Garmin Forerunner 305 problems anyone else ?

Anyone esle having a problem with their new forerunner 305

181 to 200 of 288 messages
25/09/2007 at 00:10
I have noticed this recently. I press the mode button and just carry on. it seems ok.
Nav
03/10/2007 at 10:24
Has anyone tried the firmware upgrades? My forerunner would sometimes stop working after running more than a hour, looking at the upgrades website it mentions a GPS fix for multi-hour activities.
03/10/2007 at 11:24

Someone mentioned SportTrack software a couple of pages ago, as being better for maps than Garmin. Not difficult, I'll grant.

I've downloaded the SportTrack client, but when I try to import data from the Forerunner, it says it does not recognise the file type. Yet there is no option to alter or set any configuration options.

So does anyone know how to import data from the GPS device into SportTrack ?

17/10/2007 at 19:15

SportTrack importing data:

Eddie, I found that if I tried to import the data direct into SportTracks prior to importing it into the Garmin TrashWare then I got the same problem.

Solution: import it into the GTW first of all ....I'm afraid that you have to install the software....and leave it there; if you delete the GTW, it will not recognise the file type again.

So THEN import it into ST and hey presto success..

See what happens..

17/10/2007 at 19:23
Have found a problem with charging my 305. Despite putting it on charge for sometime it is showing low battery. I suspect thebattery within the Garmin has had it. Has anybody else had the same problem? Are Garmin good at replacing them even if the unit is out of warranty.
Kanga M    pirate
20/10/2007 at 16:48
What's the battery life like in the 305 ? Thinking of getting one for Ironman training/racing, but at 13+ hours around an IM I'm worried about the 10 hour battery life on the spec sheet.
21/10/2007 at 05:20

Kanga

I use it for halfs so I have not tested teh 10 hour limit. 

22/10/2007 at 15:39

HELP

I have had a 305 for a couple of years but recently got a replacement. Deleting the old 4.0 programme and rebooting with the new 5.01 I can't receive data from the watch. The watch makes the right noise and shows "transfer complete" but the PC screen says "communication problem".

I have tried deleting a reloading the new programme several times even trying updates from Garmin unsuccessfully getting "Invalid command line parameter (restart)

Device works fine, I just can't get data on the PC screen

22/10/2007 at 15:44

PS

Red Lion Sports replaced my 305 after an unsuccessful attempt to hurdle a dog, resulting in a cracked face (me and the 305) as "fair wear and tear"

25/10/2007 at 16:45

Does anyone have problems with HRM?

Mine after 3 miles losines beats and I think it is connected to strap too big did ask if they did a SMALLER STRAP WAS TOLD TO TIE A KNOT IN IT!!!!

27/10/2007 at 04:05

Are any of the problems with the 305 getting ironed out by Garmin? I was on the verge of buying one, but this thread has put me right off.

Incidentally, the best price at the moment is from Amazon - £140-ish

27/10/2007 at 15:19
I bought mine about five months ago. Worked very well until today - I can't switch it on despite a full battery recharge. Anyone had the same problem?
27/10/2007 at 15:39

Karo - try restart (press mode and reset/lap similtaneously)

Apart from the PC link up problem, the 305 works extremely well even in woods or among high sided buildings.Also has proved very useful for monitoring my  real,as opposed to imagined progress. In particular running against yourself "virtual partner" is particularly useful as is running around a virtual map

Still strongly recommended

27/10/2007 at 15:43
OOK! - that's done the trick - many thanks for that as I'd given up on it.
27/10/2007 at 18:04

You're welcome

Owners Manual page 6,last line.

I can't be smug, I didn't  know either  until someone told me

After 18 months, I'm still finding things it can do

Blisters    pirate
27/10/2007 at 23:39

OOK

It is a fantastic piece of kit.

I've found that it can do a 3 hour marathon, although the sad fact is that I can't.

What has recently annoyed me is that I'll set up for a "quick workout" marathon on distance and time, all nice and early. Turn off, go to bed, turn it on, and it starts as a boring 305 again, and forgets that I'm in a race situation. Pah, doesn't the thing have mind reading capability as well as eveything else? Pah.

RTFM I suppose.

BTW : does Spoortttracks record teh splits that teh Garmin holds?

28/10/2007 at 20:42

Sorry,don't know

The accuracy of the map is phenomenal - I can see where I have run back home on the other side of the road or even side stepped  through a kissing gate

The virtual partner is seriously weird : I can't help myself looking over my shoulder when the gizmo occasionally says I'm ahead

And I've never lost a satellite (yet)

02/11/2007 at 13:19

The unit is great.

Garmin Traininf Centre software does not seem to be so great.

I have been trying SportTrack software but the heart rate graph does not import.

No reply to my post on their forum might post as a bug.

http://sporttracks.zonefivesoftware.com/Discussion/viewtopic.php?t=2293

I have also noticed auto pause while I am running.

It is set to auto pause when stopped so should be fine.

Initially was impressed to notice it kicked in at traffic lights.
Satellite lock seems OK so why it should think I have stopped I dont know.

http://www.mapperley.com/support-garmin/Auto-Pause-001.jpg

Software Version ect here

http://www.mapperley.com/support-garmin/About-Garmin-01.jpg

Cheers Chris 

02/11/2007 at 16:55

CJ53

Have you checked the zone?

The lower limit might be too high, so cuts in when you're still running

02/11/2007 at 17:03

If you mean the zone for auto pause - it is set to "when stopped" as shown in the screen grab above. So I am assuming it will need me to stop.

I assume it also wait until it is sure the wearer has stopped.

Not sure if these auto pause auto resumes are actually dropping time or not?

Short of starting another stop watch each time I am stopped at traffic lights etc!

Cheers Chris 

181 to 200 of 288 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.