forefoot striking

which shoes?

21 to 28 of 28 messages
25/04/2004 at 19:56
NRG, I doubt that there's any chance of a decent article in RW. I've been reading it on and off for 3 years and I don't think there's been a single new article in the last 2 years they're either old ones or obviously just press releases.

To do the article justice you'd need a proper journalist with a scientific slant that could read the several studies (not just the abstracts) that have been published recently on this subject and look at case studies (I'm sure there's plenty of volunteers here). I noticed that Tim Noakes had started doing this in the latest revision of the Lore of Running. Perhaps RW could commission Tim Noakes to do an objective article on this. The article could be published in both the US and UK versions of the mag so it would be money well spent.

I don't need convincing since switching to the 150's I doubled my weekly mileage without even a twinge, although I did have a blister on my toe after a 15 miler.

26/04/2004 at 08:44
TB: I think the Journo should also be a runner who has given forefoot running a good go. By that I don't mean a day reading Pirie or the Pose website but perhaps at least 8-12 weeks trying the technique with some of us.

The 150s are slightly tight (ie buy half-size bigger). I use (used!!) LockLaces (elasticated laces) which soon got rid of the blister I had on my little toe.
26/04/2004 at 09:48
Anyone know where I can try on some NB150s?

I have weird feet and while I note the recommendation for half a size bigger, it wouldn't necessarily be right for me.
26/04/2004 at 13:17
XFR: I don't know of any local shops. Fastfeet are in Bishops Stortford though.
I've ordered some small pairs for children on the basis that if they don't fit I can get them exchanged.
14/09/2012 at 12:35

Haven't been on these forums for ages, just looked at some of my old threads/posts. How times have changed with the whole forefoot/barefoot topic. Glad to say I'm still doing it. after years of puma h streets, gave up on them due to build quality with the uppers tearing from the soles after a few hundred miles (used to get 1200 miles out of them) I'm now wearing puma roadracer with the insoles removed, quite a high heel but doesn't seem to cause any issues.

19/09/2012 at 07:07

moor man,

I'm from Chicago, IL, USA.  I've posted a little on the Paris Marathon thread in Events.  Starting back in late April, I've been gradually shifting over to minimalist shoes.  I've become more of a midfoot/forefoot striker during the past 10 years, so I was curious as to how minimalist shoes would work for me.  I bought a pair of Nike Free Run +3-5.0 first, the a pair of Nike Free 4.0 V2 and New Balance Minimus 1010 about a month ago.  I started out just wearing the shoes to walk around at work, and then gradually putting running miles on them.  I was still rotating in my "normal" running shoes.  Three weeks ago I had a sudden twinge in my right knee, and the next 2 days my runs had to be cut short due to knee pain.  The 3rd day the pain started immediately, and I took 5 days off running.  When I started back running, on a hunch I went cold turkey over to all my runs in the minimalist shoes.  Right away I could feel the improvement.  Each day I could feel my knee getting stronger, as well as my calves and feet.  Eighteen days after my injury I ran 15 miles at the fastest pace I've managed in 3 months.  The Nike Frees are very lightweight and the soles are very flexible.  I have a much better feel of the road in them.  I do a lot of my mileage on concrete and seem to have adapted well.  I hope you have good luck in your shoe choice.

19/09/2012 at 07:12

I forgot to mention that the Nike Frees are about 75% the cost I'd been paying for my "normal" shoes.  I was paying up to $125 US per pair for "normal" shoes and I'd only get about 350 miles on them before the mid-sole cushioning would start to wear out.  The Nike Frees are around $80 US and I've heard of people putting up to 1,000 miles or more on them.  It sounds like I may end up saving quite a lot.

19/09/2012 at 07:56

Royboy, I've generally always stuck to puma as I have a very narrow foot and heel and they always seem to be the best fit. It also seems that recently my off road/trail shoes have become a lot more minimal. I've been wearing the nb minimus and the nb 110 for trail races. both seem to have worked really well for me. If anything I've gone for a bit more cushioning than I used to with the roads as the puma h street used to have next to no cushioning and the puma roadracer has that bit more.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 28 of 28 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.