bumbag for ultramarathon

Help me find a bumbag for an ultramarathon!

12 messages
13/02/2013 at 12:24

Hello,

Im going to do my first ultra soon, its 40 miles and has aid stations but I need to take along gels, spare socks, a water bottle...maybe a map...you get the idea! The problem is I just don't like running with a back pack, Im quite small and they never fit, my next step is to try a bumbag, can anyone recommend one that isn't too bulky, has a water bottle and doesn't move around? I have never used one before.

Thanks for your help in advance!

Becca

13/02/2013 at 12:26

inov-8 race elite 3. On sale at Pete Bland at the moment.

13/02/2013 at 12:38

Thanks, I heard someone talking about that...they said it was really unbalanced on the hips....?

13/02/2013 at 12:48

if you want a small backpack with a womens fit - Deuter speedcross 10? - very small, very light

13/02/2013 at 14:49

I've read some good reviews of Flip Belt http://www.flipbelt.com/the-flipbelt/ 

I haven't tried it for myself yet but do have one on order so will let you know!

13/02/2013 at 18:23
How about a nice runner's rucksack instead of a fanny bag. Far more fashionable.
13/02/2013 at 21:21

OMM Ultra Pack - good waist belt. I had one for ages, but I found the bottle cage tore with a full bottle in it after relatively short time. Other than that, it was stunningly good. Now got a £12 one from Northern Runner - no bottle holder, but you can get a holder that will go on the belt - that's what I've done when I needed it.

Saying which, running my first ultra in June, planning on using an OMM Last Drop, my home-to-work pack, think it will fit quite small (though I'm tall and broad, so I can't really check myself).

13/02/2013 at 21:23

Rebecca , try the Nathan backpack, its designed for female shoulder width. im very small and i love the Nathan vest.

14/02/2013 at 12:21

Thanks for the advice...back packs...I really dont like them but maybe the Nathan backpack..is it a vest? I much prefer the idea of a bumbag but yes I wont be that fashionable! Ill train under the cover of darkness...

14/02/2013 at 13:03

I use the Inov-8 Race Pro 4 with the hydration bladder and hose thingy (like a camel pak).  There's plenty of space for your kit and water in there and I find it well balanced around my waist.  I used it all through marathon training and for the marathon too. 

I hate running with back packs too, just rubs on my shoulders and makes my back sweaty...

14/02/2013 at 13:12

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/531201/gallery/untitled_28.png?width=350

this is the nathan vest rebecca

19/02/2013 at 08:18
The inov8 race elite 3 is pretty good in my opinion, as long as you don't run with a bottle in the bottle holder. I usually carry the bottle and keep munchies in the actual bottle holder. I've had to fashion a lid though to stop my them bouncing out.

I like it, certainly just the right size far full waterproofs, scran, and your essentials.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
12 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.