Distance-measure gets out of sync in race

What to do if GPS/footpod shows srong distance during race?

21 to 28 of 28 messages
18/05/2009 at 20:26
TBH, at my "level" of competition (if you can even call it that!!!!) I have never even thought about rules and regs, is every event covered by those rules and regs?
18/05/2009 at 21:38

Well, my experience of real-time pace readings on Garmins is that they're a bit erratic. There's a lot of calculation going on in that little unit and the readout is usually behind the time. I'm not convinced of their value for serious purposes. The other problem is that people get obsessed with their pace every few metres and spend more time peering at the GPS screen than watching where they're going (I know, I used to do that).

As an antidote to this and to restore spatial awareness, I recommend wearing an iPod

19/05/2009 at 08:40
Realtime calculation is frankly pants on any GPS watch, avg pace over a mile is much more reliable.
19/05/2009 at 08:44
Agreed, but there's a setting somewhere to set the degree of smoothing - changing it to "Most" helps.
19/05/2009 at 16:56

Given the numbers of people using GPS in races, I don't think the organisers are bothered.

I use it to make my run more comfortable and therefore more enjoyable - I'm never going to win anything, so it's not really an issue if I did get disqualified. 

I'd still know what my time was, from my handy Garmin

19/05/2009 at 17:44

Want to run a sub X time race of a certain distance, harden up and train for that.

600M short of 21KM, poor training.

19/05/2009 at 18:07
No, poor gps lock is what we are talking about, and how to make allowance for it, Taffia
19/05/2009 at 21:47

I take the point that the 'Current Pace' setting on the Garmin can be a bit erratic and lags a bit behind, but I still find it an extremely useful tool just to keep things in check really.

If you've done plenty of training runs at your anticipated race pace then you know roughly how fast you're running just from how you feel - but a quick check on the 'Current Pace' screen just makes sure you're about right. I find this really useful in a Marathon in particular becuase it slows you down a bit, especially early on. How many people have suffered in the last 6 miles because they went off a bit quicker than they intended? If you use your Garmin sensibly you can address that - you don't need to check it every 10 yards or so - just a quick glance every few hundred yards to check is all it takes and you're sorted.

As I say, it worked an absolute treat for me last weekend in my Marathon - my pace was perfect. I ran the first half in 1'36.22, and the second half in 1'36.02 and all I did was to check it every so often and just back it off a bit so I didn't blow up at the end.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 28 of 28 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.