Ciclosport speed distance system

anyone considering it

12 messages
01/12/2002 at 10:46
Have you seen the speed distance system by Ciclosport on page 65 of Runners World.

Anyone got one or considering getting it.

Could be a good compromise between Timex and Nike system.

01/12/2002 at 13:25
I certainly am considering it! Bargain price and seeing as its just as cheap as the Nike Tailwind and easier to read when running (ie. don't have to stop and examine your foot to read info) it seems like a rather good wotsit
01/12/2002 at 17:22
Jon,

Keep me updated if you get one. It does look like it could be good if accuracy and reliablility are OK, plus can combine with their heart rate monitor to get reading on one watch.

No way I can justify getting one since just bought the Timex SDM, but like to keep up-to-date for future reference.

Karoake (Gadget Boy)Pacer

01/12/2002 at 17:58
Timex SDM's seem to do the trick! Venom has one and he swears by it. It looks like January (post christmas!) if I do get one!
02/12/2002 at 10:18
Timex SDM? - gotta join this thread...

The Ciclosport certainly looks interesting, although I reckon you need to buy the HRM as well to make it really useful (checking the data on your wrist is a hell of a lot easier than trying to look down at your waist). Even with that, £250 for SDM and HRM is a very good deal. I'd certainly be interested in hearing anyone's experience of it (particularly regarding accuracy).

Regarding accuracy, my Timex SDM measured a 10 mile race (Thanet) at 10.04 miles this weekend. Pretty damn impressive methinks.
03/12/2002 at 16:37
I agree it sounds imteresting, two questions though;

a) does anyone out there understand how it works and whether the technology is plausible?

b) if you have the HRM with it do you definitely get all the data on your watch?
03/12/2002 at 16:58
Hi Tom,

I looked up Ciclosport web page.

Blurb says its the same technology that police radar speed guns work on ie Doppler effect (measures change in frequency of the radar waves in relation to motion). A long time since I did physics but I guese that speed guns need to be accurate.

Not sure what the radar waves bounce off - the ground I suppose and then back to the unit and the frequency change depends on the speed the runner is going.

The specificiation about what can be viewed on the watch looked OK. Or at least I think that what I was reading and not just what can be viewed on the unit itself.

This really does look like an alternative to check out - but who will take the plunge first?
03/12/2002 at 17:48
thanks someone will take the plunge soon no doubt!!
03/12/2002 at 21:13
KP... They bounce off the ground I think!
04/12/2002 at 09:55
If anyone's thinking about the Nike SDM I have one for sale - used 8 times - for anyone with a spare £150.....
04/12/2002 at 10:27
What is the webpage for the Ciclosport SDM?

Thanks
04/12/2002 at 11:01
http://www.ciclosport.de/eng/html/index.htm

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
12 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.