Camel Bak and what to put in it??

9 messages
06/02/2012 at 11:56

Hello

I am thinking of getting a camelbak , I am training for a marathon ( my first) and think I now need to think about fuelling . S was thinking of getting a camelbak can anyone advise me on them where to get them etc as there seems to be loads of models?

Also what energy drink /powder etc would you recommend to use to give me that boost during long runs and where is the best place to get them . New on the fuelling thing as never run this far before !!!!! But did 10 miles yesterday and could have done with a pick me up !!!

06/02/2012 at 12:12
I just have the cheapest lightest version. It holds about a litre and a half. I usually take a litre of fluid with me. On the longer runs that would be a couple of bottles of Lucozade(BOGOF). Cheaper to make your own with powder. Also good for carrying keys and gloves etc but if you want to carry more stuff then get a larger one.
cougie    pirate
06/02/2012 at 12:23
I prefer to just use water in the camelbak, and use gels for energy.
If you use energy stuff in the camelbak you have to keep it a lot cleaner as the bugs will thrive off the sugars.

You should be good to run a half marathon without any supplements - your body should have enough energy stored to get you through that distance.
You were probably just tired from the unusual distance ?
06/02/2012 at 14:47
I use water in mine with gels as we are up to 16 miles now but made a mistake at the weekend as it was so cold that my water froze in the tube. My friend had a sports drink in hers and it was fine.
cougie    pirate
06/02/2012 at 14:54
You can get insulated sleeves to go round the feeding tube.

Either that or add antifreeze ?
06/02/2012 at 15:25
I just didn't think about it at the time, that will teach me. Am hoping it wont be that cold again now. LOL
06/02/2012 at 15:51
cougie  wrote (see)
You can get insulated sleeves to go round the feeding tube.

Either that or add antifreeze ?

i made my sport drink with boiled water cooled down once , was nice, warm drink and the backpack kept me warm too
cougie    pirate
06/02/2012 at 16:09
I nearly drowned myself doing that once. I'd put hot water in for a night time mountain bike ride.

When I went to get some water - it was exactly the same temperature as my mouth so I didn't realise I was sucking in any water to begin with - so i tried to breathe it. Much spluttering later - and it had cooled a bit so it didn't happen again...
06/02/2012 at 16:12

oops! i did think about putting hot water in mine thinking  that by time i needed a drink it would have cooled to luke warm, but thought it may have perished the rubber bits in the bladder/tubes etc

drowning by camelbak-thats a new one!!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
9 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.