Front foot running but overpronate

Front foot running but I overpronate...do shoes matter?

10 messages
14/12/2012 at 11:31

Need some advice. Three years ago, I got my gait analysis done and figured that I overpronate. Since then I have been using ASICS GT-2170 and it has worked. For last 1.5 years, I have switched over to front foot running. I need to buy news shows and before I buy, I wanted some advice as to does it matter if the shoes have stability for overpronation given I am a front foot runner now ? 

14/12/2012 at 12:27

Not really. It is natural for feet to pronate, the arch of your foot acting as the shock absorber as it rolls inwards. I run in Brooks Green Silence just because they are light but offer some protection when compared to more barefoot style shoes. I land on the forefoot and my heel just touches but wouldn't say any weight goes through it. I weigh about 13 stone too so not a racing whippet! In conclusion, get a pair that are comfy and wide enough at the front so your feet aren't squashed up. Good luck!

14/12/2012 at 13:03

I land midfoot/forefoot but i still need a bit of support i think. Its possible that you can still overpronate in the forefoot cycle of the gait. That may or may not be an issue but i have found i have had issues when i have gone down to less supportive shoes.

14/12/2012 at 13:43

I land mid/forefoot and overpronate.  I wear GT-1160, but whether or not I need support...who knows.  I've not had any problems so far, so why change.

14/12/2012 at 13:50

Thanks for all your responses. Based on these, it feels like I can go for a comfirtable wide general good running shoes

14/12/2012 at 14:08
I used to, and still do when I'm knackered, underpronate. I also land mid-front foot. I generally wear a low drop shoe (6mm-0mm) and very occasionally go out in my old asics and I just can't get a comfortable mid foot landing as the heel always stops what my feet are trying to achieve.
14/12/2012 at 21:05

if you want something with support but feels good for forefoot striking then the obvious choices are Saucony Mirage or Brooks Pure Cadence, I have had both but preferred the Mirages.

I pronate and now run mostly in Saucony Kinvara's and love them, they don't have much support but they feel great and have never had an issues.

15/12/2012 at 08:48
Or buy some super feet inserts then you can use more or less any light neutral shoe!
15/12/2012 at 12:20
I am less convinced by the Mirages. For ally. That they are supposed to have a lower heel drop I have found them to feel quite bulky.
15/12/2012 at 13:02
The Triumph are similiarly bulky and the very flat sole encourages a real road slap if you try to mid foot strike. They do have a low(ish) drop but the midsole height is still huge. Kinvaras would be the best bet if you could expect more than 250 miles from a pair (a little more outsold please Saucony).

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
10 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.