free watch?

8 messages
28/09/2009 at 17:32
Hi there,
I am going to suscribe to runners world and was wondering if the watch they give you free as 1 option is a decent one (if anyone knows?)
I have seen a good watch on wiggle I was planning on buying but I might reconsider if this free option is good enough?

Hope someone can help!

Thanks
28/09/2009 at 17:47
Define decent ?
28/09/2009 at 17:54
Not sure what they are currently giving away, but it will do start/stop and could even do lap, but beyond that check the website for details.
28/09/2009 at 18:03
Last one we got was crap. Really Really Crap.
28/09/2009 at 20:20
The pic in the latest magazine is different to the one I got, which bleeped incessantly at random times of the day until the battery wore out.

I think Mr Puffy sums it up very well.
28/09/2009 at 20:58

Don't know about the current one, but the free watches have been a constant source of amusement/frustration/ridicule ever since I've been on here. I can't remember when I joined, but I've been running for 10 years, and reckon I must have found this pretty soon after that!

I stuffed mine in the back of a draw & covered it with clothes to drown out thew incessant beeping, and total refusal to respond in any vaguely predictable manner to key presses before finally giving up & chucking it in the bin.

In short, buy a decent one. One which can record multiple laps is useful, as is one which has multiple countdown timers. The other thing to look out for is how the watch & strap meet. Most nowadays seem to be moulded all in one, which means you can't just replace the strap if it breaks. I had to ditch a perfectly good "watch" bcause of this.

28/09/2009 at 21:13
The free watch I got some time ago was - is- OK.  True the button for changing the mode fell off straight away. Luckily it was on stopwatch at the time, so that is what it does - records elapsed time. It also records up to 20 splits, after that the total time is ok, but the splits go a bit haywire. Fine for most races and if you do a marathon you just press the button every two miles instead of one (or whenever you remember). It's done what I wanted it to do for the last couple of years, so I guess I've saved a tiny bit of money. Probably will give up on me completely on my next run now!
28/09/2009 at 21:30
thanks people, I think I'll go for the wiggle option and opt for the discount off the magazines for the first 3 months instead!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
8 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.