Garmin 405cx and a shuffle or nike plus and a nano???

5 messages
18/01/2012 at 16:44

I guys I have a gadget dilema  I currently run with my sony erisscon xperia with run keeper and my music installed . Now its a bit cumbersum and if I dont wear my jacket I have nowhere to put, but i do like the info you get from run keeper  . (I am training for the marathon ) Now my birthday is coming up and was thinking about one of the following either the garmin watch with a ipod shuffle ( no extra weight)or nike plus with a nano ( would have to get arm strap). I want to be able to listen to music and track my average pace and route ?

Any thoughts on which is best ?????

18/01/2012 at 19:33
I don't think Nike+ has its own GPS so you won't get tracks. Personally I tried the Nike+ with the Sports band a few years ago and didn't get on with it, but I'm sure it has moved on.
Edited: 18/01/2012 at 19:34
19/01/2012 at 13:33

I had Nike+ with the attachment for my ipod, I hated it.

I don't wear Nike trainers, so I had to have the foot sensor on a little pouch on my shoe laces. I don't know if that was to blame in the problems with recording distance accurately but the Nike + was very hit and miss.

Also problems picking up the sensors (including picking up someone else's sensor! and then cutting off after a mile when we went different routes) and the foot sensor or the part that goes into the iPod not working properly. I had one Nike+ set as a gift and bought one myself, both stopped working within a year and when I spoke to a guy in the running dept at the Nike store he told me that he runs with a Garmin!

I've had my Garmin 305 since the summer and it is one of the best running-purchases I have ever made. My vote is for the Garmin every time

20/01/2012 at 13:19
Garmin/shuffle and upload your data to runkeeper via GPX file.
DAM
20/01/2012 at 23:09
The latest iPod nano has built in Nike+ that works without the foot pod.
Out of interest, I got it to measure my runs and compared the results with my Garmin. For the first three or four runs it massively over measured, but each time I calibrated it using the distance from the Garmin and it's got pretty accurate now - within a tenth of a kilometre over 10k.
Having said that, if you try to use it for intervals then forget it.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
5 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.