Best shoe to rival Nike Zoom Elites

for fitting, performance and support?

18 messages
08/02/2008 at 15:40

I absolutely refuse to pay over £55 (at the moment) for these wonderful shoes and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a suitable other shoe?

I've heard the Asics Speedstar is such a shoe but don't know much about these. I want some shoes to either train in or do Edinburgh marathon.

08/02/2008 at 22:25
Yeah they're meant to be ok, what are you running in at the moment?
Edited: 08/02/2008 at 22:26
09/02/2008 at 11:25
Various shoes, including some rapidly-wearing-out Zoom Elites, Nike Skylons and some Pegasus.
Do2    pirate
10/02/2008 at 01:03
Have heard Zoom Elites are a good alternative to Asics DS trainers, so vice versa??
10/02/2008 at 14:47
Cheers, Dof2, I've had some of these in the past but don't really get on with Asics (despite mentioning the Speedstars). I like Nikes and want a faster but supportive shoe for marathoning in. The Pegasus are just a bit too heavy for me.
14/02/2008 at 11:52
Ever considered the mizuno wave elixir ? Version 3 just out, and available at Start Fitness at just over   your budget. Mizuno's equivalent to the zoom elite and gets great reviews.
14/02/2008 at 16:57
Have a look at dorunning.co.uk, Zoom Elites are on there for £40. Version 2 mind (now onto version 4) but still best shoe I've ever run in!!
14/02/2008 at 18:03

Grrr. Not my size available.

Anyone got any other alternatives. I'm in the market for a pair of llight support shoes for fast running. Or faster than my usual runs anyways.

Blisters    pirate
16/02/2008 at 00:38

Zoom marathoner? but getting rare now. I'm wearing Mizuno Wave Elixir 2 as my high milers. £35 plus £5 p&p. Bargain.

I have loved the DS racer shoes, but they aren't half pricey. They also have a couple of other drawbacks. Limited forefoot cushioning, not that much is needed, but they are quite hard after 20 miles racing. And of course the legendary Asics lack of grip in the wet. Remember Lel and Limo in FLM 2006? It's interesting to see how old pairs wear. The heel zone becomes compressed, and may even wear a shade. The spider pattern of black rubber on the forefoot is as hard and solid as when it was new. It's like they have used the wrong grade rubber there. Otherwise beautifully light. Just think, that they could be lighter.

DS Trainer has a lot of fans too, but again, you'll be needing that mortgage, and dry roads.

16/02/2008 at 12:27

You may also wish to consider the New Balance 902.

Here is a link to a useful website : http://www.shoeguide.co.uk/exec/view-shoe/new-balance-902-mens-2007-1

21/02/2008 at 22:45

You might like the Brooks Axiom: it's a lightish 'support' shoe. I wear a pair for races and train in Brooks Adrenaline. Like Meep-Meep before me, I've pasted a link below to the Shoe Guide site, but if you shop around you'll probably pick up a pair for c.£50.

http://www.shoeguide.co.uk/exec/view-shoe/brooks-axiom-2-mens-2008-5

22/02/2008 at 11:45
Fell Liker wrote (see)

I absolutely refuse to pay over £55 (at the moment) for these wonderful shoes and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a suitable other shoe?

I've heard the Asics Speedstar is such a shoe but don't know much about these. I want some shoes to either train in or do Edinburgh marathon.

What size are you looking for ?
22/02/2008 at 11:47
Wouldn`t recommend the Zoom Marathoner as an equivalent. I train in Zoom Elites & race in Marathoners. The latter is lighter, less supportive and the heel sits lower to the ground.
22/02/2008 at 14:38
Elixir are good. Have to say though if you want the Elite then you may just have to find them cheap or stump up!
25/02/2008 at 17:50

Due to needing all the help I can get when it comes to running faster I want to get some light shoes for racing in. (Stop sniggering at the back).

I run my runs in ASICS 3000 and looking at this thread wonder if anyone has any views on what would be good?

Reading this I am wondering about the New Balance 902, Brooks Axiom or Nike ELite? Does anyone habe any views on these or other ideas on what I should try? How good do you have to be to wear racers. I'm not very good but don't have any injury problems. Where can I find out about racing shoes?

26/02/2008 at 10:36

Depends whether you want a racing shoe or a lightweight racer/trainer?

The NB 902, Brooks Axiom or Nike Zoom Elite are classed as lightweight trainers, lighter than normal training shoes such as the Asics 3000 you are currently wearing, but more cushioning than an out-and-out racing shoe such as the DS Racer or Nike Marathoner. Racing shoes are obviously very light, but don't have as much cushioning.

It depends on what distances you will be racing, but the safer option would be to go for a lightweight trainer. If you have got on well with the Asics 3000, might be worth trying the DS Trainer?

26/02/2008 at 11:17
That's what I'm not sure about. How much less cushioning do racers have. Can you get them with support? Are there any reviews out there. I think I would just use them for my really short sessions and races at 5k and 10k.
27/02/2008 at 10:15

Racing shoes tend to only have fancy air/gel/other cushioning units in the heel, just eva foam for the rest of the shoe. Lightweight trainers will normally have cushioning units in the heel AND forefoot.

Racing shoes with support include Asics DS Racer, Saucony Fastwitch Endurance and Adidas Supernova Comp Light. As they are so light, the support is obviously not going to be as much as in a normal training shoe. I've got a pair of the Adidas ones and use them for track training and road races up to 10km

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
18 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.