Cross country spikes for children

Are they suitable and where can I get them?

21 to 23 of 23 messages
07/11/2012 at 10:22

what length spikes for muddy conditions, my kids all have xc spiked running shoes but only with quite short pyramid style spikes, they did their first major race at the weekend and some kids had huge spikes! theirs were pretty much all clogged up by the end of the race, so i was thinking about getting longer ones, but not sure how big to go!

07/11/2012 at 15:05

depends how muddy. For cross-country I'll use anything between a 9mm and a 15mm. For a park course, 9mm is fine. For moderate mud, 12mm is fine. 15mm to be reserved for absolute bogs (Parliament Hills), and usually for me I only put them in the front. I would say 12mm is max for younger kids until they have control over where the extremities of their limbs are! But short 6mm spikes will do absolutely nothing for cross-country unless it's a us-style golf course!

07/11/2012 at 22:09

thankyou for that, very useful info! off to buy some longer spikes!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 23 of 23 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.