Fat Forefoot striker needs help

HELP! shoes needed for very wide forefoot striker

21 to 40 of 42 messages
07/01/2013 at 13:45

This sort of shows the bit that I cut away (not the hole in the upper, that's just wear and tear , but just next to the hole there's a wavy ridge which I cut off.

http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i400/eleqim/IMAG0237.jpg

Edited: 07/01/2013 at 13:46
07/01/2013 at 13:57

I find shoes where the uppers are made of flimsy fabric a real pain. The Nike luna racer is one example. Uppers that don't hold your feet in place are a source of all sorts of things especially blisters.

If your feet are bulky enough to splay out, the only solution is to go for a shoe with a really robust upper. Fell running/ off road shoes are usually pretty tough. 

Shoes must fit well, movement causes blisters.

07/01/2013 at 14:05

^ That is a fell running / off road shoe

Tough off-road shoes are tough.
One's built to other metrics aren't. 

"If your feet are bulky enough to splay out, the only solution is to go for a shoe with a really robust upper."

Or to find a shoe that's the right width. All a 'robust upper' is doing is forcing your foot into an unnatural shape.  

http://i.imgur.com/XvXV1.jpg

Edited: 07/01/2013 at 14:10
07/01/2013 at 15:23

Sarah, with my little feet I've never had cause to check if there's any difference between men's and ladies' VB Neos. You could always telephone the London store, or send them an e-mail, and ask - details available online. Or accept you're going to pay one return postage and order one pair of each and see if there's a difference/which fits your feet better.

Ian, I recently bought a pair of Inov 5 Trailroc 235s ready for the Lakeland 50 (on the Lakeland trails of rock & shale I want a little more underfoot protection than I get from Neo Trails - which were fine for North Downs Way 50). Anyway, I've been recommended to reinforce that area where your shoes have developed a hole, using shoe goo, before wearing them - apparently it's a well-known weak spot.

RicF: if the outer sole of the shoe (and the corresponding inner) sole is narrow, and your foot is wide, then your foot will hang over the side of the sole, pushing into the fabric of the upper, and the inner sole will dig into the sole of your foot*. Interestingly, I tried on a pair of VFF Sprints recently and found this to be a problem - the middle of the foot was simply too narrow for my feet. If your feet are very wide, you might have to go up several sizes - and end up with the shoes an inch or more too long - before the sole is sufficiently wide.

*Get a piece of 2-by-1 wood and try standing on it with bare feet. Your feet hang over the edges, which dig into you - same thing with shoes if the sole is too narrow.

07/01/2013 at 15:56

How have you found the 235 Debra? I bought the 245 and have found it has a bit of a sort of dead feeling to run in. There's nothing particulary wrong with it, but somethings lacking and I'm not sure what. Might be the rockplate just making it a bit too stiff, and I think the 235 might be quite a bit different in that respect.

07/01/2013 at 16:03

Debra, the shoefitr application may help you.  Its a US-based system but if you have a look at the shoes on runningwarehouse.com you can access it.

This compares different shoes from most of the major manufacturers and highlights where the pinch points are.  For example I used it recently when I bought a pair of Saucony Fastwitch from Wiggle - the shoefitr app showed I needed a half size bigger than my Saucony Mirage, and it was spot on - the shoes fitted perfectly.  It will show you which shoes are roomier in the mid-foot and the toe box than your current shoes.

I

07/01/2013 at 17:28

Well it appears this problem is unresolvable as regards conventional solutions.

Horses for courses. Personally speaking, if any choosen activity was causing me so many problems then I wouldn't bother with it. 

07/01/2013 at 18:10

I can run like the wind... I love running, its fun, its free, Id never give it up! If the gym allowed it  If stones, glass, mud and rubble didnt exist I'd run barefoot... Unfortunatley we have been accustomed and are now expected to wear shoes. I just cant find any that dont hurt my feet, thats all! 

Had lots of great help though from here, thanks everyone!

