Freezing Legs!!!

13 messages
10/02/2007 at 12:07
I am open to suggestions for a really warm winter tight!! Have looked at the Ron Hill aspiration winter tight and the Mizuno winter tight as I dont want to spend too much!!

Im fed up of wearing 2 pairs of tights and still getting a cold lower bottom and thighs!!

Is it worth toughing it out till they start selling off the winter stuff??
10/02/2007 at 16:46
Get some basic RonHills, theyre pretty thick, certainly warm enough for me and you can get them from around a tenner off most of the sites listed on here.

If you are still cold, then perhaps a cheap pair of cycling short length shorts under these would do?

If you live near a Decathlon store they also have cheap (but good) running gear
10/02/2007 at 16:51
i think a cold bottom and thighs is just what happens

if you put too many clothes on then you get too hot when you start running

although i may try the cycling shorts underneath option tomorrow as i know what you mean

10/02/2007 at 16:54
...i could have prob done with that approach today lurker - went out and it was ok..had thinish leggings on...cue rain, and gusty wind=cold me. Cursed myself for not putting RonHills on!
10/02/2007 at 17:04
I've been wearing RonHill Tracksters for training in recent zero and sub zero temperatures and found them OK. Needed gloves and hat too so perhaps having a warm head made me feel warmer all over? I tend to find I warm up after a couple of miles. Legs tingled when I showered afterwards though!
10/02/2007 at 17:12
Jenna, what about wearing some fitted cycling style shorts / boxers under your leggings? Like these http://www.girlsruntoo.co.uk/GirlsRunTooSite/category/Run+%2F+Walk_Bottoms_Pants+-+Underwear/
10/02/2007 at 18:04
Thanks for the tips.... cant do boxer style shorts.... they create a wedgie that is too big to bear!!

Will have to go and try on a pair of ron hill's!! The price certainly fits even if my bottom doesnt!!
P Q
10/02/2007 at 23:39
I must have legs of stone then coz I'm still running in shorts.
11/02/2007 at 21:05
My Concurve tights are really good - very fleecy inside. I got them from Pete Bland sports, they're on sale. The sizes are pretty large though.

You could also try some embrocation to keep your muscles warm (like deep heat).
05/03/2008 at 12:45

I can share a life-changing secret with you - cold legs can be a thing of the past!

For years I have run in the mountains near the Cairngorms and in the winter  after most runs when I came home, if my legs weren't actually numb then they were bright red and sore.

Last Christmas my lovely hubby gave me Mountain Equipment Powerstretch tights. Bless him!  I now look forward to taking on the elements.  I could say that Ileap and bound gracefully across the hills like a gazelle in tights but alas, no.  I still gasp and wheeze and question my sanity but now it's with a warm bum and legs.  I've run recently in a blizzard in these and they are the business.

Incidentally, he bought me Sealskinz waterproof gloves and a Montane extreme lightweight jacket too and they have made such a difference.  The only problem now with winter running is me!

Hope this helps, even though it's a bit late ... 

05/03/2008 at 14:40

Funny how people are different. I hate running with anything on my legs, so wear shorts in all weather (proper ones as well, not lycra). Never really have a problem with them being too cold, even when I've run through knee deep snow.

However, my hands will be in absolute agony even in pretty mild conditions. In fact if I don't wear gloves, my whole arm can "freeze" when I get back so I can't get my kit off for about 10 mins or more.

05/03/2008 at 18:32

Life would be awfully dull if we were all the same, wouldn't it?

I really don't envy the frozen arm scenario....

Riz
06/03/2008 at 09:02

I agree with exciled, I too cannot wear anything on legs, after 2 miles Im all heated up to normal, if i wear ronhills im way to hot and uncomfortable at the end of the run.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
13 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.