Fat Forefoot striker needs help

HELP! shoes needed for very wide forefoot striker

1 to 20 of 42 messages
06/01/2013 at 19:36

Hello

I am a ladies size 7 forefoot striker and always have been. I have struggled to find shoes that my feet dont try and totaly destroy (always the feet that come the cropper).

I have measured my feet width at 255mm (is that 4ee or 2ee?) and my men's size 7.5 brooks pure connect are simply not wide enough leaving my feet hanging over the sole making a longer run very painful so I have to pad up my feet with blister plaster and bunion shields for the next run. I also have a problem with my toenails coming off every now and again, or at least hurting for a while (the ones next to big toe and they dont sit more forward that the big, just nice and neatly next to it).

I now dont care if I get barefoot or not, I just want a shoe that DOESNT HURT!

Can ANYONE help?

06/01/2013 at 19:37

some typos in there, sorry 

06/01/2013 at 19:44

Buy some shoes that fit your feet then.

Edited: 06/01/2013 at 19:45
06/01/2013 at 19:49

WHERE FROM though and what sort? Ive tried SOOO many! Up and running shops havent helped at all with their range and dont have any barefoot either...

All I want to do is run and not be crippled afterwards, I can run loads but the shoes stop me 

06/01/2013 at 20:02

Oh by the way, Im not fat, My FEET are fat! Im a very healthy 5'8 10.5 stone athletic build so its not my weight thats make my shoes hurt!! 

06/01/2013 at 20:08
New Balance do different widths with some of their shoe models.
06/01/2013 at 20:16
Problem with new balance is that that while they do do wider fits that are suitable for forefoot runners you have to order them direct from the US. Apparently all Europeans have uniform width feet..... The only wide fits they do in the UK are for larger heel strikers.

Could try getting some Newton gravities half or a full size up from normal.
06/01/2013 at 20:20

Shoes are designed along conventional lines. The manufacturers are not in the business to make shoes, they are there to make money. if the shoes don't sell, then they don't make them which is one reason size 13 plus are rare.

If your feet are an unusual shape/ build/ size then you won't get any conventional shoe to fit.

So either you have them custom built or do something else.

For what its worth I routinely cut holes out of my shoes wherever sore areas develop. Despite this, the shoes don't fall to bits.

06/01/2013 at 20:34
Surely you can forefoot strike in any
Type of shoe?
06/01/2013 at 22:00

Of course I can... 

What Im asking is: Can anyone advise on running shoes, cushioned, natural or barefoot that wont destroy my feet. Im not learning how to run properly, I can do that well, I'd just like to do with without having tons of plasters and padding in there to stop hobbling. 

Thank you RicF, I could cut them but its the actual sole (minimal anyway) that is the problem as my foot hangs over the sides thus causing pain on the under and outers of my feet. I could cut the ends off to stop my toes losing nails I suppose but its mainly the width... I think I must be a 4ee or a 2ee and probably best with a men's shoe?

Thank you Surrey, Ill have a look.

Anyone recommend Vff for this kind of thing? I do have very short toes too!

06/01/2013 at 22:08
If you are not bothered if the shoes are minimalist or not then you can get regular cushioned new balance in this country. Even in sports direct. My first ever pair were some 2E width ones, as I also have wide feet.
Now I just go up a size with regular shoes and rarely get issues.
06/01/2013 at 22:19

I've been using skechers gobionic recently which have a pretty massive toebox, which may work for you. Probably a few places stocking them to try.
http://www.runblogger.com/2012/03/skechers-go-bionic-review-lightweight.html

07/01/2013 at 09:52

Sarah, I have feet that are wide, particularly in the forefoot. Best shoes I've found to fit my feet are VivoBarefoot Neo (not Evo - they're slightly narrower), so you might want to try those. I'm a nornal-shoe size 4 and have found I need the Neo in a 38, which is sold as size 5 (although confusingly for the Neo Trail size 37/size 4 is fine). I was going up to as long as 5.5 in other running shoes whle trying (and failing) to get the width I needed not to mash up my little toes.

They're not "pinched in" at the instep, so you shouldn't find your foot overhanging the sole. They're on sale on the Millett's website in Mens size 7-10 at £44.99 at the moment. Worth a try?

07/01/2013 at 10:10

Yup, I'd also second everything that Debra's just said about the Neo, well Neo trail with respect to width. Unfortunately the sizes seem to be all over the place, so the size 45 Neo trails are a fraction too small for me, but the size 46 Breatho trails are massively oversize.

07/01/2013 at 11:28

Thank you Debra (and Ian M)

It is very helpful to find someone who might have funny feet like me. The [too small] brooks I have are D width so as long as they are wider than that then they should be ok?

Would you go with the men's or the ladies' sizes (as ladies shoes arent as wide are they?) Im a size 7.5 in the brooks and have been 7 in previous but take 6-7 in normal shoes. My toes always end up at the front trying to get out and causing nail loss! 

Its a family trait aparently! 

07/01/2013 at 11:43

Sarah, hi. 

I'm puzzled as to how your feet hang over the edges and ends of what; I assume, are the inner soles of your shoes.

From what I can see, the inner soles supplied with shoes fit so closely, that there are no gaps.

If of course you are using orthotics, then that is just a sizing issue. I myself had this problem and solved it by simply adding bits of other inner soles to the orthotics. 

The wonders of scissors and Duck tape.

07/01/2013 at 13:06

My feet hang over the insoles, and midsoles in many pairs of inov8s. The fabric of the upper just wraps round the foot and becomes wider than the insole and midsole.
In the case of the inov8 xtalons 190s and flite 195s there's a ridge on the midsole that causes a blister where my foot sits on top of it unless I cut away the offending bit of midsole. 

07/01/2013 at 13:13
The sole is rubber, at a set width like all shoes. The bit that holds your foot is fabric. My foot sits fine in that but when running, more pressure is applied and the foot splays. the fabric allows for foot splaying (as it should) but the runber doesn't. So I therefore just need a shoe all-in-all wide enough for my feet not to be landing on any kind of rubber that isn't wide enough for my duck feet! This is happening because the shoe isn't wide enough after getting going (ok in the shop) and the fabric trying to give my foot room.
Not an inner sole problem though.. Just need something with wide toe box and wider than a D abc preferably natural or barefoot.
07/01/2013 at 13:14
Hi Ian, I have my scissors right now, I'll let you know!
seren nos    pirate
07/01/2013 at 13:27

have you tried bigger shoes..........i'm normally a size 7 but in my asic shoes I run in a size 9.....always have done since i started and got help at a local running shop...........

some shoes do come in extra wide........i would go to a good running shop........

1 to 20 of 42 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.