

I know from experience that the battery life of the garmin405CX isn't brilliant. I usually charge mine twice a week. What I am wondering is- am I doing any long term damage by charging the battery before it is completely flat?( I know with laptops- the lifespan improves if you only charge it when the battery is low)

Tonight I have 34% battery left; how long would this last for a run? I plan to do 10m tomorrow at 9:30 pace. Is 34% enough, or should I charge it tonight. I have had the experience of the watch getting the "low battery" signal and then going dead during a long run- which I want to avoid 

apart from this i think it is a great bit of kit.

29/04/2010 at 21:18
I am told that this type of battery can be charged as much or as little as you like as often as you like without damaging it. This advice comes from someone who never tires of explaining how to treat laptop & mobile batteriesto get the best possible life from them.
29/04/2010 at 21:40
great Chris: thanks for that
04/05/2010 at 16:59
As far as I can tell you most modern batteries don't like deep discharge that often, but also really HATE overcharging. So charge it after you run, but take it off charge once it is 'cooked'.  Deep discharge infrequently, but there is some value to doing it to keep capacity as high as possible...
04/05/2010 at 19:15

Been topping my 405 up for the last 2 years, battery life is still around the same as when I brought it.

06/05/2010 at 12:47
This is useful, thanks folks!  I just got a 405 and am a little surprised by how poor the battery life is.
Imeccentric    pirate
06/05/2010 at 12:51
Odd I think the 405 cx is good , its sound for a few hours training and being worn as a watch on three day biz trips , cant fault it.
29/12/2012 at 11:14

My wife's 405cx battery completely failed during the snowdonia marathon and hasnt worked since.  Useless for a 2 year old watch.  Mine has just done the same thing.  Utterly unreliable.

29/12/2012 at 14:07

I must admit I've never used my 405 as a normal watch, so haven't thought much about its battery performance outside of a run. 

When it was new it would just about manage a day cycling- about 8 hours with 6 or so hours actually riding. Now I get nervous over 4 or so hours of cycling. But that is loads for running. 

I do charge it every day though.

04/01/2013 at 15:13

Idiot question please. My 405 only stays charged for a little over 3 hours now - annoying when it lost the end of my one and only marathon. Is there any way of replacing the battery or do I need to contact Garmin?

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
10 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.