Bum bag running bag type thingy!

Recommendations please

19 messages
02/09/2010 at 15:55
I need to get a running bag sort of bum bag type thingy for running, mainly to put a few tissues in and a few jelly babies for when I do the GNR.  I asked in my local sports shop and they only do one with a bottle (have a hand held one and not sure I really want to run with one round my waist anyway) and they wanted £30 for it!!   I don't want anything flashy and expensive, just something that will do the job.  Can anyone recommend anything and where I can get it from?
cougie    pirate
02/09/2010 at 16:14
Look at the High 5 or SIS gel belts ? About a fiver or so and you can fit your stash in there.  Go for whichever gels you favour as they arent interchangeable.
Farnie    pirate
02/09/2010 at 16:19

I have one with a bottle from decathlon much better than running with a bottle in your hand

and its got lots of space for ipod, mobile phone jellybabies....

02/09/2010 at 16:24

Cougie, I've not used any gels yet, was just planning on using jelly babies to get me through the GNR!  Will have a look at those, thanks.

Farnie, does it not bounce about and bash you, running with a bottle on a belt?  Which one have you got?

Farnie    pirate
02/09/2010 at 16:45

no, it fits in the small of your back so its not on one side or the other and as long as you have it done up right, it doens't move

I think its this one....but it was a while a go a got it

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/1-bottle-hydration-belt-30224599/

they do others which you can mix and match the little bottles 

02/09/2010 at 17:38

I bought a good bumbag at Blacks for about a tenner - no bottle holder though (I've tried one with a bottle holder but couldn't get on with it bouncing around.   I'm quite skinny and found that it was difficult to get a good fit).   Sorry can't remember the name of the one I have, but Blacks stock various bumbags, so might be worth a look.

For something bigger (when you move up to maras and ultras ), I'd recommend http://www.peteblandsports.co.uk/trolleyed/12/17/161/

Good luck with GNR.

02/09/2010 at 18:54
Some of my running shorts have a small zip pocket at the back. That would be big enough for a few tissues and jelly babies, if your not looking to carry water.

I use a fuel belt which can hold four small water bottles (although I usually only carry one or two) and has a pouch which can hold mobile phone keys etc., it fits quit snugly around the waist and doesn't bounce around.
02/09/2010 at 19:24
I have a Nathan 5K I think it is called. Small neoprene thing which is fab. You can get a bigger one but I've not needed that.
02/09/2010 at 20:49
Wiggle do a small asics bumbag £9. i can get a phone, keys, tissues and jelly beans into it and i hardly notice it's there! Hope this helps
02/09/2010 at 21:00

I got an adidas one from sweatshop for £12 reduced from 15.

It's this one but it is dearer from this site

http://www.liangseng.com/product_detail.asp?ItemSID=20898&CatSID=339 

02/09/2010 at 21:55
Thanks everyone   Lots of suggestions there!  Will have a look around and try a few on I think, see which suits me best.
02/09/2010 at 21:55
Check out JJB they have Nike bum bags that essentially carry an iPod Nano in the front pocket & also have another pocket big enough for keys & jelly beans.
03/09/2010 at 13:04
SIS Marathon bag does for me, enough space for keys, a mobile, some change for a drink on a long run and the all important tissue paper for emergency use.  It was about £7 I think.  The pocket in the back of my shorts makes the loo roll and jelly babies go soggy and the look from a shopkeeper on handing him a soggy tenner, sticky with jelly babies and with bits of tissue paper stuck to it is to be avoided.
cougie    pirate
03/09/2010 at 13:40
LOL !
03/09/2010 at 17:00
SIS bag from Tesco for £6.99 is good. I use it on longer runs for the tissues/ jelly babies/ door key etc... has loops for the gels (not tried them though- loops not gels)
03/09/2010 at 17:16
GraemeK wrote (see)
The pocket in the back of my shorts makes the loo roll and jelly babies go soggy and the look from a shopkeeper on handing him a soggy tenner, sticky with jelly babies and with bits of tissue paper stuck to it is to be avoided.
http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/546545/Gallery/ROFL.gif

Ooo, £6.99 in Tescos eh?  Got to go there tomorrow, so will have a look out for them.  Are they in the clothing bit?  Or are they only in the ginormous Tescos that are over two floors and have escalators?!

Edited: 03/09/2010 at 17:16
03/09/2010 at 19:13
I got mine from the sports section at the Tesco extra near work if that helps, with the gels and protien powders etc
03/09/2010 at 19:48
Don't think we have a Tesco Extra, just the normal ones here.  Maybe I'll have a lookie see on line, see if they do them that way.
19/09/2011 at 08:52

Hey rachel wood 29, welcome to the forum. Thanks for advertising for www.carpplay in 4 of your 5 initial postings.

(edit: the abovementioned poster got deleted, so this looks an awful lot like a non sequitur. Sigh. I guess I'm obliged to mention that my Hilly brand thingy with neoprene straps only lasted a couple of years because the neoprene has lost its stretch.)

Edited: 19/09/2011 at 22:05

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
19 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.