Electrolyte drinks- thoughts please?

21 to 23 of 23 messages
01/11/2012 at 18:25
runs-with-dogs wrote (see)

There actually is data that substantiates their claim pretty solidly, but as the study was done on serious performance athletes I don't think it really means much to the average runner/cyclist of modest ability. But it's not BS. They're one of the few companies that can back up their claims.

I thought that the point was that you're bound to see better fat burn if you don't fill up on high sugar drinks whilst you're exercising.

I always thought that this was at best disingenuous as it was the same companies who've been pursuading everyone to drink the energy drinks for the past few years to 'improve performance'. Now they're trying to sell a water equivalent and marketing it by saying that we'll loose more weight if we drink it instead of their energy drink.

Edited: 01/11/2012 at 18:29
01/11/2012 at 19:14

Yes redjeep -I totally agree with you.

If a well trained endurance athlete goes out and run on Water OR an electrolyte drink they will burn a certain percentage of fat and a certain percentage of carbs(glycogen).

If the same athlete goes out and does the same run but drinks a sports drink like body fuel - one containing lots of carbs - they will burn more carbs  as there is a ton of sugar floating about in their blood stream.

So, even though the research is correct - it's not the ZERO that causes the extra fat burning - it's the lack of extra carbs.  

At least that's how I read it.  I think it's a pretty cynical marketing ploy - they should sell it on what it is and what it can actually do rather than making a truthful but misleading claim about fat burning.  It's a bit like sticking a sign that says 'Cholestrol free' on a bag of apples.

02/11/2012 at 17:06
GymAddict wrote (see)

Yes redjeep -I totally agree with you.

If a well trained endurance athlete goes out and run on Water OR an electrolyte drink they will burn a certain percentage of fat and a certain percentage of carbs(glycogen).

If the same athlete goes out and does the same run but drinks a sports drink like body fuel - one containing lots of carbs - they will burn more carbs  as there is a ton of sugar floating about in their blood stream.

So, even though the research is correct - it's not the ZERO that causes the extra fat burning - it's the lack of extra carbs.  

At least that's how I read it.  I think it's a pretty cynical marketing ploy - they should sell it on what it is and what it can actually do rather than making a truthful but misleading claim about fat burning.  It's a bit like sticking a sign that says 'Cholestrol free' on a bag of apples.

Exactly!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 23 of 23 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.