Forerunner 405

hmmm...

1 to 20 of 87 messages
04/04/2008 at 11:22

Looks like a nice piece of kit.  At first I thought "what, no map" but then I tried to remember the last time I used the map on my 205 ... and I can't.

What's with the "Europe" and "Pacific" models though.  Are they style differences, or will they only work in those areas?  Or is it a marketing ploy to stop cheap imports?  I know Garmin bods watch these forums so an answer would be cool thanks.

04/04/2008 at 11:59
has anyone actually tried one on yet  the dimensions stated 4.5cm wide and 7.1 cm long would seem to indicate its not going to be much smaller then my 205 ?
04/04/2008 at 12:02
Does look nice and I might be tempted ... but the problem I have with my 205 in comparison to the old 201 is that the screen is smaller, making the readout smaller. My ageing eyes can't always focus on the tiny screen fonts, and I suspect this will be more of a problem with the 405.
04/04/2008 at 14:14

What I want to know is;

Will it work with my current 305 heart rate monitor? And do I need to start a whole new running log, or will the existing 305 software still work so I can continue adding my mileage & notes.

04/04/2008 at 14:45

Will it work with my current 305 heart rate monitor?

Yes it will 100%

FTM
17/04/2008 at 21:16

I've just completed my first marathon and was going to treat myself to a toy as a present do you think the 405 would be the right choice as I currently just have an old stop watch but want to start improving and this looks like a good tool for the job and it looks nice!

22/04/2008 at 10:23

Have managed to get hold of a 405 - it is smaller than my 205 (still sligthly bigger than a normal watch). I will write a review once I've had more time to play with it but here are more my first impressions:

1) Using the touch bezel, menu options and sending data wirelessly to PC takes a bit of getting use to.

2) Much quicker at locating GPS signal.

3) Garmin Connect is a much better option for looking at training data instead of Training Center software. Need to figure out how to use it with SportTracks s/w.

4) Display is smaller than the 205 and can only show up to 3 fields instead of 4 on the 205.

So far I'am quite pleased with it - definately found the 205 easier to use to start with though.

22/04/2008 at 13:31

Will be interesting to hear what you think of this as I'm considering getting either this or the 305.

What's the size of it like?

Can you only send data wirelessly to PC?  Not sure my PC is new enough for wireless.

23/04/2008 at 10:41

Beanie 1 - I will take a photo of the watch later on my wrist so you can see for your self.

I believe it can only send data wirelessly - I have installed the ANT agent on both a windows XP and 2000 pc and it wrok fine. Slight pain of having to install the ANT agent and then authorise it on the Garmin Connect website if you want to download into Garmin Connect (caught me out). Also the Training Center if  will need to be upgraded if you're already using it.

Do2    pirate
23/04/2008 at 10:53

Anybody buying a 405 and wants to sell on their 205? (or 305). Mail me - I know someone who may be interested.

Cheers

23/04/2008 at 11:18
Itching to use my 405 which has just arrived BUT it has been delivered with plug adaptor not suitable for UK (looks like the plugs in Spain etc). Called supplier who knows Garmin have failed to include correct plug for UK. Will have a few days to wait to use it as I can't charge it up. I don't suppose anyone has any bright ideas about how else I could charge it up? Patience, not one of my strong points!!
23/04/2008 at 13:14

You can pick up cheap adaptors easily enough. It's what I did when I got my 405. I called them up about it and they didn't seem to know what I was on about so I did my own thing.

23/04/2008 at 19:31

illegibly mine arrives tomorrow....! Has everyone who's got one already had the plug pin issue?

Cheers, BFB

24/04/2008 at 09:26

Mine has the 2 pin plug adaptor too - it is possible to use it in the UK 3 pin plugs you need to release the locking gate on the bottom two pins which you can do by inserting another 3 pin plog upside down into the plug and inserting the 2 pin adaptor at the same time. Probably won't win any safety awards for this!!

Or the other option is to remove the USB lead from the adaptor and use that.

What did Garmin say about supplying the 3 pin adatpors?

24/04/2008 at 12:14
Apparently Garmin have been told and will be sending them soon. In the meantime I have managed to charge mine with USB lead to laptop.
24/04/2008 at 12:18
Where are people buying them from ? Haven't seen any suppliers with stock yet.
24/04/2008 at 12:25
I had a look at these at FLM expo they look a bit better than the 305 but they are still a big 1970s divers watch, is there a danger of hitting the touch sensitive bit and turning it off?
24/04/2008 at 13:09

Recovery runner

Sweatshop had the first delivery in the country I believe.

Goldbeetle

You can lock the screen so you don't accidently change settings whilst running

24/04/2008 at 14:05
I have one on pre-order with Global Gizmos who say they are due in next Monday. I saw that Amazon had 5 left in stock last night which were supplied by expansys, so they are starting to filter through - not quick enough for my liking though!!
24/04/2008 at 14:39

I got mine today via Direct Web Retail, and it too came with the european plug... quick trip at lunchtime to Sainbury's for a 74p shaving adaptor, and it seems to have done the trick (it's on charge under my desk as we speak).  It's charged up fine and allowed me to have a play with it.  The bezel is very nifty.

Can definitely recommend Direct Web Retail as well.  Ordered yesterday lunchtime, arrive this morning - free p&p using Parcelforce 24 hour service.  Also emailed them about the plug problem and they came back to me really quickly.

1 to 20 of 87 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.