Best all round running trainers

What are the best value trainers for both trail and road running?

12 messages
05/09/2013 at 11:54

I heard Asics Men's Gel Cumulus 14 M Trainers are good?

05/09/2013 at 12:03

I'm interested in this as I have the women's version which I find extremely comfy and good on road and trail but haven't heard much about the men's. Anyone have opinions?

05/09/2013 at 17:35

There pretty much the same as any other shoe. They look quite nice.

I would go for an off roader that isn't too agressive on the sole so that it can handle a bit of mud aswell as the road. Would think more in terms of what feels good in the shop(and looks good) rather than the brand and the name. 

Edited: 05/09/2013 at 17:38
05/09/2013 at 18:37

Merrell Trail glove, great on both, depends on how muddy the trail is, off road dusty/compact mud/tow paths etc trails are great in it, as is road running, but if you're talking wet slippy mud, there is no show that will do that and road well. 

05/09/2013 at 21:47

If you were limited to owning one pair of shoes for everything, then the Brooks Adrenaline (or Defyance if you were neutral)  would probably be the best compromise.  Although it is a road shoe, it has a profile similar to many trail shoes, and will handel mud better than some purpouse made trail shoes.  Quite a few trail runners use it.  The Nike Pegasus with its waffle tread pattern also works well on mud and wet grass.  Again, it is often favoured for some of the longer trail races. 

05/09/2013 at 23:28

Ben, have you tried the Saucony Peregrine?

05/09/2013 at 23:38

No I havn't. 

Always fancied a pair though!

06/09/2013 at 15:30

Brookes Ghost...for me, the best most consistent running shoe ever. I am 14st and get 500 comfortable miles out of them no problem

06/09/2013 at 20:32

+1 for Brooks Adrenaline.  Not very 'exciting', but the best shoes I've ever owned.  I'd have some now, if I didn't have a stockpile of other shoes.

06/09/2013 at 20:45
DiscountRunner wrote (see)

+1 for Brooks Adrenaline.  Not very 'exciting', but the best shoes I've ever owned.  I'd have some now, if I didn't have a stockpile of other shoes.

My first 50 miler was the Thames Trot which took place on muddy river towpaths after heavy rain.  My Brooks Adrenalines handled it better than my companions Asics Trabuco’s.  A few months later I ran my second 50 miler in them, which was the Comrades, which is obviously a road race.  They handled both races flawlessly.  I recently ran the South Downs Way 100 in the same pair of shoes, which takes place mainly on chalk paths. 

They don’t owe me anything!

11/09/2013 at 10:55

Thanks for the advice guys.

11/09/2013 at 11:00

I got a pair of gel cumulus 14 recently and they seem fine , most of my running is on the road with a bit on grass when the legs are sore.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
12 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.