Compression Socks or Calf Support

To help alleviate Shin Splints

21 to 23 of 23 messages
20/02/2014 at 10:54

Just for the record, I had shin splints many years ago and I did feel that calf length compression socks / guards helped me. But, since I was doing other things to aid my problem, like running more off road, treadmill and reduced mileage as well as doing more exercises to help, it is hard to say if it was responsible or not. But, in my opnion, it cannot doing any harm. Maybe sometimes the placebo affect of doing something can help. I also figured that even the worse case scenario was that they were keeping my muscles warmer and that was a good thing in the winter months. I would also assume that they help reduce the muscle vibration a little, at least in my simplistic view it does! But the most important thing to know about shin splints is that the only real cure is less or no running until the problem is fixed. It's a tough one for us runners to accept. 

20/02/2014 at 13:13

I don't think anybody has suggested that wearing calf guards can cause harm so I'm not sure why you have pointed out that wearing them cannot "doing any harm".

20/02/2014 at 13:50

……any harm in the cause to potentially reduce the effect or occurence of shin splints.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 23 of 23 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.