First time gear

What to buy??

9 messages
06/12/2010 at 22:27

I'm thinking about buying some gear but i don't know what.

I do 1500 and some cross country (Like 3k).  I'm only just 13 so long distance to me will be different to long distance to you. (Probably). I don't know how much of that will be useful but i just want some simple gear to boost my stats.

P.S i'm not really on a budget, just nothing stupid. 

07/12/2010 at 00:34

Decent shoes are your first priority, you may well already have them.

Also, at this time of year you may well want some warm clothing (hat, gloves, buff, long pants, windproof jacket) so you can still get out in cold weather. If you carry a bumbag with you, you can strip off a bit if you get too warm.

If you like reading, get a book which will not only give you ideas about training, but may well inspire you on the occasions when you can't or haven't got the time to get outside.

Above all though, enjoy your running!

07/12/2010 at 01:00

Decent shoes .. above all else ...

But, just .. enjoy  

(Personally at 13 ... I hated cross country and loved sprinting, now I enjoy distance   I hope you realy enjoy it ).

Have fun!!

07/12/2010 at 17:02
gloves, hat and Vix vapor rub i find helps me in the cold. but shoes should be first...
07/12/2010 at 18:00
get yourself one of
11/12/2010 at 22:08
1st try to find a decent sports shop and have your gait analysed so they can suggest the appropriate running shoes. (You will either over-pronate, be neutral or supinate)

Warm weather gear - Specific running socks (not cotton), shorts, tech tee (wicking), cap to keep sweat, rain, sun out of the eyes.

Cold weather gear - tracksters or tights, thin gloves, running jacket (windproof/water resistant) to go over base layer (or long sleeve wicking top), running specific beanie, (most heat escapes through your head and it'll keep your ears warm)

That's all I've ever needed. Good luck!
12/12/2010 at 13:42
If youre going off road and away from houses/people, when you build up your distance you should always carry a mobile phone, whistle (Lifesystems ones are good and cheap) and spaceblanket (a couple of quid off ebay) with you. Its always good to have decent waterproof jacket (marmot mica) and trousers (inov8 or montane) too. The jacket and trousers mentioned are very lightweight and youll be able to stash them in a very small ruck or waistpouch - whichever you prefer. Hopefully youll never need them, but you will feel safer if youve got them on you. My advice - Stick with the off road.....its far more fun, but as others have said, makesure you get yourself some decent off road shoes and even more importantly make sure you get them fitted properly. Enjoy !
14/12/2010 at 16:14

I'd love to know what happened to Fat Buddha's post.....

Did he get interrupted in the middle of it? Or perhaps he was just being cryptic and he said all he was going to say? 

18/12/2010 at 16:39
spikes for xc

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
9 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.