beware free t shirt offer from "do running"

1 to 20 of 21 messages
01/04/2008 at 16:36

I have recently purchased 5 pairs of trainers (Nike Vaporfly) from dorunning.com - free t-shirt with every pair of trainers ordered. I have not received a t-shirt from them, and following a call to their Customer Services today, will NOT be receiving a  single free t-shirt !

I was told that there is not a free t-shirt with this particular trainer, however when I ordered the trainers online there was a tick-box to request my FREE t-shirt size - so I expected to get one.

It's not like I'm desperate for a FREE t-shirt, as I enter many events where the rewards are a t-shirt.

I am just the sort of person who when told you will receive something, you should get it. I don't appreciate being conned in this way in order to boost their sales.

I will not be buying from them again.

Don't do dorunning or you will be done! Well done dorunning.com !  clap clap clap

01/04/2008 at 17:27

never had a problem with dorunning!

order 2 pairs off asics - got 2 t-shirts! - dorunning and start fitness are the only folks i buy running kit from.

cougie    pirate
01/04/2008 at 17:29
Sounds like it was a mistake ? If you arent bothered about the free teeshirt - why the kerfuffle ? Did the offer of the free teeshirt swing the deal for you ?

If it did - then send the shoes back and get a refund and spend that on a teeshirt ?

If it didnt - then at least your wardrobe isnt as packed as it could have been.
Edited: 01/04/2008 at 17:31
01/04/2008 at 17:36
I've always had good service from do running and the T shirts were always proper running tops as oppossed to a plain cotton T shirt. I hope your experience is an isolated case.
cougie    pirate
01/04/2008 at 17:48
Actually after looking at the website - they do say that theres a free tee with each shoe purchase. OK - i prob wouldnt expect (or want) five tees with buying five shoes, but they should send you one at least. Tees may not be up to much tho.

01/04/2008 at 18:01

I got mine with my order of 1 pair of shoes.  As cougie syays tho, wasn't up to much, just a cotton tee with a logo.

You're really not missing out, but as you've said, a deal is a deal and should be honoured.

01/04/2008 at 22:45

The Nike Vaporfly is £19.99 at www.dorunning.com against a RRP of £44.99, which makes it a very good offer indeed.  This might well be why you bought 5 pairs at once. It does say "free tee with this shoe", as it does with all shoes, perhaps it's something they can't remove.

But if you look a little further down in the Product Details section it states:

These are quick and what a price. Therefore we are sorry, however we CANNOT DO A FREE DORUNNING TEE with these. At this price though you simply must treat yourself.

It also says this at the top on the right hand side. Given that performance t-shirts such as this are worth roughly £15, did you really expect to receive 5 pairs of Vaporfly AND 5 performance t-shirts for £103.90 INCLUDING POSTAGE?

If you did, then I am, quite frankly, amazed.

Edited: 01/04/2008 at 22:51
02/04/2008 at 07:35

Moonferret - it was the Vaporfly I bought too (what a bargain - and they're fab), and I do recall reading that they couldn't offer the free tee with those shoes.

However, at one point I was offered to put in a size for my tee, and subsequently got one.

Perhaps I shouldn't have received one, but what the hell.

The Evil Pixie    pirate
02/04/2008 at 07:37
got my tee and the service was fab
02/04/2008 at 07:41
Snap pixie
02/04/2008 at 08:09

That's brilliant Daz, well done.  As you say, it's generally regarded as an excellent shoe, so not just cheap, good too! 

This thread is having the opposite effect on me to the intended one.  I'm seriously considering buying a pair or two, and if by any chance I don't get the opportunity to use them, I'm sure they wouldn't make a loss on eBay at some point in the future!

As for the free t-shirt, I wouldn't care whether I received it or not.  I have an ample collection of "performance" t-shirts....enough to last me a lifetime in fact.  And I'm not sure I'd fancy becoming a walking (no running!) advert for them with the "you are an athlete" logo across the chest of the yellow creation, so not me!

I'd better get a move on...this thread will be alerting people to the offer who may have "accidentally" allowed the leaflets advertising it to have remained on the newsagent's shelf!

Edited: 02/04/2008 at 08:15
02/04/2008 at 09:56

Although I would not necessarily have expected a freebie at that price, Jaspa does have a point.

Ordinarily, I would't bother to post but when there is an online banner, up there ^^^ at the top of this page advertising a free t shirt with every pair of shoes, then it is very, very misleading.

Turning on its head, I can see why dorunning to not want to give away free t shirts on such bargains, but if, by doing so, they are contravening trading standards then it illustrates a lack of commercial acumen. By saving the xxx£ that the t shirt cost them, they are comprimising their whole marketing initative and leaving themselves open for a ticking off by the advertising standards agency.

Unless that, is, they are following the old line of no such thing as bad publicity... 

02/04/2008 at 10:24

This is just stupid moaning IM(not so)HO.

I'm sure I saw in the leaflet they stated explicitly that for this particular offer they could NOT offer the usual free t deal and if you go to the shoe on their website it says the same thing.

OK, so their check out system is set up for their usual 'free t with every shoe' deal and displaying a box requesting size. So effin what?

Grow up and accept the great deal on the shoes you got and stop bitching about an alledged injustice that was never done to you.

For those particular shoes at that price they stated very clearly there would not be a free t. Not a hint of misleading advertising about it.

Edited: 02/04/2008 at 10:25
02/04/2008 at 10:45

Had good service from dorunning in the past.

Looked at the Vaporfly, it is the new version and £19.99 is a ridiculous offer and I read in two different sections that free t-shirt offer did not apply. Accept that you got a great bargain and stop grumbling about a free cotton tee.

02/04/2008 at 12:15
At last, a review on dorunning.com!

I ordered a pair of shoes and my favourite Hilly socks (can't buy them here) 1.5 weeks ago and still wait for the parcel to arrive. Some might say it's too long to wait but I'm outside of the EU and too much to the East of it. I hope nothing happens with my order and I'll get my shoes and SOCKS (much more important).
02/04/2008 at 12:22
My new running shirt has just arrived from do running,only ordered it Monday.very quick service and a smashing shirt.will order from them again.
02/04/2008 at 16:07
Got my shirt. Worn the shoes but the shirt is in the drawer.
OJO
02/04/2008 at 17:02

Hmm, well I can see the original poster's point. I hate being ripped off too so I take a dim view of headline offers that are contradicted in the small print.  It would depend how obvious the small print was really....

Having said that, I've never been tempted by dorunning's free t-shirt offer. Are they good quality? I've always been put off their gear (as seen in ads) by the fact that it ALL appears to have their logo plastered across it in foot-high letters. Fair enough, if you're going to get a freebie, expect it to have an advert on it.

But if I'm going to pay for an item of clothing, I'm not happy to be a billboard!

03/04/2008 at 11:57
Yeah, that damn bold all capitals 'small print' right next to shoe image is designed to rip people off
03/04/2008 at 12:05

Mferret - I would say yes get some, they helped me to a new PB on Saturday. 

I'd never tried them (racings flats) before, but had seen guys in them at races, and thought at £20 I'd take a punt.  Glad I did!

1 to 20 of 21 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.