Beginner's Gear

What runners wish they'd known before they hit the shops

1 to 20 of 32 messages
22/11/2005 at 12:59
As the sages often tell us, one of the great things about running is that you only need a pair of properly-fitted shoes. But what is the reality?

I’m writing an article for Runner’s World and I’d like to know the answers to these questions:

What you wish you had known when you started buying running gear?
What gear questions do you still not have the answer to?
And finally, what would you never run without?

Thanks!

Berry
Stump    pirate
22/11/2005 at 13:07
- You can buy technical gear cheap (it doesn't have to have Ron Hill on it to work)

- The best socks - (I have loads)

- Stopwatch - (sucker for logging)
22/11/2005 at 13:08
1 - not to wear cotton, particularly heavy cotton. Lycra and wicking materials changed my running life!

2 - erm...

3 - hubby's name and phone number (in case I meet lions and tigers and bears and get deaded), my phone, and if it's a long one, a map! And if it's going to be more than 90 minutes, a drink. Oh, and if it's even a tiny bit dull and I'm running on the road, a high-viz jacket. On the roads near me you CANNOT be seen if you're not wearing something bright. Horse riders take note, please.
22/11/2005 at 13:19
1. Socks can cause more blisters than trainers - invest in some decent ones!

2. How do i know if a sports bra is giving me enough support?

3. My house key!
22/11/2005 at 14:15
wicking clothes are excellent & a pair of wicking socks are the single best investment.

You don'y need the extra expense of padded running socks - endura do cheaper coolmax bike socks that do the job. You can probably find even cheaper wicking socks if you search around.
22/11/2005 at 15:12
1 - Technical fabrics are ace so don't buy cotton.
2 - How to keep warm on the first 10 minutes of a winter run without being too hot on the rest of the run.
3 - Running Bear socks.
22/11/2005 at 15:15
Vaseline or similiar.

Buy online and last years colours and styles to get BIG savings
KKD
22/11/2005 at 15:50
- Wish I'd known about wicking tops and to always wear shorts instead of trousers in summer no matter what the legs are like!

- Running bra & correct support

_ Shoes!!
KKD
22/11/2005 at 15:52
1. Technical fabrics are not only great for their wicking abilities, but seem to last for ages too (I've got running tights that I've had for about five years, and are still going strong!)
2. I avoid shorts (the lycra type) because of wibbly bits but also because they seem to ride up or dig in (making the wibbly bits more obvious). I'd like to find a pair that stay put.
3. My Garmin Forerunner, I love it to bits!
22/11/2005 at 16:43
1. That it is a must to go to a proper running shop and get feet fitted with shoes that are for your specific running syle.

2. Is anyone going to buy me a Garmin for xmas?

3. My HRM. I still can't tell my pace unless I'm wearing it.
22/11/2005 at 16:56
It only seems polite I answer my own questions!

Certain manufacturers make running tights that squeeze themselves to the narrowest part of the body, leading to indecency in us larger types.

Why aren't there more pockets in ladies' running clothes?

My wrist key holder thingy which was a race freebie and ideal for those minimalist runs and races where you stick all your gear in the car and can only take your car-keys with you!
M...eldy    pirate
22/11/2005 at 17:12
1. How much money I was going to spend on what I thought was free exercise!

2. Why I am magnetically drawn to Wiggle every 5 minutes

3. Garmin, Shuffle and front door key :-)
22/11/2005 at 17:48
1. Lycra shorts (can be under normal ones if you're modest) to stop the chafing.

Vaseline on the eyebrows to stop sweat running into your eyes.

Tights/tracksters in winter, you might think you're warm enough in shorts, but your knees wont thank you.

Buff. Works as a hat, neck scarf, headband, bandit mask and sweat rag. Also available with reflective stripe thingies. Doubles as the ultimate in hill chic.

2. Why can't a physio, podiatrist, chiro, masseuse, accupuncturist and tantric reiki healer work out what the injury problem is?

3. My nike ex-swimming shorts, that the arse has burst on. Useless for swimming, but perfect from keeping my thighs from sanding each other.
22/11/2005 at 17:50
Gumps - I have only EVER seen Vaseline-coloured Vaseline.
Ye Olde Dragon    pirate
22/11/2005 at 18:02
evening

1. go to Aldi's for all running gear, it's cheap, good looking and will last for ever!

2. Why is this forum so magnetic?

3. My Garmin (Henry)
22/11/2005 at 18:05
1) wicking tops (tesco do some cheap ones)

2) arm thingy for mobile phone and key

3) Cap to keep rain off my glasses

4) My navman (love it)

5) proper running shoes

6) elastic laces

7) Hiviz showerproof jacket

8) fleecy hat that covers ears in winter

9) A stopwatch that goes on your wrist and doesn't have to be carried in your hand

10) Hydration backpack for long runs and sunny day runs

TT ;0)
22/11/2005 at 18:31
What I wish I'd known when I started buying running gear: Unless I move to one of the poles, I'm never going to need more than a couple of layers on top and a gilet. Any more and I'm boiling hot after 10 minutes, even in the dead of winter.

Question I still don't have the answer to: I agree with the problem of no pockets, or very tiny pockets, in women's clothes, that annoys me so much. Also, why, when I bought about 5 pairs of the £1 fleece gloves from Tesco last year, can I find none of them this winter?

I would never run without: a sports bra and some Bodyglide. Although I would usually wear more than just that.
Duck Girl    pirate
22/11/2005 at 18:51
1. the importance of proper bras. Sportsjock are very good.
Cheap kit from Aldi, & in sales (hiking shops can also be good for wicking kit).

2. scarf to wear on cold evenings to keep my throat & lungs from freezing up that does not get in the way. Way to make cyclists notice you even when you are already wearing 7 reflective things and 6 seperate lights. Thing for warning you when you are about to hit a cow in the dark (why can't someone fit them with reflectives?)

3. would never road-run without my high-viz bib - it's a very old ron hill one that my dad brought my mum 22 years ago when i was but a bump (aaahh), but it's still going - & i brought a near-identical one last week for a friend for £6 - so probably the best-value bit of kit ever. Mesh so does not make me hot, shiny yellow, & reflective stripes for after dark.
Also emergency phone number in permanent marker inside my shoes.

off-road, would never go for a long run without my running backpack - £20 Camelback knock-off, carries phone, sweets, bivvy bag, jacket, map, torch, etc, much more comfortably than a big rattly hiking pack. Also Mudrocs. Do everything!

on a less serious note, i like my mp3 player, and my flashing arm & leg bands - my friends can always tell it is me from a long way off wearing them.

my headtorch (tikka+) opened up new worlds of night-time running, & is very handy for many other things.

random tip: rechargeable batteries from Dixons are useful, cheap, eco-friendly & convenient for headtorch, mp3, & similar.
Duck Girl    pirate
22/11/2005 at 18:53
1. (cont.) vaseline, and some sort of moisturising stuff for post-shower, is very useful for prevention & cure of chapped & muddy legs in winter.
Compeed blister plasters & micropore tape.
M...eldy    pirate
22/11/2005 at 18:56
hit a cow???
1 to 20 of 32 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.