Combo trail / road men's shoe for wide foot

Suggestions please

2 messages
29/01/2012 at 17:22

Last year I bought a pair of Mizuno Wave Ascend 5 for use on mixed runs (bit of road / bit of trail).

At first they suited me fine but as my runs have got a bit longer (and maybe my feet spread a bit?) I find that they are too narrow in the toe box.

Can anyone with wide feet suggest some candidates for a replacement pair?  I'm after:

• wide-ish fit in the toes
  • good balance between grip in mud and longevity on road
  • not goretex / waterproof

Thanks

------------

PS my normal road running shoes are Brooks GTS 11.  I've read folks recommending these for trails which may work fine for them but is no good for me.  Mud where I am is fairly gloopy but the Mizuno's handle this well where my Brooks have me sliding all over the shop!

Edited: 29/01/2012 at 17:27
30/01/2012 at 16:00

I tried on a bunch of shoes today and went for a size 11 (half size up on usual) Saucony Xodus 2.

I quite fancied a pair of Salomon shoes (appearance + never had a pair before) but they were all way too narrow.

A run this afternoon confirms that while the fit with the new shoes is snug-ish at the mid-foot I'm not getting the toe-crunching I was with my Mizunos.

So I'm happy

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
2 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.