Dodgy Ashmei gear

1 to 20 of 25 messages
14/01/2014 at 08:27

Deeply unimpressed. Got an ashmei top for Christmas, which to be fair was in full working order. Wore it once, washed it once, and suddenly there was a hole in it. We returned it but all the company would do is repair it. Customer service really poor, their email implied we were responsible for the damage, which was really annoying given we paid £80.

I think also there is just a basic problem with their concept. Merino wool is a lovely material, but its just not going to stand up to any kind of rough use, forget doing anything apart from road running, the material is so flimsy, if it catches on anything it will pull.

The only thing impressive about this company is their prices

cougie    pirate
14/01/2014 at 08:53
You can get merino tops for ??20 or so now. Plenty off people use them as layers for cycling. Ashmei are crazy prices.
14/01/2014 at 08:55
Mike Harradine wrote (see)

. Merino wool is a lovely material, but its just not going to stand up to any kind of rough use,

I've been using a merino base layer for climbing and trekking and never had any issues with it, and it has had some serious abuse over the last 5 years and still looks as good as new

seren nos yn canu    pirate
14/01/2014 at 08:56

did you join up just to post this comment.......if so you felt so strongly that you had to post it twice.....

If there was no hole in it when you got it.how is it supposed to be their fault........have any more holes appeared......

If there was no hole and then you created one.then surely it s your fault..

I'm confused

14/01/2014 at 09:12

I absolutlely did join up just to post this thread, never underestimate the motivational power of poor customer service

(I would add that I regularly visit the site, however, as I'm training for my first marathon and the forums have been really helpful on advice for my injuries).

It was fine when we got the top, but after 1 wear, and one wash, theres a hole in it. You tell me where in that scenario we are at fault?

Happy to hear comments back about merino, this is my first experience with the material, and obviously, its been coloured by whats happened.

If you look around on the forums, you'll also see others feeding back about the quality, and more imprtantly the poor customer service that Ashmei offers. I'd like to share that experience, and surely this forum is an acceptable place to do that?

Hope that clears up the confusion :0)

14/01/2014 at 09:15

Ah, The power of a good moan...

Would be nice if you made it clear what you are moaning about :-

A) Mrs H's laundry technique

B) Ashmei kit

C) Ashmei customer service

D) Merino wool

Pudge    pirate
14/01/2014 at 09:16

Is Ashmei kit as didgy as your spelling? 

14/01/2014 at 09:21

don't blame the mrs dave.

,it could have been the machine.or he says that if you catch it on anything......so i presume it could have caught on a branch or a zip or something....

Mike........if a stranger walked into your pub and then used the toilet and came out saying he had seen a ghost would you believe him or actually take much notice of what he said.......probably not.

if a close friend or family member who you trusted did so then you might take a lot more notice....

if you want to use the power of negative feedback you would be better of talking to your friends and family and posting on the internet forums that you regularly use.it would be much more effective

14/01/2014 at 09:31

sounds like you created a hole in the top and they said they would repair it.  thats decent customer service.   i can understand that after shelling out £80 you would want new but you are still going to end up with a new, mended top.

14/01/2014 at 09:35

Hmm, not sure about that Ghost analogy, sounds a bit 'didgy' :0)

Thanks for taking the time to give me pointers though, all comments gratefully received. Its been a really frustrating experience, to be honest. The Mrs bought me the top, as a very expensive gift to support me running my first full marathon, after I had to cancel the last run when my daughter decided to be born on the morning of the race. My Mrs was well chuffed and I was both amazed and pleased with the gift on Chrimbo morning.

Now I'm gutted, we haven't done anything with the top apart from wear and wash (she even washed it on its own for the first (and only) wash, as she wasn't sure if it would run. It came out of the washer knackered. The customer service has been poor, and they have intimated its our fault (as some above have done also), even though it really isn't. Heaven forbid it was just a bad batch of tops? The assumption from Ashmei that we have damaged it is probably more frustrating than the original fault.

