Camelbak - yes or no?

21 to 40 of 45 messages
14/05/2013 at 18:25
Black And Tabby wrote (see)

I've recently bought a Decathalon version of a Camelbak as I was planning on using it on long runs in the summer with an electrolyte tablet in. However washing it out before first use I realised how difficult it was to rinse it out properly!

Any top tips, or am I best to stick to just water in it for ease of cleaning?

Try filling it with water and then pop an alkaseltzer in, or any tablet that fizzes (such as those for cleaning dentures). My mum taught me this - it's also great for cleaning jewellery, especially rings and stuff with knobbly bits you can't get to!

14/05/2013 at 18:54
Petite Canarie wrote (see)
Try filling it with water and then pop an alkaseltzer in, or any tablet that fizzes (such as those for cleaning dentures). My mum taught me this - it's also great for cleaning jewellery, especially rings and stuff with knobbly bits you can't get to!

Fab - thank you!

14/05/2013 at 21:09

Thanks all.

I think the consensus is fairly resounding!  I think I'll get myself one.  I generally don't bother with anything while running up to 10 miles, but with the (hopefully) hotter weather coming in, I'm thinking it would be a good idea to have something to hydrate with while out and I can't be doing with bottle belts.

14/05/2013 at 22:50

I always soak my bottles and things in Milton to kill anything, I think the biggest problem is if you ever have protein based drinks in them.

B.T.W - A drop of gin or vodka is great for cleaning diamond rings.

15/05/2013 at 08:41

B.T.W - A drop of gin or vodka is great for cleaning diamond rings.

I'll have to persuade somebody to buy me a diamond ring so I check the gin/vodka method in that case

15/05/2013 at 21:17

Another vote for the camelbak octane xct. I managed to pack jacket, trousers, survival bag, first aid kit, hat, phone, gels, flapjacks and a 300g sachet meal in mine, oh yes and 3L of water too! A bargain at 50 squids 

No need for freezing the poor thing  just empty (bladder and tube) and hang upside down with filling cap off till completely dry. Been using mine for about 3yrs on and off and had no problems.

Edited: 15/05/2013 at 21:18
15/05/2013 at 23:35

I use a camelbak classic 2L on long runs over about 1:40 .. It doesn't have a chest strap but it really doesn't need one.. I attach the tube across my chest and hook it to the other side. Great for carrying a snack and keys/change/phone for those long runs too.

After experimenting with waist packs (don't like them as they do not sit still) and aa running back pack(which I use if I need to carry extra clothes).. The camelbak is the best option. 

16/05/2013 at 22:43

I have a Tesco one - 1.5 l water and 4.5 l of other stuff. Chest & waist strap, £16 I think. Very comfortable indeed.

17/05/2013 at 20:26

I too have tesco one,fine to wear but rchart ops that Iam wearing and makes them hobble,do you get this on camelback

19/05/2013 at 16:47

Well, after some shopping around, I've taken the plunge and having found an Octane for only £12 more than I was originally expecting to pay for the classic, I've gone for this.  Order placed and dispatched so am looking forward to trying it out.  Unfortunately, it probably won't be until next weekend as I won't get a long one run in before then.  Looking at the weather, if this holds up, then I think I might be glad to have it

19/05/2013 at 19:47

May be useful to wear it over a shorter run in order to ensure it fits correctly and fiddle around with straps etc before you find it sawing into your arm 12 miles away from home. 

26/05/2013 at 22:24

Looked at another el cheapo pack,but think camel bak is worth it..

27/05/2013 at 20:40

I use a Camelbak Alterra, it is a waste pack style but very stable. Has  a number of pockets for gels and such too.

28/05/2013 at 14:38

I've been thinking about getting a camelbak, never bothered taking anything on my runs but finding on the odd hot days we've gotten needed water badly. I don't really like the hand water bottles.

29/05/2013 at 22:18

I use a camelback style of rehydration system, the major downside I find (IMHO) is that for the longer duration runs the water heats up due to the conduction of heat from your back, this is made worse on hot days. A lot of the serious ultra guys dont like them because of the time spent re-filling them at check points in comparison to the bottles, and its difficult to monitor your hydration levels because of not realy being able to see it.

Other than that they are great bits of kit, the load feels well balanced on your back. Top tip though... get all of the air out of the bladder before closing it, the sloshing noise drives me nuts!! is this just me?

29/05/2013 at 23:22

I lost my bladder for mine so just use he bag,carry large water bottle and get it out as Iam running along,kinda got the hang of it now..

like the fact you can see how much your drinking,only get the bottle out at 10 miles 

29/05/2013 at 23:32

I vote for Camelbak (but on the long runs) as you can carry 1-2 L's with you.

30/05/2013 at 17:08

So many different types,there is a classic 2 ltr on sports direct for 35 at mo,just not loads of room for storage for gels ect

30/05/2013 at 22:27

Then again the xtc one looks nice with side pockets for gels

Edited: 30/05/2013 at 22:27
30/05/2013 at 23:37

I have the Octane XCT and its a great pack. Those side pockets are ideal.

21 to 40 of 45 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.