07/01/2013 at 19:02

Ian, I was lucky to visit Lakes Runner and try on the 245 and 235 and compare them with each other (I'd wondered whether I wanted the rock plate) and with the VB Neo Trail. Trying them on made it very easy to decide I didn't want the 245, for exactly the reasons you give - just too stiff and unyielding.* I know they're bringing out an even-more-minimalist version in the spring (215, I think), but since I was looking for a bit of protection and the 235 is nice and flexible, I thougth they would work. I wore the shop's trial pair of 235s in my size (4.5) for the Ambleside-to-Coniston evening (dark) recce for Lakeland 50 and they felt really good - gave some protection (which I think I'll want on a 50-miler on those trails), but very flexible, no rubbing or anything, and stuck to the rocks very well. So yes, if the 245 is too inflexible for you, try the 235.

*Now I'm used to running in flexible minimalist shoes, conventional running shoes feel like blocks of wood strapped to my feet! I have several pairs are only lightly worn but which I need to give away or throw away, because I'm honestly never going to wear them again.

stutyr: thanks for the suggestion. Doesn't actually include the shoes I'm interested in, but a great tool which might be useful for many runners.

07/01/2013 at 20:28

try merrell glove barefoot shoes (probably the bare access would be best as a starting place), they have super wide toe box's, and as someone else suggested the sketchers gorun range also are very wide in the toes. 

07/01/2013 at 20:42

Thanks Debra!, I think I'll have to try/buy a pair then : ).
I'm quite tempted by the Lakeland 50 too, or maybe the 10 peaks short-course. 50 miles is roughly twice what i've done in the past, so might be biting off a bit too much. I'll probably come to a decision after a few beers : )

07/01/2013 at 22:55

I found the Merrell shoes too narrow...

Ian M Lakeland 50 is fully booked for 2013, but I believe there's a waiting list you can go on, as there will be people dropping out due to injury. I'd work up to it if I were you - I did a 50K, then a marathon (yes, 50K first to get the distance before worrying about speed) then a 30 miler, then NDW 50, and I intend to have done three more 50-milers before I get to Lakeland 50.

09/01/2013 at 19:48
Sarah jarman 5 wrote (see)

I have measured my feet width at 255mm

I can't get my head around this, is that per foot?!? Are you in the guiness book of records? I would've thought you get some special deal from shoe companies for having the widest feet in the world?!

09/01/2013 at 21:00

Are you thinking in cm Lardarse?? its not actually that much, seeing as though I fit my feet comfortably into normal lady shoes, I think youre talking out of your arse! 

Ok its actually 250...

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/755065/gallery/photo.jpg?width=350

Am I THAT deformed??

09/01/2013 at 21:03

I actually made a joke and wrote (lard)arse, but it didnt show for some reason!!

09/01/2013 at 21:51
I can see why he was confused

250 is the circumference not the width.
09/01/2013 at 22:04
Ahhhh ok, I see! I was just going with what the site I used said... They said measure the width of your feet by doing 'this'... So I did!
10/01/2013 at 22:21

I can run like the wind... I love running, its fun, its free, Id never give it up! If the gym allowed it  If stones, glass, mud and rubble didnt exist I'd run barefoot... Unfortunatley we have been accustomed and are now expected to wear shoes. I just cant find any that dont hurt my feet, thats all! 

Had lots of great help though from here, thanks everyone!

19/01/2013 at 14:13

Sarah, I to have extremely wide feet, so much so that the shape of my feet are more like rectangles than the kind of tradiontional bacon shaped type foot shape (if that makes sense).  I bet like me, having wide feet means you run on your forefoot, meaning heavy trainers are waisted on you? I've tried asics and new balance, but wide fits are extremly hard to find, until I discovered a revalation in running - Skechers.  Yes I know they are not a brand you don't associate with running, but with their shoes I don't get blisters, I don't get balck toenails (problems nb and asics caused me) and I run hard every day.

Read reviews online for the Skechers go run ride and the Skechers go-bionic (RW Editors choice in October).  Everyone who tests them loves them, even they don't want to - its called brand snoberey I'm afraid.  Fact is now, all my pb's have been run in skechers shoes, and seemingly everyone who test's them, adopts them.  Wide toe box is one of their trademarks  I got so depserate for my friend Sarah (great running name that) to try them, I actually bought her and made her try them, now my club has two people that get laughed at for wearing their shoes!!  

19/01/2013 at 17:17

I have an interesting mix of skinny little heels / midfoot and wide, splayed forefoot, perhaps the best fitting shoe I have is the New Balance MT110, I also have the New Balance MT1010's and find these to be too wide in the forefoot, very unusal for me.

21 to 40 of 42 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.