I'll take on board the comments above, and genuinely apologise if I have misused the runners world forum, but I genuinely would hate for other runners to have this experience. As you say, seren nos, maybe I'll stick to feeding back to friends and family and leave it there.

14/01/2014 at 10:21
80 quid? Is it going to run the race for you?
14/01/2014 at 11:37

mike.  i would feel exactly the same as you.  for 80 notes you would expect a 2nd wear but it sounds like a freak one off that your machine knicked it and created the hole.  as it went in ok and came out with hole.  so it is kind of your fault not theirs.  this hole could have happened on 1000th wear or the 1st or never.

that said even though them repairing it is a decent level of customer service its one of the reasons i buy from wiggle as they replace and keep the customer happy. so you would hope that Ashmei would realise its niche and good word of mouth is essential and replace to keep you happy.

14/01/2014 at 13:01

If this had happened to me and I was convinved it was a fault in the product not the way it had been washed etc _ I would be tempted to leave negative feedback on their Facebook page if they have one where more people would see it - I've done that a few times with various companies (to mixed results to be honest) both with both personal and work related things.

That said - their stuff is pretty expensive.

Edited: 14/01/2014 at 13:03
14/01/2014 at 13:26

If it was a seam come undone or something then i could understand blaming the manufacturers.........but a random hole..........suddenly appearing without them doing anything to it.......

It sounds like something my kids would have said a few years ago......it just broke.we didn't touch it or anything....

14/01/2014 at 14:26

Thats pretty much word for word what Ashmei customer service said, Seren nos, but imagine this...imagine if we weren't lying, were just being honest and were massively disappointed after spending a pretty large amount of money on a top that didn't last 2 runs. Imagine how you would feel if the people you bought it from intimated the problem was yours, even though you didn't mistreat the product in any way? Fair enough, if the washing instructions said don’t put it in the washing machine, and we did. None of our other clothes have come out damaged. Imagine the frustration of that happening to you after your missus tried to do something nice for you for Christmas.

You'd be pretty cross. Probably cross enough to want to negatively feedback about the company and how far below your expectations their service fell. And as I say, I'm not the only one on here that has had a problem with the way they treat customers.

I tell you what, if it was blag to try and get a replacement top after I'd deliberately knackered the first one, i certainly wouldn't be expending this much energy on it. But then again, you would have to know me and trust me for that statement to have any currency with you, which you don't. neither have they. Its just the assumption of the company that I'm a liar, and the fact that my Mrs paid them £80 for the privilege, that has, and is, really winding me up.

Like I said, if I’ve wound up people by not using the forum correctly, I am sorry for that, I hope people will forgive that as a newbie mistake. Apart from that, people will form their own views on the post and act accordingly.

XX1
14/01/2014 at 14:44

Mike -- Where abouts in the garment did the hole appear?

XX1
14/01/2014 at 14:52
Right on the chest. They ship the top with a safety pin attaching the label to the top, we weren't sure whether this had caused a small hole that the wash and run exacerbated, but we can't for the life of us remember where the safety pin was stuck in the top, so we didn't want to say that in case we were wrong.
14/01/2014 at 15:06

When someone who's never posted before does so simply to complain (or praise) a product it does make people wonder.  

Seren's right, people will take it more seriously if it's someone who posts regularly.

Merino garments are usually worn as a base layer, so it's normally protected from snagging.

14/01/2014 at 15:29

mike - did the instructions say dont put in washing machine and you did? if so its defn your fault.  harsh but a lesson

14/01/2014 at 22:58

Think I'm with mike here. If I paid 80 for a top that I could have got a lower quality version of for £20 and I used it fully in accordance with the instructions, I would have an expectation of durability and top end customer services as that is what you are paying for compared to the £20 top.

The benefit of doubt has to go to the consumer that the top had a latent defect. 

1 to 20 of 25 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.