best gps watch????

21 to 37 of 37 messages
12/11/2012 at 15:21

Remember you don't have to use Garmin Connect. It's very pretty, but I personally find fetcheveryone far more useful. There are no end of places to store your data though, so worth checking out which works best for you.

Ultra AJH    pirate
13/11/2012 at 10:07

I import into fetch from connect. Saves me having to actually type it in

13/11/2012 at 21:48
I just bought myself a Garmin forerunner 10 and have only used it a couple of times up to yet but I love it. It's really simple to use and tells me everything I need to know, pace, distance and time.

I don't know how I every managed without it now.
14/11/2012 at 09:45

Can anyone recommend a fairly basic GPS with altitude? I'm mainly a hill runner and want some idea of ascent - don't car if it's not super-accurate. I get it from my phone but am struggling with missed data points on that (and don't take a phone very often). I'd use it running and biking.

14/11/2012 at 13:20

Anyone would think that only garmins exist....

Soleus, Polar, Timex and Suunto all make GPS running watches.

Soleus has them under £100.00, Timex have them under £115.00 and both Polar & Suunto under £125.00 if price is an issue.

I have nothing against Garmin, but they aren't the only option.

15/11/2012 at 15:58

You don't have to upload to connect first, you can just upload it straight to fetch - no typing needed. I do type a quite comment, but i have to do that in connect anyway.

16/12/2012 at 20:02

I've had a Garmin 205 for 3 years now and wouldn't be without it. Its a brilliant watch that though it marketed at £229.99 at the time only cost me £99.99 (or something silly) from Sweatshop at the time. 

I have never regretted it. It is so simple to use, and whether its for a short 3 mile run or a downloaded 18-20 mile run with directions, it has been so, so accurate. There have been times when I've not taken a track because it didn't look right only for the watch to alert me and for me to find it was bang on and my instinct was wrong!

Reading the report referenced earlier in this thread the 305 came out tops, and I'm not surprised. Judging by that article, the thing to be cautious of with Timex, Nike etc is quite obviously their accuracy. I've never had such a problem with my 205.

I've never used any other GPS watch (though I have used Runkeeper and MapMyRun on my phone), and I'm not likely to be persuaded to change either. Personally I don't recognise any of the problems a few folk have noted, but I do know just how helpful and supportinve the folk at Garmin are with questions or issues.

As you might have guessed, I'm a Garmin fan!

16/12/2012 at 20:29
I've had a garmin 205 and 305 and now have a suunto ambit, ok so its much more expensive but it is far better than the garmins were I wouldn't go back to a garmin after having a suunto!
16/12/2012 at 23:16
Tenjiso wrote (see)

305 is fantastic.... but they don't make them any more .  The profiteers have pushed the price up to around the same as the new 310XT (about 180 quid), so I'm going to go for the latter when the price is right (it's waterproof, has great battery life and is very similar to the 305).

I'm glad to say I picked up a 310xt with HRM for 150 quid in the Amazon lightning sales.  Well chuffed, but I've got to wait until Christmas Day to start using it   Not long now.

17/12/2012 at 15:59

touie what's the advantage of the suunto?  Why do you prefer it so much?  (I'm thinking of buying a gps heart rate watch and am flummoxed by the number of options out there...)

17/12/2012 at 20:39

I don't actually have the HR monitor that goes with my watch! But for my needs it seems to be more accurate than the Garmin's were when I check the distance at the end of a race, the battery can last for 50 hours with GPS, it usually takes a couple of seconds to get GPS signal, you can wear it as a normal watch and access the altimeter and compass without the gps, the navigational functions are superior! You would need to compare it to the Garmin Fenix rather than the 205 or 305 though as they are most similar! That said i prefer the look of the Suunto Ambit the Fenix looks slightly chunkier and less rounded!

Edited: 17/12/2012 at 20:40
17/12/2012 at 21:01
Thanks
18/12/2012 at 07:08

Hillary - go to www.dcrainmaker.com and read the very in-depth reviews of the Suunto's and the Garmins.  

It very much depends on what you will be doing with the watch.  The site says that the Suunto Ambit, for example, is aimed at ultra runners and not at triathletes or casual runners.

I find the reviews on that site are very informative.  They helped me a lot with my buying decision.  After all, GPS watches are not cheap, so it pays to know what you're looking for.

26/12/2012 at 14:45

I pulled the details together on Garmin running watches on to one page last month.  http://www.squidoo.com/garmin-110-forerunner There was quite a lot of scratching around for the information.

www.dcrainmaker.com though does the best in-depth reviews and covers other makes.

02/01/2013 at 12:55

After much reading of the reviews on that site I went for the garmin 610.  It certainly does the job.

Thanks all.

01/02/2013 at 10:04

Has anyone tried the 310XT? Apparently it has a 20 hour battery life and is swim proof!!! I had kind of thought about trading my 305 in for one but not sure if it is worth it!

http://jamil.web.id/thanks.jpg

Edited: 05/02/2013 at 14:25
02/02/2013 at 11:56

I'm using a 310XT now having bought it used off a chap at work, going cheap (I couldn't resist). I used to have the 305 (my wife inherited that).

I like the 310xt a lot. It's predominantly a Tri orientated watch. While i use it for cycling and running I've not swam with it. 

To be honest, if you are happy with your 305 I wouldn't bother unless you can get a good price on it. While features like the vibrate alert are good and the calories algorithm is better (uses heart rate etc) it isn't that much better than the 305. I'm sure the accuracy and speed of the GPS lock was better on the 305 too. Not that the 310 is bad you understand just that 305 seemed a bit more reliable.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 37 of 37 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.